Will Rex Ryan Ever Get Another Shot To Coach in The NFL?

14 minutes ago, transient said:

I think it's more likely that he ends up having to fly coach to see an NFL game.

i think he'd be a good panelist, another reason i haven't heard a word out of Dan Marino and his colleagues for decades now.

fast forward....

14 hours ago, Another Fan said:

The greatest thing that ever happened to Doug Marrone's reputation was Rex followed him here 

I mean maybe a DC Coordinator if he really desired

Maybe the 2nd greatest thing. The greatest thing was the 2017 season.

If a lot of these "Expert Coaches" such as Rex could in some instances put their ego's a side & just be a "Head Coach"  & give their team the best chance to win they would go much further !

If Rex would have come in & not shook up the apple cart so much & Whaley would have had the balls to tell him we need a HC we are headed in a good direction with the defense & ST's you just hire a good offensive coach & be the HC not the D coach Whaley would still be here & Rex may be gone .

But because he had 4/3 players & decide & was allowed to go to & draft 3/4 players to try to make it work the Bills are where they are which is better all around everything happens for a reason even if we don't know what that reason is !! 

Whaley, Rex, and Brandon... LOL...Huge upgrades all around. This new organization has the feel of a group that knows what it is doing, instead of the clown show we used to see.

As far as Rex goes, I have a friend who has a friend, etc. Rex is DYING to get back into coaching, and tried like hell after the Bills fired him. He DID have a couple of offers to serve as DC but turned them down because he only wants to be a HC. I don't see that happening. His heart is NOT into broadcasting, and it shows quite frankly.

When Rex put in the work the Bills defense had random weeks of looking very good, such as the MNF game in New England when Brady was totally rattled. Sadly, when he decided to take it easy and let everyone else do the work (which was usually what happened) nobody understood WTF was going on and it was a mess. Guys lined up in the wrong places, blowing assignments, etc. Rex needs to be the DC if he is ever going to coach again in any capacity and rebuild his reputation. Rex has to be the one teaching the players, not his genius of a brother and not whoever they slap the "DC" title on. He needs structure and someone to keep him in line and keep him away from the media.

I just don't think he's interested in that. A DC is only ever going to get secondary recognition.

One thing might work in his favor, and that's time. The longer he is on TV as an "expert" analyst the more buzz he will get. Gruden went from the guy who won with Dungy's team and then ruined the Bucs to some legendary coaching icon who could command a 10 year contract to return to coaching.

After all, for all Rex's flaws he was a .500 coach here both seasons, which is better than just about anyone the Bills had since 2000. That's not terrible. Mike Mularkey somehow kept getting head coaching jobs.

• Like (+1) 1

Could he ever get a HC gig again:  Yes, bad coaches have had multiple retreads in the NFL before they finally throw in the towel

Do I think it will be anytime soon:  No

Do I even think its likely:  No

Reality is that in the NFL people have gotten several chances which were head scratching.  I mean look at what Oakland just did with Gruden.  Does it make sense for Oakland look into Gruden, sure, especially with how he is beloved by the fan base and in the midst of a relocation.  But his last HC gig was worse than Rex, I mean he lost the locker room which is literally the single worst thing a HC can do.  And yet Oakland not only wanted him, but GROSSLY over paid for a guy whose been out of the NFL for a while and severely screwed his last gig up.  Just goes to show, as time goes by, things get "forgotten".  

So I am sure someone is going to kick the tires on Rex at some point, just not likely soon.  Like others said, I think he will more likely get approached about a DC position before he gets HC interest again.  I do think some college wanting to bring in a "name" could also approach him at some point, if they aren't already.  Not a premiere program, but someone that wants more relevancy as hiring Rex would clearly bring more media attention, even if just to see the trainwreck.

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

If he ever gets another coaching job - NFL or college - will he again hire his brother in such a key position?

guy was a piece of crap as an head coach in Buffalo.

He'd a complete fool to hire his brother again, therefore he would.

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

He'd a complete fool to hire his brother again, therefore he would.

He gets MUCH better Christmas presents that way. I thinks thats the key to the whole thing. Rob even looks like a jolly Santa. 

That’s my guess, anyway....

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Whaley, Rex, and Brandon... LOL...Huge upgrades all around. This new organization has the feel of a group that knows what it is doing, instead of the clown show we used to see.

As far as Rex goes, I have a friend who has a friend, etc. Rex is DYING to get back into coaching, and tried like hell after the Bills fired him. He DID have a couple of offers to serve as DC but turned them down because he only wants to be a HC. I don't see that happening. His heart is NOT into broadcasting, and it shows quite frankly.

When Rex put in the work the Bills defense had random weeks of looking very good, such as the MNF game in New England when Brady was totally rattled. Sadly, when he decided to take it easy and let everyone else do the work (which was usually what happened) nobody understood WTF was going on and it was a mess. Guys lined up in the wrong places, blowing assignments, etc. Rex needs to be the DC if he is ever going to coach again in any capacity and rebuild his reputation. Rex has to be the one teaching the players, not his genius of a brother and not whoever they slap the "DC" title on. He needs structure and someone to keep him in line and keep him away from the media.

I just don't think he's interested in that. A DC is only ever going to get secondary recognition.

One thing might work in his favor, and that's time. The longer he is on TV as an "expert" analyst the more buzz he will get. Gruden went from the guy who won with Dungy's team and then ruined the Bucs to some legendary coaching icon who could command a 10 year contract to return to coaching.

After all, for all Rex's flaws he was a .500 coach here both seasons, which is better than just about anyone the Bills had since 2000. That's not terrible. Mike Mularkey somehow kept getting head coaching jobs.

Saying that Rex is “better than just about anyone the Bills had since 2000” is pathetic criteria.  The Bills coaches have been a sorry being since then.  It’s like saying “that’s the nicest car in the junkyard.”  Who cares?  They are all junkers

• Like (+1) 1

the fact that Rex got as many HC jobs as he did goes to show that having a big mouth will take you farther than your talent justifies. I don't think Rex is intellectually sophisticated enough to coach in this era. The great coaches make adjustments and adapt to the talent they have. Rex put Mario Williams out in pass coverage. 

There are many superior coaching minds who can't get a HC job again (Shanahan, Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith, Mike Smith, Chip Kelly). Ryan doesn't deserve another shot. 

• Like (+1) 1