How Many Preseason Games Should There Be?

Preseason Game Numbers  

113 members have voted

1. 1. How many games should be in the NFL preseason

3 hours ago, nucci said:

0....these guys practice enough...a couple of controlled scrimmages in camp and start the season...

I agree.  I'd be OK with 2, but I would really prefer zero.

Player evaluation and getting the new players into the system in regular season games just becomes another point of coaching/strategy.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

let a few 6-10 teams in ?

yee-haw....

vs watching two 3 - 13 teams battle it out,

seems like a no brainer to me.

Does 10 - 6 teams not making the playoffs seem fair to you?

Note: 18 game season is much more likely to be giving us 6 - 10 team matchups IMO.

Edited by Figster

3 hours ago, cd1 said:

Ask those player's who are playing their hearts out trying to make a childhood dream come true.

Four seems to be just right.

It's a conundrum.  With the CBA limiting practices and those with pads, the players aren't getting enough hitting in before these preseason games.  Then you have the injury concerns so coaches aren't playing starters enough.  The last couple years this has resulted, in my opinion, in a lot of sloppy play in the 1st couple weeks of the season.  Starters rarely play in the 4th preseason game but I bet if they reduced to 3 preseason games, the coaches would treat the 3rd one the same.

36 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Perhaps a follow on question  ... how many of the preseason games should season ticket holders be forced to purchase at regular season prices ;)

Best bet is to donate them to the boys club or scouts and write them off on your taxes.

• Like (+1) 1

Watching the replay of the Bills/Panthers game the other day it appears that many fans came dressed as empty seats!  The NFL cannot be happy with it.  Players are sitting out. Fans are staying home. Coaches are admitting there's no real game planning.  The sport has evolved away from Pre-Season as it's always been.  It may be time to rethink the venues and like the NBA and European Soccer, start playing the preseason games in stadiums that wouldn't typically get an NFL game.  There are quite a few middle size markets that don't have a 'home team'.

9 hours ago, nucci said:

0....these guys practice enough...a couple of controlled scrimmages in camp and start the season...

The CBA prevents any actual “football”, so they need some preseason to see who can actually play. Four is too many. Two may not be enough, but for some reason I like an even number. One home, one away. Pick your guys then play for real. 

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Four is fine.

Well, maybe for you on the couch. Who plays 25% of their season as a preseason? Do you want to see 40 MLB preseason games? The only defense of 4 games I can see is the CBA won’t let them hit, so how do you know who can or can’t play (especially on the lines)?  Put some hitting back in practice, maybe add a scrimmage or two and cut preseason in half. Oh! Wait! That would generate less money. Sorry to present such a silly idea.....

McBeane knew 48 of the 53 to make the roster before camp even started. Hell we could probably guess 45 of the 53 without too much trouble.  Preseason games are pointless and just a chance for injury.  Starting QBs will be lucky to throw 30 passes in 4 games and none of those plays will be in the playbook.  Then they will start game 1 and pass for 300+ with ease.  

I voted 2 but as i type this post I've talked myself into 0 or at most 1 preseason game.