Will Rex Ryan Ever Get Another Shot To Coach in The NFL?

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Not even as a DC or position coach?  Guaranteed he gets a chance to coach D1

I’ll take that bet.  He is lazy and stupid and everyone with half a brain knows it.  Rex would have to work way too hard to succeed as a coordinator or as a colllege coach.  He’s done.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

I could see him going to a big name D-1 program who hires him strictly for name recognition. I honestly think in a couple years he could be an effective recruiter at the college level simply because by that time 18 year olds will not know who he is. The one thing he has going for him is he is charismatic with media and from everything I have heard his guy's love playing for him. I think he could leave a big impression on a kid with his charm and pointing out that he coached the Jets to 2 AFC championship games (which will sell because the Jets will still be awful when he is doing his sales pitch). I don't think he ever gets a shot at the NFL level again.

I honestly could see that.  He’s such a fraud but I can see him as a guy a down and out program would hire to make a splash.  I can see him having a couple good recruiting classes and being talked up as a team to watch; having a subpar season; and getting let go in a foot scandal with a coed.

but I think the nfl has figured out this fraud.  Of course the nfl loves to recycle bad coaches so who knows.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, what he teaches is dead. I used to think recruiting was his thing. I don’t believe that anyone is hiring him. He is Lane Kiffin with a dead style. Kiffin is an idiot but will always have a job because what he does works. People will stomach his personality because the results are there. That’s no longer the case with Rex. What he used to do doesn’t work.

Are you trying to imply that sending Mario Williams and 350 lb Marcel Dareus into pass coverage was a bad idea? :o:D

• Haha (+1) 1

As a Head Coach? No.  

Would someone consider hiring him as a defensive coordinator / consultant? Possibly. Whether his ego would ever take that job I'm not sure.  

I could see a college programme liking the idea of hiring him, I bet he could recruit and he would bring profile. I think once they saw the on field product they would like it less. 

9 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

No. 

I seriously doubt that. No team is that stupid to hire that lazy man even as a DC. 

I have heard him calling games and his personality does NOT come through. At least if you meant that in a positive way. His analysis is really pedestrian. Compare him to Romo and you can see the stark contrast

Yeah, I’m not sure if he’s a color commentator either. I think that he’s a studio show guy. He needs to be opinionated and that’s the best place to do that. Let him weigh in on things like the Ramsey comments, Calloway’s arrest, etc...

• Like (+1) 1

I think he's done, he'll sit in the booth and talk all the smack he wants.   That's the right place for him. 

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That, and the fact the dumb s*** can't count to 11.

McDermott stressed in the last game the importance of having 11 players on the field in all phases.   I know Rex takes the blame for that and rightly so, but I don't think it's quite as easy as just counting to 11.   90 players, a dozen coaches and coordinators all trying to do evaluations.    

Now granted Rex's fax paux happened during the regular season so he should take more criticism.   But it is nice to see a HC who stresses the details, like..having 11 men on the field :D

I don't see it. He inherited a defense that was great back in his early years with the Jets. Once those guys passed their prime or left for other teams it was all downhill. He flamed out as a coach and his mouth wrote too many checks his :censored: couldn't cash. I could see him being a semi-successful college coach, but his ego won't let him go that route. I also doubt he would want to put in the hours that college coaches have to because there really is no offseason. 

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Agreed.  He is absolutely horrible calling games.  He's a moron and comes across as such.  If I live to be 102 and never see, or hear, him or his stupid ass brother again, I'll die a happy man.

The last good Ryan coach was Buddy.  Period.  And even HE was an ass   hole.

......tell us how you REALLY feel......:thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I know Rex takes the blame for that and rightly so, but I don't think it's quite as easy as just counting to 11.   

The problem with Rex is he didn't ever take the blame. He would say things like "I'm the Head Coach, so it's on me...... but I know what really happened." It was never Rex's fault. It was never his scheme being outdated.... it was always someone else. The players, the refs, the coaches, Doug Whaley.... his list of scapegoats was enormous. I think the word "accountable" has become an overused cliche in the NFL - but Rex Ryan was one man who needed to learn about accountability. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The problem with Rex is he didn't ever take the blame. He would say things like "I'm the Head Coach, so it's on me...... but I know what really happened." It was never Rex's fault. It was never his scheme being outdated.... it was always someone else. The players, the refs, the coaches, Doug Whaley.... his list of scapegoats was enormous. I think the word "accountable" has become an overused cliche in the NFL - but Rex Ryan was one man who needed to learn about accountability. 

You're right about that.   

I have a better chance than he does. 

Rex was completely unorganized and it showed up on a daily basis. He was much more concerned with the headline than the result. He was an absolute joke. When Gilmore was out with a concussion and Ajai ran for 60 yards to seal a victory on Christmas Eve, I noticed the Bills had only 10 men, From the stands. He was absolute horrible and deserved to be fired

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t get why people think he will get a defensive job? His defense doesn’t work anymore. We saw that first hand. It was a steady decline, he left, they were good again. The Ryan defense is a thing of the past.

I disagree. It wasn't a steady decline; it was a nosedive.

I agree with the rest, though. ?

• Haha (+1) 1