Chad Kelly jumps Paxton Lynch on Broncos' depth chart

John Elway: Broncos might look at veteran backup QB

The Denver Broncos made a move on their quarterback depth chart behind starter Case Keenum, promoting Chad Kelly to the No. 2, which effectively demoted Paxton Lynch.

The Broncos' brass might not be done shaking up the QB room.

General Manager John Elway told 103.5 The Fox radio station in Denver there is a chance the Broncos could add a veteran to the mix.

On 8/14/2018 at 3:12 PM, McBean said:

Remember that time we took Nate Peterman over Chad Kelly?

As a big Ole Miss fan, it made me sick when we took Peterman over Kelly.

Chad did some stupid stuff off the field but on it he is a stud. 

If if it wasn’t for his injuries, he would’ve been an easy first rounder.

He shredded SEC defenses every Saturday for 2 years...including Alabama.

I like chad but his last year was disappointing... i thought he had 1st round talent going into his last year at ole miss but he wasn’t the same

His arm has actually gotten weaker somehow it looks. It’s not weak, but his JR year i thought he had the biggest arm in College football... doesn’t look the same... 

Without the problems he was probably a 3rd rounder. 

Came from a full spread. Not many NFL reads besides those deep seam routes he loves throwing

Hes got talent

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/14/2018 at 12:06 AM, Circlethewagon8404 said:

This has another Tom Brady story written all over it.  Mr. Irrelevant becoming a starter and making the other 31 teams around the league regretting on not taking him in the draft.  I can see it now.  I hope this kid keeps the Kelly legacy alive.

1 good pre-season game and jumping a bust on the depth chart is a nice way to start a season but there is a long way to go before Chad becomes a starter, let alone before he is the next Tom Brady. I do agree though that the Bills should have drafted him, I would much rather have had Chad than Peterman on the roster. 

36 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

1 good pre-season game and jumping a bust on the depth chart is a nice way to start a season but there is a long way to go before Chad becomes a starter, let alone before he is the next Tom Brady. I do agree though that the Bills should have drafted him, I would much rather have had Chad than Peterman on the roster. 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:13 AM, Binghamton Beast said:

Yes, Tom Brady is exactly who comes to mind after watching Kelly play one pre-season game against third and fourth team guys.

Funny, but I think I saw one of those running around New Era last Thursday, in the second half, wearing a blue uniform.

Just for the record, I understand it's just one preseason game.  I did not mention that he would be the next Tom Brady.  I'm simply saying that this has the opportunity to wind up like a story such as Tom Brady.

On 8/14/2018 at 2:43 PM, H2o said:

Lynch is terrible. He was a one read guy in a Spread offense. I figured his game would not translate to the NFL and it hasn't. No surprise here.  

...LOL....."jumping Lynch" is like stepping over an ant hill....hardly a quantum "leap"...........

5 hours ago, eball said:

Truthfully, I'm tired of hearing about Chad Kelly.  Means nothing to me.  It's not like he's Jim's son.  Good for him moving up to #2 on Denver's depth chart.

Denver is usually a playoff contender the last 40 years.  This isn't the Browns.

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I like all our 3 QBs over all 3 Denver QBs.    Keenum is pretty good, but I think our guys in the same situation would do very well too.   

Keenum is better than the two vets we have. If Allen pans out he will much better than all.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Keenum is better than the two vets we have. If Allen pans out he will much better than all.  

Keenum had one good season last year on a pretty talented Vikings roster with a great OC.   I don't know that he's better than McCarron yet, Peterman I'll give you but give Peterman the amount of time Keenum has had in the NFL and we'll see. 

5 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Keenum had one good season last year on a pretty talented Vikings roster with a great OC.   I don't know that he's better than McCarron yet, Peterman I'll give you but give Peterman the amount of time Keenum has had in the NFL and we'll see. 

I've been a Keenum guy for a while. I wanted us to bring him here in that 2017 off-season if Tyrod didn't agree to take the paycut.  I always thought he was hamstrung on bad teams elsewhere and that given decent resources around him he would shine. I think he is a game manager but a premier game manager - similar to what I think about Tyrod.  I think McCarron is a kind of bang standard NFL game manager. Admittedly there is not much NFL tape on him on which to base that opinion - but what there is out there supports it.  

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
24 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Does anyone else having gut-rumbling fear we may have passed on a raw but brilliant rookie QB, despite his legendary Uncle’s urging to consider him?..

Yes.  I watched a lot of Kelly at Ole Miss and to me it just looked liked he had it.  I was beating the drum for Kelly a couple years ago in his prospect thread but other people wouldn't hear it.  He gets the ball out, is pretty athletic and has a nice arm.   His arm isn't Allen's but I think it is comparable to his uncle's in terms of strength and at least in college, he threw that classic rainbow deep ball the Jimbo used to throw. 

I know Chad doesn't seem like the brightest guy, but Jimbo was no genius.  That said, I think Chad is a lot like Jimbo in the sense that despite them both coming off as a bit meat headed (at least in Jimbo's playing days), on the football field they are both naturals and just know how to move an offense.  Jimbo was able to run the K-Gun and call his own plays and I see that in some of that awareness in Chad.  Having that football awareness at the QB position is extremely valuable.  I could see Chad being a decent starter in this league.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Watching the Broncos vs Bears. Keenum isn't looking good. He is over throwing passes getting penalties to keep drives alive, whereas Chad Kelly is ripping the ball right in there leading a scoring drive with ease.

If this continues I can see Kelly taking over midseason.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

On 8/16/2018 at 12:31 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Does anyone else having gut-rumbling fear we may have passed on a raw but brilliant rookie QB, despite his legendary Uncle’s urging to consider him?..

Absolutely NOT!

On 8/16/2018 at 12:55 PM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Yes.  I watched a lot of Kelly at Ole Miss and to me it just looked liked he had it.  I was beating the drum for Kelly a couple years ago in his prospect thread but other people wouldn't hear it.  He gets the ball out, is pretty athletic and has a nice arm.   His arm isn't Allen's but I think it is comparable to his uncle's in terms of strength and at least in college, he threw that classic rainbow deep ball the Jimbo used to throw. 

I know Chad doesn't seem like the brightest guy, but Jimbo was no genius.  That said, I think Chad is a lot like Jimbo in the sense that despite them both coming off as a bit meat headed (at least in Jimbo's playing days), on the football field they are both naturals and just know how to move an offense.  Jimbo was able to run the K-Gun and call his own plays and I see that in some of that awareness in Chad.  Having that football awareness at the QB position is extremely valuable.  I could see Chad being a decent starter in this league.

Felt the same way going into the 17' draft.  Regardless of who his Uncle is, Kelly had a lot of good things going for him.  Always felt he was a better prospect than guys like Peterman, Dobbs, Beathard, Kaaya etc.  I even liked him more than Mahomes who I thought was an absolute tire fire mechanics wise.

What hurt Kelly was the injuries on top of shady character history.  Those two things together, plus the fact he was admittedly overweight heading into the draft may have shown a lack of discipline.

With all that said, he seems to have turned a corner maturity wise.  He was a speaker at Kelly's Camp this year and did an incredible job at being humble and admitting he was a good example of how not to be as a person and player.  Wish him the best of luck as a player, but more than anything as a person because his story will inspire a lot of young guys.