Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 16 8:45 AM at SJF - Final Session Before Team Heads Back to OBD

3 hours ago, MTBill said:

I think Allen is prepared enough to struggle through as a starter beginning in week 1.  I just think if we have him not start for a while - that does not hinder his development greatly.  He'll start when he starts and I'm OK with that.  I also want to be damn sure that the o-line is not porous enough that he'd be constantly running for his life.  I don't want him to develop bad habits.  If there was an over/under on his # of starts in 2018 - I think I'd say he starts at least 6 games and maybe at most 12.  I just don't think McD is willing to throw him to the wolves like the Jets are going to do.  It'd be great if he could get some garbage time experience - but I highly doubt that's going to happen.

There's an argument -- a pretty compelling one, I think -- that "garbage time" experience isn't really legitimate experience at all.  No intensity, nothing on the line -- less than practice, actually.

If the coaches (and players) believe Allen gives them the best chance to win, he'll play.  If they think either AJM or NP fit that role at the start of the season, so be it.

3 quick takeaways from the final day of Bills camp

That’s it. It’s over.

The Buffalo Bills 2018 training camp from St. John Fisher College is in the books as the team will now relocate back to Orchard Park as it preps to face the Cleveland Browns in a preseason contest on Friday.

With that, here are three quick takeaways from the final day of Bills camp:

Uh-oh, Kelvin

Taron’s turn

Depth LB emerging

Up next: The Bills will likely have a walk-through practice on Thursday before heading to Cleveland for their second preseason contest against the Browns.

Top 5 takeaways from Bills training camp

After three weeks and 16 practices, the Bills come home from Rochester. They’ll continue the preseason in training camp mode, but the practices, workouts, and meetings occur at One Bills Drive for the next few weeks as they continue to get ready for the regular season.

Here are five takeaways from the Bills training camp sessions at St. John Fisher:

1. THE PROCESS IS REAL

2. THE QUARTERBACK BATTLE IS REAL, ALSO

3. WIDE RECEIVER BATTLE WORTH WATCHING

4. YOUNG TALENT EMERGES AT CAMP

5. EDMUNDS UNDER THE RADAR

15 hours ago, Wagon Circler said:

Harsh. After 9 wonderful throws, that ball was off, what, six inches?

Might be harsh I guess, but I'm really not a fan of watching a QB who throws an INT every 10 pass attempts. I also think it's hilarious that, in a game where he continued this trend, folks are clamoring over it. He was decisive and quick against a vanilla defense. He showed some command and understanding of the offense. That's good, but it's not enough.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Might be harsh I guess, but I'm really not a fan of watching a QB who throws an INT every 10 pass attempts. I also think it's hilarious that, in a game where he continued this trend, folks are clamoring over it. He was decisive and quick against a vanilla defense. He showed some command and understanding of the offense. That's good, but it's not enough.

Amusingly, my brother and I had a conversation about this after the game last week. He claimed that everyone would ignore all the good things Peterman did and focus on the single "should have been a catch" interception he threw. I took the stance that people would not be so short-sighted and would respect a perfect 9/9 1TD / 117 yards and gloss over a single throw that was catch-able 9 times out of 10. 

Looks like I was wrong. 

You say "He was decisive and quick against a vanilla defense." but fail to mention that the other two QB's had the same vanilla defense but didn't pull NEARLY the same numbers. McCarron came close but it was a lot sloppier. Allen was playing with garbage against garbage and it was a wash. 

That all being said, if they play Mccarron / Allen / Peterman this week that will answer a LOT of questions (why I think the coaches are doing this in the first place). Does Peterman raise the level of the "garbage" and play lights out vs their garbage? Does McCarron put on the same "1 imperfection" performance that Peterman did with the 1's? Does Allen continue to show improvement against a stiffer defense but with better chess pieces?

Finally, come week three I see one more rotation. I said this in another post but I'll say it again. The best way to do a QB competition is to see how they play against other teams and the only way to get that to work is to see all 3 QB's at all 3 levels of competition and compare. 

Makes for a fun night. GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bills4Ever4Life said:

Amusingly, my brother and I had a conversation about this after the game last week. He claimed that everyone would ignore all the good things Peterman did and focus on the single "should have been a catch" interception he threw. I took the stance that people would not be so short-sighted and would respect a perfect 9/9 1TD / 117 yards and gloss over a single throw that was catch-able 9 times out of 10. 

Looks like I was wrong. 

Yes, you were. And clearly about more than just that assumption. That INT was 75% on Peterman for the ball placement and in no way is catchable 9 out of 10 times, especially to your backup RB.

3 minutes ago, Bills4Ever4Life said:

You say "He was decisive and quick against a vanilla defense." but fail to mention that the other two QB's had the same vanilla defense but didn't pull NEARLY the same numbers. McCarron came close but it was a lot sloppier. Allen was playing with garbage against garbage and it was a wash. 

Not nearly the same numbers?

9/10, 119, 1, 1 - 110 Passer Rating

7/10, 116, 0, 0 - 108.8 Passer Rating

9/19, 116, 1, 0 - 84.5 Passer Rating (as you said, a wash considering drops/given up routes, slow snaps, lack of protection, and nobodies on D as well)

8 minutes ago, Bills4Ever4Life said:

That all being said, if they play Mccarron / Allen / Peterman this week that will answer a LOT of questions (why I think the coaches are doing this in the first place). Does Peterman raise the level of the "garbage" and play lights out vs their garbage? Does McCarron put on the same "1 imperfection" performance that Peterman did with the 1's? Does Allen continue to show improvement against a stiffer defense but with better chess pieces?

Peterman will look very good as long as Redmond isn't in at C (he just never needs to play C again...) because his strengths shine in preseason play and his weaknesses are not typically tested. You probably won't see that as fair, and I agree that it's not something in Peterman's control, but it's true. Defenses will absolutely change if he's the starter come week 1.

I'd like to see McCarron move the offense and score in order to remain in the competition. I don't care if his completion % is 60 or 90. I will care if he has a turnover, just like I do with Nate.

The Allen question is spot on and exactly what I hope to see. I'm truly excited to see if he steps up.

11 minutes ago, Bills4Ever4Life said:

Finally, come week three I see one more rotation. I said this in another post but I'll say it again. The best way to do a QB competition is to see how they play against other teams and the only way to get that to work is to see all 3 QB's at all 3 levels of competition and compare. 

Makes for a fun night. GO BILLS

Week 3 will be interesting. If Allen shows well, an admittedly big if, with the 2's I think he winds up getting a shot with the 1's for all the marbles. Certainly very exciting times for the franchise and fanbase! Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yes, you were. And clearly about more than just that assumption. That INT was 75% on Peterman for the ball placement and in no way is catchable 9 out of 10 times, especially to your backup RB.

9/19, 116, 1, 0 - 84.5 Passer Rating (as you said, a wash considering drops/given up routes, slow snaps, lack of protection, and nobodies on D as well)

Peterman will look very good as long as Redmond isn't in at C (he just never needs to play C again...) because his strengths shine in preseason play and his weaknesses are not typically tested. You probably won't see that as fair, and I agree that it's not something in Peterman's control, but it's true. Defenses will absolutely change if he's the starter come week 1.

I'd like to see McCarron move the offense and score in order to remain in the competition. I don't care if his completion % is 60 or 90. I will care if he has a turnover, just like I do with Nate.

The Allen question is spot on and exactly what I hope to see. I'm truly excited to see if he steps up.

Week 3 will be interesting. If Allen shows well, an admittedly big if, with the 2's I think he winds up getting a shot with the 1's for all the marbles. Certainly very exciting times for the franchise and fanbase! Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Peterman will look good as long as he is playing in the preseason and the defense is playing more zone.   He is an intelligent quarterback who knows his reads and gets the ball out quickly.  He also has a weak arm which makes it hard for him to challenge against man to man defenders.   When the season starts and those windows he had to throw in get smaller he wont look quite as good.   I think he is the perfect back up quarterback.   I wish him the best of luck, but hope I dont have to watch him start more than 3 games ever in a season. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Can you seriously watch this and tell me that (at 2:12) this ball was not catchable? Not like chris ivory had to come to a complete stop and stretch out backwards or even turn his hips. It was a LITTLE high and behind on his shoulder and YES this is a throw that should be caught 9 out of 10 times. Also, you say "backup RB" like Chris Ivory hasn't started for multiple teams. He is a good running back and good running backs catch that. 

Exactly as I said. I said McCarron was close to putting up his numbers but no touchdown and only 70% completion. Also, the general feel of the drives were a lot sloppier with him with more penalties and just a general feeling of less control. That's just my opinion from up on the nose bleeds though. 

Here is the core of what I meant. Let me be clear. The Bills will play McCarron with the 1's tonight, Allen with the 2's and Peterman with the 3's. Barring an exemplary or dismal performance by one of the three, week 3 it will be Allen / Peterman / McCarron. Because of talent? Because QB A, B or C did best? No, because they are all being given an equal shot at a COMPETITION. Do I know this for sure? no. I'm no inside guy. However, I can see the patterns. For example, you don't take a QB that went 9/10, 119, 1,1 - 110 passer rating and push him down with the three's unless it was PRE-ORDAINED. Unless it was the plan all along. 

Going to hold my breath for another 4 1/2 hours and see how it all turns out ;)

Edited by Bills4Ever4Life

4 minutes ago, Bills4Ever4Life said:

Can you seriously watch this and tell me that (at 2:12) this ball was not catchable? Not like chris ivory had to come to a complete stop and stretch out backwards or even turn his hips. It was a LITTLE high and behind on his shoulder and YES this is a throw that should be caught 9 out of 10 times. Also, you say "backup RB" like Chris Ivory hasn't started for multiple teams. He is a good running back and good running backs catch that. 

I never said it was not catchable. It's a ball an elite player hauls in sometimes, but for the vast majority of players it's caught maybe 25% of the time. It's extremely poor placement for that short of a route.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I never said it was not catchable. It's a ball an elite player hauls in sometimes, but for the vast majority of players it's caught maybe 25% of the time. It's extremely poor placement for that short of a route.

I'll agree to disagree with you....maybe  ;). I'll even compromise and say that its a catch that would be made 70% of the time ;). Please watch this one to see it in slow mo and see if you can compromise with me :P

https://www.panthers.com/video/shaq-thompson-interception

2018-08-17_15-04-05.thumb.jpg.0ba2a6110425ac807b0fde724c728ef1.jpg

I'm sorry but thats a little high and slightly back....and to be fair it was because there was a lineman right there waiting to slap it down if it was "on target". To knock a perfect set of drives off of one slightly mis-thrown ball that I STILL say should have been caught......thats just insane. I saw some BAAAAD throws out there this pre-season. THIS was not one of them. 

Also, remember all these criticisms as to why Nathan Peterman's night wasn't REALLY that great and remember to apply them to McCarron's game tonight...good or bad ;)

Edited by Bills4Ever4Life
  • Thank you (+1) 2