Beginner golf set

stevewin

I stopped playing golf over 25 yrs ago (and even then wasn't a serious golfer), and my son has taken it up over this summer (using my 30+ yr old clubs).

I wanted to get a decent set for him - something that I would share as I try to get back into it.  I've been out of the game for so long I have no idea about today's golf equipment.

Searching around the Callaway Men's Strata Ultimate Complete Golf Set (18-Piece) seems to come up quite a bit and seems well-reviewed.

https://www.amazon.com/Callaway-Strata-Ultimate-Complete-18-Piece/dp/B00IKP9WV0?SubscriptionId=AKIAJXDBK7OO7UYCSNPA&tag=best_golf_clubs_beginners-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00IKP9WV0

Wondering if anyone had any comments/suggestions.  Note - it really won't help to go and try hitting with different clubs - just looking to get a good/decent set as my son learns and I get back into it.

Looks like today's starter sets have no low irons, replaced with hybrids.  It's been so long since I've played, I've never even hit a hybrid - going to be weird for me to not have my go-to 5-iron, but I guess I can always add one separately (or just get used to the hybrids)

I've stopped carrying a 3-iron and 4-iron.  Instead I have a 2H and 4H.  I love the hybrids; so much easier to hit solidly IMO.  I still hit my 5-iron regularly though.

My bag is D, 3W, 2H, 4H, 5I, 6I, 7I, 8I, 9I, PW, 52, 56, 60, and putter.

Hi Steve,

Not sure I have a good answer for you but I am in a similar position.  I used to play a lot of golf about 20 years ago.  Just recently I have gotten back into it, however I am using clubs that are all 10-15 years old.  

Even though I hit the clubs well, I have read that golf technology has improved so much in the last 5 years that almost all players should have newer clubs.  Since I have been playing a lot more in the last 6 months I have been debating how I should upgrade.  Should I just buy a whole new starter set, (like the one the OP mentions) or should I pay more and slowly upgrade my clubs.  IE Wedges first, then woods, then irons in order to not have a great expense up front.  

Right now I shoot about 90 on average.  I play a 20 year old Scotty Cameron putter, Ping Eye 2 irons ~15 years old, and Taylor Made Burner woods.  

Thoughts?

BD

15 hours ago, eball said:

I've stopped carrying a 3-iron and 4-iron.  Instead I have a 2H and 4H.  I love the hybrids; so much easier to hit solidly IMO.  I still hit my 5-iron regularly though.

My bag is D, 3W, 2H, 4H, 5I, 6I, 7I, 8I, 9I, PW, 52, 56, 60, and putter.

+1 on the hybrids. 

Also, you don't need to match irons and woods so the OP might want to shop separately for those.  Most of my woods/hybrids came off the used/discount rack for a fraction of the list price.  There are a ton of golfers who either need to buy the latest version of a driver or trade in clubs for others hoping that will fix their crappy golf game.

• Like (+1) 1