Josh Allen Scouting Report

Buffalo716

Revisitng my scouting report from 7 months ago I am very pleased with how Allen is progressing.

He has really come along way in a bunch of departments (mechanics looks sharper, learning to throw with some touch)

and I don’t think he’s as inaccurate as many(including me when I made this) think he is 

The Howitzer that is attached to his right shoulder cannot be overstated, and cannot be grasped until you see it in person 

He is different. The ball comes out of his hand differently. He is special... no need to rush him...

i think as Bills fans we are so used to getting let down... it’s hard to truly believe we found the guy... that’s why it’s easy to look at his stat line from college and be unimpressed 

But when you break down what he does do good, and how much he’s willing to work to improve... the sky is the limit and he is already pretty good

When he finally is the starter there will be ups and downs but in time he will become a star For us... the term once in a generation gets tossed around far too much... but Joshs arm only comes around once every 25 years

Seeing it in person just made me billieve even more, he really does have rare talent 

Cant wait for the season and his career!

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I expected Allen to come out like the raw rookie he is: nervous, shaky, hesitatant, and awed by the opportunity, especially being from a non-powerhouse school and conference.  What we witnessed, however, was a cool headed leader, seemingly comfortable in the glare of many doubting fans and a media likely ready to pounce.  He's still raw and obviously has a lot to learn.  But based on what we witnessed, the skeptics should beware.  There will be bumps ahead but the level of the bar has, hopefully, been raised considerably.

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

I was early on the bandwagon back in January ?

I don’t think you can say I disliked him... I called him a high end prospect but acknowledged his flaws

which any scout would 

He certainly warranted a high pick 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t think you can say I disliked him... I called him a high end prospect but acknowledged his flaws

which any scout would 

He certainly warranted a high pick 

Nah not saying that at all my friend. You did a nice scouting report.

just looking at my post on the first page. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Revisitng my scouting report from 7 months ago I am very pleased with how Allen is progressing.

He has really come along way in a bunch of departments (mechanics looks sharper, learning to throw with some touch)

and I don’t think he’s as inaccurate as many(including me when I made this) think he is 

The Howitzer that is attached to his right shoulder cannot be overstated, and cannot be grasped until you see it in person 

He is different. The ball comes out of his hand differently. He is special... no need to rush him...

i think as Bills fans we are so used to getting let down... it’s hard to truly believe we found the guy... that’s why it’s easy to look at his stat line from college and be unimpressed 

But when you break down what he does do good, and how much he’s willing to work to improve... the sky is the limit and he is already pretty good

When he finally is the starter there will be ups and downs but in time he will become a star For us... the term once in a generation gets tossed around far too much... but Joshs arm only comes around once every 25 years

Seeing it in person just made me billieve even more, he really does have rare talent 

Cant wait for the season and his career!

Go Bills

Relatively minor thing, but I was impressed by the way he was able to get the team in and out of the huddle.  They were consistently lined up at least 5 seconds quicker than when McCarron was in and that really makes a difference when you are trying to run a lot of motion, etc.  Rookies aren't usually very good at that and it didn't seem to be an issue - even with the dregs of the roster around him.

• Like (+1) 2

I was very low on Allen before the draft. Out of all the first rounds QBs, he was the last one I wanted. When we drafted him I almost slit my wrist. Now I have a total man crush on him. I gushed like a school girl when he came out on the field against Carolina and when he flung the ball down the field with ease on his first snap my nipples got rock hard 

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

I was probably the first to scout Allen. Watched him a bunch when he played Pee Wee back in Firebox, CA. I also went to several high school games scouting him and the local punter. Fast forward to last October and you’ll see many of my posts where I brought his name up as the best QB in the draft - nay, a generation. All youz guys that laughed at me can suck it. I was the first to like him as a QB. 

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I was probably the first to scout Allen. Watched him a bunch when he played Pee Wee back in Firebox, CA. I also went to several high school games scouting him and the local punter. Fast forward to last October and you’ll see many of my posts where I brought his name up as the best QB in the draft - nay, a generation. All youz guys that laughed at me can suck it. I was the first to like him as a QB. 

Got the lottery numbers for this week bud?

If Josh Allen's 2017 season looked like his 2016 season he would've been the first overall pick. People forget the hype he had right before the 2017 Draft. 

29 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Glad you're excited but let's not go overboard off of a half of preseason football v third stringers. LOL!

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

1 hour ago, DefenseWins said:

What has surprised me the most so far is the way he almost naturally steps up in the pocket consistently and his overall pocket presence...

Ironically enough, I think that *could* be the benefit of playing behind an abysmal line his last year at Wyoming. The clock is ticking the second the ball is snapped and a QB used to running for his life and keeping his awareness at its peak might help him be fervently cognizant of the pocket.

One of my worries with Mayfield was that he had soooooooo much time behind a great line at Oklahoma that he would struggle to adjust to the speed of the NFL Defense. I won't presume anything good or bad about one pre-season start. It won't be until the game is live with real scheme, passion and relentless pursuit before we know anything about any of them but IMHO especially Mayfield just because of the wide pocket he consistently had to throw from....but, we'll see.

Either way, RE: Allen, it's encouraging to see but I will reserve my highs or lows until the season starts and then wait until he's actually playing in the games before I make any concrete conclusions. 

I like that he is comfortable climbing the pocket, can throw on the run, looks to and is willing to throw the ball in tight windows, and can run when needed to.  His strong arm will really stretch the defense.  I look forward to what he can become in 2 years onward in this offense.  

Edited by richardb1952

We all know, we've heard and seen how strong of an arm he has but to actually see it in action, it's just absolutely crazy how much power he has behind his throws.  

That last preseason game showcased some of the "wow" throws that we are hoping to see.     That was one of the intangibles that I saw from watching his college videos that don't show up in the game stats.  There were so many times where on busted plays he gets out of the pocket and makes these amazing throws that only a handful of people in the NFL can make.   I honestly believe that the best comparable for him is Ben Roethlisberger.   The ability to break arm tackles, get outside of the pocket with his good athleticism, scan the field while doing so and then using his cannon arm to make big plays down the field.   The Wide Receivers on this team need to realize to never give up on their routes and think touchdown because undoubtedly they will have their opportunities to make big plays with Allen at the helm.

Another thing that I came away impressed with as a few others have noted was how he consistently climbed up the pocket and made throws.  Lots of QB's specially young ones see that pressure coming from the outside and begin to get jittery and that's where the mistakes begin to happen.  Allen showed lots of poise and did not show that jitteryness.   

He just needs to continue to work on his mechanics for those shorter throws and get some game action/experience and I'm confident we'll have our franchise QB that we've all been waiting for.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been pumped since the day we drafted him. I don’t think in 30 years of watching football that I’ve seen an arm like his.  I remember watching Moon and George for example ( two known for their arm strength), but the way the ball leaves his hand is not something I’ve seen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1