Will Rex Ryan Ever Get Another Shot To Coach in The NFL?

As a HC no...as a DC prob not but maybe...his defensive system is too complex for the NFL these days with all the RPOs and quick adjustments at the line made by offenses...his D was put in bad positions too often

Edited by matter2003

11 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...never say no with CLEVELAND....:thumbsup:

I honestly can’t even imagine them thinking he’d be better than 1-31 Huey. THAT is how bad it is. Rex has food money....at least enough for an ordinary human. (HE might have to cut corners, but that might be a blessing.) 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

I still contend Ryan was fine as an in-game HC.  If he had just kept Schwartz he would still be the HC now and Whaley probably is still the GM.  All he had to do was add a few blitz packages to what Schwartz and the D would have been great.  Whaley could have continued to focus on QB and the offense, instead of finding players to fit Ryan's defense.  

Zero chance he gets a HC job in the NFL.  I do think a college job is possible at someplace like Kansas or Washington State.  Some low tier school in a big conference looking for a spark.

That never would have worked.  Both men run two completely different defensive schemes. Plus they both have big egos and could never work with one another.  

Also how many years should the Bills give Whaley to get the QB position right?  He didn’t fail at finding a QB because he was “finding players for Rex’s scheme.”  He failed because he was not a good GM and he hitched his wagon to EJ Manuel

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

What do you think???

No. 

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I think he could easily coach again if he wanted. Certainly not a HC but I’m sure all it would take is a phone call and he’s have a job again pretty quickly.

I seriously doubt that. No team is that stupid to hire that lazy man even as a DC. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

I hope he makes a good analysis personality. Certainly has the gab gift. 

now, these other pro Leagues popping up? Maybe. He can sell tickets!

I have heard him calling games and his personality does NOT come through. At least if you meant that in a positive way. His analysis is really pedestrian. Compare him to Romo and you can see the stark contrast

11 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

No. 

I seriously doubt that. No team is that stupid to hire that lazy man even as a DC. 

I have heard him calling games and his personality does NOT come through. At least if you meant that in a positive way. His analysis is really pedestrian. Compare him to Romo and you can see the stark contrast

Interesting. I haven’t heard him and I meant it positively. I admit I looked forward to his pressers. He was entertaining..

49 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Agreed.  He is absolutely horrible calling games.  He's a moron and comes across as such.  If I live to be 102 and never see, or hear, him or his stupid ass brother again, I'll die a happy man.

The last good Ryan coach was Buddy.  Period.  And even HE was an ass   hole.

I could see him going to a big name D-1 program who hires him strictly for name recognition. I honestly think in a couple years he could be an effective recruiter at the college level simply because by that time 18 year olds will not know who he is. The one thing he has going for him is he is charismatic with media and from everything I have heard his guy's love playing for him. I think he could leave a big impression on a kid with his charm and pointing out that he coached the Jets to 2 AFC championship games (which will sell because the Jets will still be awful when he is doing his sales pitch). I don't think he ever gets a shot at the NFL level again.