Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 16 8:45 AM at SJF - Final Session Before Team Heads Back to OBD

Mike RodakESPN Staff Writer 

The Bills continued to rotate their quarterbacks Tuesday, having Nathan Peterman run the first-team offense, rookie Josh Allen lead the second team and AJ McCarron run the third team. That continued throughout the entire practice without Allen taking any first-team reps, which has happened at points during training camp.

A few position battles left and some depth spots still up for grabs but only one question really matters for this week. Is there a path for Allen to start week 1 or not? If he plays well and the other 2 guys struggle would McD have him start game the next preseason game? 

I feel like the answer is no, I want it to happen. IMO they are brining him along slowly and Allen starting week 1 isn’t in their plans. 

Edited by Commonsense

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

A few position battles left and some depth spots still up for grabs but only one question really matters for this week. Is there a path for Allen to start week 1 or not? If he plays well and the other 2 guys struggle would McD have him start game the next preseason game? 

I feel like the answer is no, I want it to happen. IMO they are brining him along slowly and Allen starting week 1 isn’t in their plans. 

I concur with this part

Based on McD presser I think if Allen handles himself against Cleveland he will start getting heavy Reps with the Starters and start Preseason Game 3. 

If he shows himself good in Preseason 3 he will be the starter week 1. Sounds like that was the plan and timeline and what they ultimately want but up to Allen to keep hitting those performance marks to keep moving down the road of their plan. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

At this point, I am pretty sure you are right. As much as I might wish it, I think they are pointedly not having him start week 1. After the first preseason game, I am ok with that plan. He clearly has a lot of potential, but he has a lot to learn.

How I would handle the rotation for the next two preseason games: 

1. Flip AJM/Peterman against Cleveland. Each gets a game with the ones and twos, Allen gets the whole second half again. 

2. Make your pick for Week 1 between AJM/Peterman based on two games and camp to date (even if that decision is kept between the coaches). 

3. Give the winner the start in preseason game 3, let them play for the first half. Let Allen start the second half with the ones for two drives. 

Adjust depth chart after week 3 accordingly.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

How I would handle the rotation for the next two preseason games: 

1. Flip AJM/Peterman against Cleveland. Each gets a game with the ones and twos, Allen gets the whole second half again. 

2. Make your pick for Week 1 between AJM/Peterman based on two games and camp to date (even if that decision is kept between the coaches). 

3. Give the winner the start in preseason game 3, let them play for the first half. Let Allen start the second half with the ones for two drives. 

Adjust depth chart after week 3 accordingly.

That is exactly what I would do.

I want to see Allen play, but I don't want him starting this year until/unless we are eliminates from playoff contention.

• Like (+1) 1