How Many Preseason Games Should There Be?

Preseason Game Numbers  

113 members have voted

1. 1. How many games should be in the NFL preseason

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it's the only positive thing about a long preseason.

There can't be any serious questions unanswered about a roster heading into a 4th game, that will REALLY matter to a team.

Correct....usually teams go in to camp with maybe 5-10 roster spots available...barring injuries

3 games.......... BUT!

It should be reserved only for rookies, players with 3 years or less of service and newly acquired players like FAs who aren't familiar with their new team. Team vets with 4 or more years of service should be voluntary on their part.

Edited by billsbackto81

The problem with preseason is all the fans and 24/7 sports writers want football so much... THEY.. treat it like real football games.  Coaches and players, however, realize its still just practice games and approach it as such.    

Take the games off TV and stop the 24/7 analysis of every player's performance in them, and the number of games comes back to what matters... How much time does a coach need to evaluate his players and get the team ready for a season?  I would guess, 4 games is about right.  

I would want to know how many games a coaching staff actually needs to evaluate talent to get to a 53-man roster and to get the starters acclimated to getting hit again. While I can respect wanting as much information as possible on the 40ish guys they cut each year (in case they need to bring some back during the season or the following season), they can't really need 4 preseason games to do so.

I would think 2 preseason games and an annual joint practice/scrimmage with rotating teams (that aren't facing each other that season) would be enough.

32 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

3 games.......... BUT!

It should be reserved only for rookies, players with 3 years or less of service and newly acquired players like FAs who aren't familiar with their new team. Team vets with 4 or more years of service should be voluntary on their part.

The only problem I'd see with that (and this isn't my problem, so much as the owners), is if the stars aren't playing, they can't charge full price for game tickets like they do now and attendance would be even worse for preseason than it is now.

The people voting 3+  obviously don't have season tickets ;) 

2 is plenty.

17 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

2 games.

Plus.....the Sabres play the Bills in a charity flag football game, then....the Bills play the Sabres for a charity hockey game.

Then the whole football team is out with groin pulls ;)

17 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The only problem I'd see with that (and this isn't my problem, so much as the owners), is if the stars aren't playing, they can't charge full price for game tickets like they do now and attendance would be even worse for preseason than it is now.

It doesn't quite work that way, when i had seasons it would show me my entire ticket package price divvied up equally for the 10 games.  A nice mathematical fantasy....

The public resale market is sure not going to collect anything near that "face value"

12 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

They charge full price now and most stars don't play......McCoy may get 3-4 carries this preseason....

Just now, nucci said:

They charge full price now and most stars don't play......McCoy may get 3-4 carries this preseason....

I don't mind the stars not playing but the football just sucks.

Having to endure 2/pay for 1 would be enough

30 minutes ago, Figster said:

I Prefer expanding the playoff format vs adding what always amounts to meaningless matchups toward the end of the season.

let a few 6-10 teams in ?

yee-haw....

I kind of gave up on being upset about how many preseason games there are. I simply don't watch them. This year is different, because of the QB competition. I really don't consider football season starting until September anyways. I save August, to try and get as many summer time activities out of the way before my weekends are booked up watching football games.

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

How in the world the NFL hasn’t moved to 2 preseason and 18 regular season with 2 bye weeks is beyond me!  It’s an instant revenue bump. And with the declining national interest in Baseball they’d have the majority of August all to themselves.

because the players haven't agreed to it....guessing the owners aren't offering enough