Josh Allen Scouting Report

Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

I’ve been pumped since the day we drafted him. I don’t think in 30 years of watching football that I’ve seen an arm like his.  I remember watching Moon and George for example ( two known for their arm strength), but the way the ball leaves his hand is not something I’ve seen. 

He looks a lot like Elway to me from a tools perspective.

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I was probably the first to scout Allen. Watched him a bunch when he played Pee Wee back in Firebox, CA. I also went to several high school games scouting him and the local punter. Fast forward to last October and you’ll see many of my posts where I brought his name up as the best QB in the draft - nay, a generation. All youz guys that laughed at me can suck it. I was the first to like him as a QB. 

Where can I get a nice slice of pie in Firebox ? 

24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Props for bumping a thread where you and GunnerBill called him a third round pick?. If he pans out like some people (cough cough me) predicted, might be better to let that one sink to the bottom for a couple folk's sake.

Where did I say that?

i have him as a 1st round pick, and high end prospect...

i was critical of a bunch but I did say he was going high in round 1

Edited by Buffalo716

8 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I was probably the first to scout Allen. Watched him a bunch when he played Pee Wee back in Firebox, CA. I also went to several high school games scouting him and the local punter. Fast forward to last October and you’ll see many of my posts where I brought his name up as the best QB in the draft - nay, a generation. All youz guys that laughed at me can suck it. I was the first to like him as a QB. 

Like him, or LIKE him like him?

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Revisitng my scouting report from 7 months ago I am very pleased with how Allen is progressing.

He has really come along way in a bunch of departments (mechanics looks sharper, learning to throw with some touch)

and I don’t think he’s as inaccurate as many(including me when I made this) think he is 

The Howitzer that is attached to his right shoulder cannot be overstated, and cannot be grasped until you see it in person 

He is different. The ball comes out of his hand differently. He is special... no need to rush him...

i think as Bills fans we are so used to getting let down... it’s hard to truly believe we found the guy... that’s why it’s easy to look at his stat line from college and be unimpressed 

But when you break down what he does do good, and how much he’s willing to work to improve... the sky is the limit and he is already pretty good

When he finally is the starter there will be ups and downs but in time he will become a star For us... the term once in a generation gets tossed around far too much... but Joshs arm only comes around once every 25 years

Seeing it in person just made me billieve even more, he really does have rare talent 

Cant wait for the season and his career!

Go Bills

Too long; didn't read: we should all be optimistic. 

Thanks for this. As a longtime skeptic, given our QB history and I wanted Rosen, color me very intrigued/impressed.

I made a LONG drive to see the first game in person at NEF. Without question, I've never had this level of optimism in Losman, Edwards or EJ. Losman had an arm and some legs, but was kinda small and never really knew what the hell he was doing. Edwards had - it seemed - poise, but that led to check downs because he had zero arm. EJ, well, I never really got him at all. Just a guy. 

Allen, in one game, showed poise, command of huddle AND at the line, and just made plays with his arm and legs. Once he really gets dialed in within this O, it really is something to consider. 

A few things highlighted:

(1) I really can't comment on his college mechanics because, well, I just don't know that much about foot position, but he was not wildly inaccurate by any stretch. With #1 NFL receivers, at least one of his deep shots is a completion. 

(2) If he didn't have an arm, after all the hype, we would have pitch forks. But my lord, I know it's cliche to have an arm to 'throw in the wind of Buffalo' but it really is a thing. The fact he was throwing guys open on game 1 is very encouraging. 

(3) I don't know if this is just a product of the 'game plan' for the first preseason game, but he def stared down his receivers. Did he do slight pumps here and there to get DB's to commit? Absolutely. That all said, he needs to scan the field more with a plan already in mind. #1 defenses feast on guys that stare at the first read. That will lead to picks and sacks in the regular season. In some cases, all he had to do was identify the first read and where he was going to go, and then just look elsewhere for half a second to move a safety and make the throw. I am fully aware that is counter to my lack of knowledge of foot position, but on tape it's very clear what DBs do when Qb's are only looking at one half of the field. Again, could be a game plan/play call thing.

He just can't be Mr. Improv if he plays against #1's. Not yet anyway. 

8 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

He looks a lot like Elway to me from a tools perspective.

I think you’re most likely correct there. It was a long time ago, but still don’t remember Elway having that same pop. I’ll have to go back and watch some old highlights now lol. 

3 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Too long; didn't read: we should all be optimistic. 

Thanks for this. As a longtime skeptic, given our QB history and I wanted Rosen, color me very intrigued/impressed.

I made a LONG drive to see the first game in person at NEF. Without question, I've never had this level of optimism in Losman, Edwards or EJ. Losman had an arm and some legs, but was kinda small and never really knew what the hell he was doing. Edwards had - it seemed - poise, but that led to check downs because he had zero arm. EJ, well, I never really got him at all. Just a guy. 

Allen, in one game, showed poise, command of huddle AND at the line, and just made plays with his arm and legs. Once he really gets dialed in within this O, it really is something to consider. 

A few things highlighted:

(1) I really can't comment on his college mechanics because, well, I just don't know that much about foot position, but he was not wildly inaccurate by any stretch. With #1 NFL receivers, at least one of his deep shots is a completion. 

(2) If he didn't have an arm, after all the hype, we would have pitch forks. But my lord, I know it's cliche to have an arm to 'throw in the wind of Buffalo' but it really is a thing. The fact he was throwing guys open on game 1 is very encouraging. 

(3) I don't know if this is just a product of the 'game plan' for the first preseason game, but he def stared down his receivers. Did he do slight pumps here and there to get DB's to commit? Absolutely. That all said, he needs to scan the field more with a plan already in mind. #1 defenses feast on guys that stare at the first read. That will lead to picks and sacks in the regular season. In some cases, all he had to do was identify the first read and where he was going to go, and then just look elsewhere for half a second to move a safety and make the throw. I am fully aware that is counter to my lack of knowledge of foot position, but on tape it's very clear what DBs do when Qb's are only looking at one half of the field. Again, could be a game plan/play call thing.

He just can't be Mr. Improv if he plays against #1's. Not yet anyway. 

Too long.

Didnt read..

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know that Josh Allen was the QB I hoped the Bills would draft.  I liked Darnold and Mayfield.  I think Rosen had a chance to be successful.  I even immagined how Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph could be successful for the Bills.  I was not unhappy when the Bills drafted Allen, though I thought it might be a full year or more before he was ready to start.  The biggest change for me is that I now believe ye might be successful as a starter almost from day one if the Bills go in that direction.  He has three more preseason games, and he has made astounding progress on his learning curve.  I don't know that the Bills feel the need to start him day one, and I won't complain if they don't, but there's no reason IMO that they couldn't.

• Like (+1) 1

i was all over the place on Allen (and Darnold) throughout the process. Day of, I definitely wanted Rosen. I wasn't happy when they selected Allen. But, I've been very happy reading about his camp performance and it's a hell of a lot of fun watching him play.  

It's so fun being a fan in times like these.

18 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Fast forward to last October and you’ll see many of my posts where I brought his name up as the best QB in the draft - nay, a generation.

As much as I want Allen to succeed, the chances of him being a generational QB are ridiculously slim. 

All i looked for when he played was whether or not he made people around him better and if he outplayed everyone on the field.  He answered both those questions.  This is why you see him running with the 2nd team now.  

22 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I was very low on Allen before the draft. Out of all the first rounds QBs, he was the last one I wanted. When we drafted him I almost slit my wrist. Now I have a total man crush on him. I gushed like a school girl when he came out on the field against Carolina and when he flung the ball down the field with ease on his first snap my nipples got rock hard 

Very glad you said nipples.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

On 8/14/2018 at 3:53 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

I've said that is his ceiling from the beginning.

Actually he looks like he runs better than Elway.  Pure physical skills, he really stands out. 

18 hours ago, Nematocyte said:

As much as I want Allen to succeed, the chances of him being a generational QB are ridiculously slim. 

Actually not. Most years there's no one in the draft who looks like a generational QB.  For any given generation there are only about 10 guys who have a shot.  That means his chances are 1 in 10.  Not bad.  

On 8/13/2018 at 9:56 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Revisitng my scouting report from 7 months ago I am very pleased with how Allen is progressing.

He has really come along way in a bunch of departments (mechanics looks sharper, learning to throw with some touch)

and I don’t think he’s as inaccurate as many(including me when I made this) think he is 

The Howitzer that is attached to his right shoulder cannot be overstated, and cannot be grasped until you see it in person 

He is different. The ball comes out of his hand differently. He is special... no need to rush him...

i think as Bills fans we are so used to getting let down... it’s hard to truly believe we found the guy... that’s why it’s easy to look at his stat line from college and be unimpressed 

But when you break down what he does do good, and how much he’s willing to work to improve... the sky is the limit and he is already pretty good

When he finally is the starter there will be ups and downs but in time he will become a star For us... the term once in a generation gets tossed around far too much... but Joshs arm only comes around once every 25 years

Seeing it in person just made me billieve even more, he really does have rare talent 

Cant wait for the season and his career!

Go Bills

championships coming our way.