Will Rex Ryan Ever Get Another Shot To Coach in The NFL?

I went back and read some of the training camp over the past 3 years or so.  It took me to the crazy 2016 camp which featured an alleged argument between Rex, Doug and Russ.  The Arrival of The Dude Rob Ryan. Vic Carucci’s playoff ultimatum rumor (which appears to have been true).  “Winning the off season.”  And so much more.  It made me take a second to think of Rex.

Man, did Rex do some major damage in his stint with Buffalo.  When he was hired in 2014, Rex was regarded as a “defensive mastermind” who routinely produced top ranked defenses.  He was lauded as a good coach who got burned by ineffective GM’s who gave him subpar talent rosters and underachieving QB’s who never panned out.  Despite this, Rex did the best he could with a limited roster and his teams always played hard for him.  Some even considered Rex to one of the best coaches in the NFL, at worst he was thought of favorably in most circles.

Fast forward to 3 years later and Rex was a laughing stock.  He was a “clown show” who’s defense seemed antiquated, too complex, and not effective in the modern NFL.  His reputation as a defensive guru vanished.  In the two years since he’s been out of the NFL, I can’t remember anyone link him as a candidate for a job.

So do you think that it’s over for Rex Ryan?  Is it possible that he will charm his way back on the sidelines in the NFL citing his successes a decade ago and making excuses for his failures?

Yes Rex has a sweet job at ESPN, but you can’t tell me he doesn’t want another shot at coaching.  It’s been part of his life for such a long time, you don’t just shut that off.

IMO I can’t see Rex coaching in the NFL.  I think his reputation is too damaged for anyone to trust him as HC.  Honestly, it wouldn’t surprised me to see someone try to hire him as a DC but I do think organizations are conscious of the “clown show” element he would bring.  Also, would his ego allow him to go back to being a DC or position coach?

The only way I see Rex coaching again is at the college level.  I can definitely see him as a HC and given his personality, I think that might be his best bet to recoup his career.  Maybe then after a few years of success he can get back to the NFL.  

What do you think???

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I think he could easily coach again if he wanted. Certainly not a HC but I’m sure all it would take is a phone call and he’s have a job again pretty quickly.

I think so too....I think coaches would put him

in at DC.  But I don’t see any owner making him HC ever again

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I think he could easily coach again if he wanted. Certainly not a HC but I’m sure all it would take is a phone call and he’s have a job again pretty quickly.

You might be right but I am not so sure. Rex appears to be lazy and I don't see why a team would want him in any capacity.

• Like (+1) 3

I think the problem with the defense is other teams figured it out, so he devised new ways to overcome it.  Likely if you ran a computer simulation, his counter tactics would be very successful.  But when you aks real people to carry it out, it became way to complex, particularly with reduced practice time which is part of today's NFL.

Doubt he'll ever head coach again or even get a job as a DC, position coach, probably if he wanted it, but not sure he wants it that bad.  I think his ship has sailed!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think the problem with the defense is other teams figured it out, so he devised new ways to overcome it.  Likely if you ran a computer simulation, his counter tactics would be very successful.  But when you aks real people to carry it out, it became way to complex, particularly with reduced practice time which is part of today's NFL.

Doubt he'll ever head coach again or even get a job as a DC, position coach, probably if he wanted it, but not sure he wants it that bad.  I think his ship has sailed!

And just to think....it ended in Buffalo

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Man, we have short memories around here. He has an antiquated style with a bombastic personality. No one is hiring him (or his brother) to coach football again. 

Not even as a DC or position coach?  Guaranteed he gets a chance to coach D1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

And just to think....it ended in Buffalo

Not even as a DC or position coach?  Guaranteed he gets a chance to coach D1

Nope, what he teaches is dead. I used to think recruiting was his thing. I don’t believe that anyone is hiring him. He is Lane Kiffin with a dead style. Kiffin is an idiot but will always have a job because what he does works. People will stomach his personality because the results are there. That’s no longer the case with Rex. What he used to do doesn’t work.

• Like (+1) 2

All it takes is 1 owner or GM to buy his snake oil the way Russ and Pegula did. He can point to a "new owner" a "GM that was also shown the door" and whatever else to say it was a poor situation here. Heck, I thought Marrone was done. I never in a billion years would have guessed Joe Gibbs would come back to the Resskins after 12 years out of football. Or Dick Vermeil would come back after 15 years. Or Jon Gruden after a decade. Point being it may take time, but I think someone will hire fmthe clown again.

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

All it takes is 1 owner or GM to buy his snake oil the way Russ and Pegula did. He can point to a "new owner" a "GM that was also shown the door" and whatever else to say it was a poor situation here. Heck, I thought Marrone was done. I never in a billion years would have guessed Joe Gibbs would come back to the Resskins after 12 years out of football. Or Dick Vermeil would come back after 15 years. Or Jon Gruden after a decade. Point being it may take time, but I think someone will hire fmthe clown again.

“Don’t let him leave the building”  So glad Russ is not involved anymore

NFL-No.  However, he might get a shot in the new league (Alliance of American Football) if it lasts long enough to fire a coach or 2.  They've got some interesting names coaching those teams, the old ball coach Steve Spurrier & Mike Martz are among them.