Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 16 8:45 AM at SJF - Final Session Before Team Heads Back to OBD

4 hours ago, Commonsense said:

A few position battles left and some depth spots still up for grabs but only one question really matters for this week. Is there a path for Allen to start week 1 or not? If he plays well and the other 2 guys struggle would McD have him start game the next preseason game? 

I feel like the answer is no, I want it to happen. IMO they are brining him along slowly and Allen starting week 1 isn’t in their plans. 

I think all of us, including the staff, are beyond excited to see this kid with the ones.  But the staff is too smart to rush it, and with AJM and NP showing well in first game it further reduces pressure to push Allen in there too quickly.  

Its enitrely possible that if Allen has a big showing Friday and the other 2 BOTH falter, he suddenly gets into a position to challenge for week 1 starter potential.  But more than likely that won’t happen where both AJM and struggle enough for Allen to have a shot to move ahead IMO.  Like you said, I don’t see a realistic path to start early in the season barring injuries or sudden decline in both AJM and NP performance.  

One thing I don’t see mentioned much is McD’s starting of NP last year at a less than ideal time.  I don’t expect him to make the same mistake twice of putting a young QB out before he is certain he is ready and gives the team the best chance to win.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

That is exactly what I would do.

I want to see Allen play, but I don't want him starting this year until/unless we are eliminates from playoff contention.

I do not get this sentiment. Why? What if Josh Allen legitimately gives us a better chance to win games than either of the other two. Why are you wanting to sit Josh Allen just to sit him? We really won't know if he's ready until we see him with 1s against 1s. So I'd like to see if he can start game 3. Then we have a fair assessment of how each QB performs with and against 1s. Then I want the best QB to play. Regardless of how they got here or how inexperienced they are.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Do we really think either AJ or Peterman will have a better shot at beating the Ravens' ferocious D than Josh Allen??

I sure as hell don't.

At the very least, McCarron's has the best knowledge of Ravens' D than anyone else on the roster.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, JP's Voice said:

I do not get this sentiment. Why? What if Josh Allen legitimately gives us a better chance to win games than either of the other two. Why are you wanting to sit Josh Allen just to sit him? We really won't know if he's ready until we see him with 1s against 1s. So I'd like to see if he can start game 3. Then we have a fair assessment of how each QB performs with and against 1s. Then I want the best QB to play. Regardless of how they got here or how inexperienced they are.

Several reasons. It's not about this year with Josh, it's about the long term.

I don't wonder if he's ready, I'm fairly sure he's not. I think he can gain something being a pro for a year and getting to know the offense before starting.

Also, by starting AJM/NP obviously we could suck. This is not really bad... Get a high pick for skill players on offense. If the starting QB plays great and we do well, even better and maybe we are in a position like KC was with Smith, and could get something of value.

Seems to me that 2 years from now, these moves would leave us in a better position, and I want to set up a "window" so they say, of relevance. We aren't going to the SB (or probably the playoffs) this year, so we should plan everything around being good in the next couple years and being able to keep that window open as long as possible.

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

How I would handle the rotation for the next two preseason games: 

1. Flip AJM/Peterman against Cleveland. Each gets a game with the ones and twos, Allen gets the whole second half again. 

2. Make your pick for Week 1 between AJM/Peterman based on two games and camp to date (even if that decision is kept between the coaches). 

3. Give the winner the start in preseason game 3, let them play for the first half. Let Allen start the second half with the ones for two drives. 

Adjust depth chart after week 3 accordingly.

Agree with one change - don't see them giving Allen time with the ones.  The loser of AJM/Peterman gets a quarter with the second team.

52 minutes ago, GG said:

At the very least, McCarron's has the best knowledge of Ravens' D than anyone else on the roster.  

Myself personally, If Peterman doesn't distance himself from McCarron in the QB competition during preseason then the regular season experience/ results are what I'm basing my decision on if I'm McD/Dabol.

Another bad start from Peterman could and probably would ruin his future chances of becoming a starter in the NFL IMO.

I realize this isn't a very popular way of viewing the situation for many Bills fans whom like myself are very anxious to see Josh Allen take the next step into becoming the future of the franchise.

Sometimes not playing a player is the best thing for them in my humble opinion. (including Peterman)

Edited by Figster

Buffalo Bills training camp recap, day 16: Josh Allen with the second team again

Wednesday morning marked the final day of training camp for the Buffalo Bills at St. John Fisher College and aside from being a lighter practice, it still gave us plenty of storylines to mull over before the regular season begins. "Pirate Day" was also rescheduled to today from yesterday due to inclement weather.

Fullback swap and injury updates

Quarterback situation still unclear

Odds and ends

Bills wrap-up training camp still working through quarterback competition

Pittsford, NY (WGR) - Training camp for the Buffalo Bills ended exactly the way it started: on a hot, sunny day on the grass field at St. John Fisher College, and no closer to knowing who will be the starting quarterback Week 1 at the Baltimore Ravens.

All of the questions we had about the position back on July 26, when the team opened camp, still remain exactly 20 days later.

The only thing that’s changed is that Josh Allen ended camp by primarily working with the second-team offense. He started with the third-team. Allen, once again, was the second quarterback in on Wednesday, the last practice before the team's preseason game against the Browns, which is a good indication that he will see the field with that group Friday night in Cleveland.

Nathan Peterman and A.J. McCarron, once again, rotated with the first- and third-team offenses. Wednesday, it was McCarron’s turn with the first unit.

There were a few other interesting personnel developments Wednesday:

(WKBW) - One last time, the Buffalo Bills took to the practice field at St. John Fisher College as training camp came to a close in 2018. It was a bit of a lighter practice, that didn't have much movement, but there was one key improvement for one rookie player.

Who lined up where?

The full, yet unofficial depth chart from Day 16, the final day of training camp:

All changes from the previous day are in bold.

day16offense_1534343228265_95002065_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

day16defense_1534343228253_95002064_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

Buffalo Bills break training camp: Five things we learned

When the Buffalo Bills pulled up to St. John Fisher College three weeks ago, they were a team that had no idea who its starting quarterback was going to be in this 2018 season.

As they pack their bags and head back to Orchard Park Wednesday following their final training camp practice in Pittsford, they still have no idea.
At least that’s what coach Sean McDermott was portraying when he was asked if the competition between A.J. McCarron, Nathan Peterman and Josh Allen has yielded a frontrunner.

“All three are playing well … there’s great competition, and that’s healthy for our football team, healthy at that position in particular,” McDermott said. “All three have had their moments, both good and bad. The great part about these young men is they’re learning from the (moments) that haven’t gone their way.”

Until McDermott picks his starter, the focus will remain squarely on the competition. However, there were plenty of other things taking place at Fisher during the Bills’ 19th camp here, and here are some of the things I learned watching the practices.

1. Wide receiver is still a problem area

2. Center has been a spirited battle

3. Linebacker is still an area of concern

4. The secondary looks outstanding

5. Marcus Murphy should make team