How Many Preseason Games Should There Be?

Preseason Game Numbers  

113 members have voted

1. 1. How many games should be in the NFL preseason

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

0....these guys practice enough...a couple of controlled scrimmages in camp and start the season...

I don't think you'll get a full evaluation of them from practice or even scrimmages. Plus you know the teams aren't gonna give up the money they make from the preseason games.

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I don't think you'll get a full evaluation of them from practice or even scrimmages. Plus you know the teams aren't gonna give up the money they make from the preseason games.

The league wants 2 preseason and 18 regular season games

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

The league wants 2 preseason and 18 regular season games

I'd settle for that. I don't know how it would work, but I'd like to see something like MLB does with their interleague play. We have three crosstown rivals (for now) if we include the Bay Area. Four if we include Washington and Baltimore. But they only play each other once every four years. Cross state teams like Texans/Cowboys, Steelers/Eagles, Dolphins/Bucs. It'd be cool if they can make something like that work out.

I'm old enough to remember when there were SIX preseason games and a 14 game regular season.  Seems wacky today.  I'm all for ZERO PS games, but in no way would I favor an 18 game regular season; that's just too much on the players.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I'd settle for that. I don't know how it would work, but I'd like to see something like MLB does with their interleague play. We have three crosstown rivals (for now) if we include the Bay Area. Four if we include Washington and Baltimore. But they only play each other once every four years. Cross state teams like Texans/Cowboys, Steelers/Eagles, Dolphins/Bucs. It'd be cool if they can make something like that work out.

Players won't agree on 18 games, though.....unless they get some pretty big concessions...I think they want increased rosters....obviously more money and more guaranteed contracts....just guessing on this but I would ask for this as a player...

3 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I'm old enough to remember when there were SIX preseason games and a 14 game regular season.  Seems wacky today.  I'm all for ZERO PS games, but in no way would I favor an 18 game regular season; that's just too much on the players.

those preseasons were brutal...

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

Players won't agree on 18 games, though.....unless they get some pretty big concessions...I think they want increased rosters....obviously more money and more guaranteed contracts....just guessing on this but I would ask for this as a player...

those preseasons were brutal...

More roster spots would not help salaries. Salary cap would just be spread out over more contracts.(of course in the negotiations to increase roster players would be a request for increased salary cap from NFLPA)

I agree increased rosters is a no brainer to reduce injury etc etc...….. just make the PS full roster players, full min NFL salary and benefits etc etc....this could/would hopefully stop the rush to get players back before they are quit ready. Especially with head injuries. And spread out the playing time a little to reduce exposure to injuries also.

7 minutes ago, cba fan said:

More roster spots would not help salaries. Salary cap would just be spread out over more contracts.(of course in the negotiations to increase roster players would be a request for increased salary cap from NFLPA)

I agree increased rosters is a no brainer to reduce injury etc etc...….. just make the PS full roster players, full min NFL salary and benefits etc etc....this could/would hopefully stop the rush to get players back before they are quit ready. Especially with head injuries. And spread out the playing time a little to reduce exposure to injuries also.

Right but players get 64% of revenue towards the cap? With 2 more games for each team revenue increases....players ask for larger percentage

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I like the long preseason and would not mind if it was longer for better player development.  I also liked the pro bowl after the Super Bowl as it helped the weaning process.   

Shirley, you can't be serious????

With all the mini camps, OTAs both voluntary and mandatory, training camp, and four preseason games, you're saying that's not enough?  Granted, taking much of the training camp hitting out with the last CBA may have adversely affected the game, but good god man, the six preseason games were like the Bataan Death March, for both players and fans...even four is too many.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Without a QB incubator league feeding the NFL you need a long preseason.   I like the long preseason and would not mind if it was longer for better player development.  I also liked the pro bowl after the Super Bowl as it helped the weaning process.   

Longer preseason....are you kidding? Preseason in every sport is incredibly boring

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Without a QB incubator league feeding the NFL you need a long preseason.   I like the long preseason and would not mind if it was longer for better player development.  I also liked the pro bowl after the Super Bowl as it helped the weaning process.   

Well next year there will be the new Alliance of American Football, and the year after that, we'll have the XFL, which could be good if they learned from their last mistake. Not NFL, but it'll get us through the offseason.

Just now, nucci said:

Longer preseason....are you kidding? Preseason in every sport is incredibly boring

When I lived in Buffalo, I was an Indians fan because I was a huge Bisons fan. So I actually loved watching Spring Training games because by the 4th or 5th inning, it was mostly guys that would end up in Buffalo. And the first few preseason hockey games can be fun. There seem to be more fights because as long as they don't cause serious injury, there's no real consequences. 

But Football definitely sucks. The first game I enjoy, just because football is finally back, even if it means nothing. But by the 4th game its just kinda pointless. 

21 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

it's the only positive thing about a long preseason.

There can't be any serious questions unanswered about a roster heading into a 4th game, that will REALLY matter to a team.