Who is the frontrunner?

Mat68

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I agree with you, but I fear the organization doesn't see it that way. 

In fact, the ways things are going, they seem to be going more with a sheltered approach, bringing Allen along slowly.

I hope that all changes in the days ahead. 

I don't get that.  If Allen is the best QB or at least tied for best, you start him for Game 1, period.

There is no long term plan for AJ on this team.  None.  So why in the world play him if Allen can be played instead?

I appreciate your point and would be fine with Allen starting game 1.  I just think four games of watching would be helpful for Allen.  Letting the O-line gel for a few games would be helpful for any QB but a rookie even more so.  Also consider the teams they play in the first four - Ravens, Chargers, Vikings, and Packers.  Three of four on the road.  It is the hardest four game stretch of the season.  If AJ is 2-2 or 3-1 at that point you let him keep playing. If they Bills are 1-3 or 0-4, turn the keys over to Allen for the Titans at home.

And while I agree there is no long term plan for AJ, a good run by him makes him a valuable asset in the off-season.

All the people saying Allen should start week 1..... we just haven't seen anything to base that on yet. Yes he made some absolutely outstanding throws on Thursday... but he looked less comfortable than the other two in terms of operating the offense (I know he was playing with scrubs around him) and he also still made a couple of really head scratching decisions while failing to complete more than 50% of his passes. 

Was there stuff to get excited about? Absolutely. Does it even move him up the depth chart, let alone win him the job? I don't think so. Not yet anyway. He will get the 2n half again on Friday is my prediction. I want to see a bit more comfort in the operation of the offense, in getting through reads in the pocket and in taking what the defense gives him and getting the ball out on time thereby completing a higher % of his passes. Josh Allen has the "wow factor" over the other two and the "talent factor" too.  But he needs to show he can consistently lead an offense that moves the chains, play after play, and works the ball down the field. 

I get being excited, there was a lot to encourage us. Just pump the brakes. To quote a wise man "it's a process".  

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

All the people saying Allen should start week 1..... we just haven't seen anything to base that on yet. Yes he made some absolutely outstanding throws on Thursday... but he looked less comfortable than the other two in terms of operating the offense (I know he was playing with scrubs around him) and he also still made a couple of really head scratching decisions while failing to complete more than 50% of his passes. 

Was there stuff to get excited about? Absolutely. Does it even move him up the depth chart, let alone win him the job? I don't think so. Not yet anyway. He will get the 2n half again on Friday is my prediction. I want to see a bit more comfort in the operation of the offense, in getting through reads in the pocket and in taking what the defense gives him and getting the ball out on time thereby completing a higher % of his passes. Josh Allen has the "wow factor" over the other two and the "talent factor" too.  But he needs to show he can consistently lead an offense that moves the chains, play after play, and works the ball down the field. 

I get being excited, there was a lot to encourage us. Just pump the brakes. To quote a wise man "it's a process".  

i agree and the most important thing is getting wins in those first 2 games.  also, i believe the team counsel will have a large say in who they believe gives them the best chance.

i would imagine it would be awfully hard for the coach to sell the team on going through rookie ups and downs. players want to win.

AJ McCarron does NOT want to be a back up QB!  

IMO Peterman would be the Frank Reich kind of guy, happy with being a backup.

All things being equal, it would be silly to dump Peterman and keep AJ when AJ will most certainly move on after his contract is up.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with most of this. But the process has to be to put Allen with the twos this week in practice and in the game on Friday. There is no way you can bury Allen with the threes at this point. He is ready to play with the twos and I think he will on Friday. It's a fine line between bringing him along slowly and holding him back. The tough decision is who is the starter and who is the 3rd string QB. Allen will be the backup. That seems like the proper speed of the process to me.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'

I really hope it is McCarron. There is a lot of debate about how good Josh Allen will be and all that. I for one really like him. The one consistent thing, whether you like him or not, everyone pretty much agrees he needs some time. I really hope the staff excercises a bit of control and constraint and wait sa few games. Maybe it's 4, or maybe it is 8. 

He obviously has a by far some of the most talent I have ever seen, so I think they need to let it grow the right way. Just a few games on the bench will do him good while he works on some of the flaws in his game. 

I think the the problem is if he plays poorly and you have to bench him for one of those other guys, that's way worse for his developement. It's like Peterman starting in SD. When it his turn, it has stay his turn in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

I agree with most of this. But the process has to be to put Allen with the twos this week in practice and in the game on Friday. There is no way you can bury Allen with the threes at this point. He is ready to play with the twos and I think he will on Friday. It's a fine line between bringing him along slowly and holding him back. The tough decision is who is the starter and who is the 3rd string QB. Allen will be the backup. That seems like the proper speed of the process to me.

Personally I think you go AJ, then Nate, then Josh on Friday. Then you decide before game 3 who you think your week 1 starter is (seems they are pretty clear they don't want it to be Josh in their ideal world). Then week 3 you go your starter with the 1s, Josh with the 2s and the other guy with the 3s. That is what I would do and expect the Bills will do. 

I think it will be AJ, but if Peterman plays the next two games like he did this past week he'll earn it.

Allen is developing nicely but there is irrational exuberance over his performance last week.  I expect he may get a start or two late in the year if we are out of contention, and will be the starter next season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

If JA shows progression between gm1-gm2 I think you have to seriously look at starting him game 3 and to open the year. The difference in the throws he can make that AJM and NP can't is huge. 

The difference in his decision making is also a factor. AJM and NP at this point are not as reckless with the football either. Whether that's a product of Josh trying to do too much to impress is unknown. Josh has that arm talent and WOW factor the others can't match but when it comes down to it, it should be the guy that gives the team the best chance to win. I believe that to be AJM because of his experience and better arm than NP.   Josh still has a few games to change that view but I really think its between him and AJ. Nate to me just screams back up QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope Allen starts.  

I think AJ starts.  ...and I’m ok with that. 

I believe McDermott and staff know how tough our first half schedule is and see the first two games as winnable with a game manager who doesn’t turn it over, can be depended on to run the new offense and allow our defense to do its thing. 

Who starts Game 1, by probability: (I think Bills keep all three on the active roster)

55% - Peterman - Personally believe Nate is a better QB than McCarron and to date, he’s kept AJ at bay. If NP stays at his current trajectory AJ will have to significantly demonstrate a reason to take over top spot. Peterman has a low ceiling but I think he still has room for improvement, while this might be as good as AJ will ever become. 

30% - McCarron - He probably gets the nod if coaches believe the team is better off we a solid “C-Plus” QB and a very good Defense. High floor, Low ceiling. Won’t win but won’t lose many games (call him Tyrod-Plus). Moreover, I think they groom Nate as the permanent backup to either AJ or JA, well prepared to come off the bench, or step in if AJ falters. 

15% - Allen - I like Josh and think he could be a star, but the good news is Peterman and McCarron are playing well and there is no reason to rush him. There’s a lot to like but he needs to make significant improvements over the next few weeks to clearly beat out the two other QBs. While that could happen soon, we have the luxury of waiting a few weeks or until next year.  On the other hand, if JA steps up and overtakes AJ and NP, then it would be exciting to put him on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Pbomb said:

The vikings gave up a 1st for bradford a few years back when bridgewater went down. You never know how desperate some teams might get when their starter goes down

Bradford was a proven starter.  He still is.  Peterman played well in a couple of series in the first preseason game ... he also played decently in the preseason as a rookie and then screwed the pooch when he got his opportunity to start in the regular season.  I don't think the Bills will get much for Peterman even if he shines in preseason.

Edited by SoTier
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If Allen gets no 1st or 2nd team reps in the game this week, I agree.

But I don't think he needs to start to have a good chance. If AJ starts and Allen is 2nd, that's a rotation and it says Allen is still in it.

I get where you're coming from.  My take was they probably want their starting QB to be decided on between the game Friday and the 3rd pre-season game.  Hence the week one starter - starts the 3rd pre-season game.  I'd have a hard time thinking that could be Allen if he hasn't played with the 1's in a game.  Not saying I'm right, just wanted to clarify why I thought if Allen doesn't start Friday - it may help us understand their plan to start the season.  

• Like (+1) 1