David Culley Talks Bills' QB Competition

3 hours ago, Lfod said:

McDermott is a genius keeping the rotation between Peterman and AJMcCarron. I think it's for more reasons than just a competition. You get both these guys plenty of reps because there could be a chance you might see both these guys playing games if an injury happens. 

Allen in the competition that is great if they really feel like he can be a contender for the starting role this season. I hope they did thier due diligence in coaching him up to a point they feel that confident he could start this season. 

I want Allen in the competition. It will make him better. He should pick up on the things the other guys do better and adapt it to his game. That's how you win a competition. He can easily win physically with that rocket launcher if he has that mental game down. He can learn from Peterman those quick reads as well.

If they are genuinely approaching it as a 3-way competition with an attitude of "let the best man win" then they are doing it the wrong way.

Allen should be pushed hard as the #1 and he should start Game 1 of the real season.  However they want to get him to that point while keeping an eye on the other 2 guys is fine; I don't really care how they do that.

But their entire organizational thinking should be Allen 110% until he shows he can't do it.  The other 2 guys shouldn't even register on the radar. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

you live around Buffalo? They have the bucket hats at the Bills store and probably laux sporting goods

Naw, a couple hours away - Bath, NY.  Amazon carries them.  I might try that.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

If Josh Allen wins the QB competition fair and square, then so be it. 

But my only thing is that once he goes in as the starter, I want him to STAY in. 

I absolutely do not want to have to pull him because he’s not ready. I’d rather not take any chance at hurting his confidence level. 

If Allen is named starter, they just have to be damn sure he’s ready to stay in. 

Otherwise, if there’s any doubt, go with AJ or Nate. 

Its a lot easier to switch from Nate/AJ to Josh than vise versa. 

yes

yes

and yes.

• Like (+1) 1

So much garbage...... they are "not treating him like a rookie"........ lol... he just gets 3rd team reps..... that will surely tell them how he handles NFL defenses... Just plain coach speak garbage by the WR coach.... laughable..

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I like the hat but not sure about having the chin strap all tightened up like that

Maybe skin cancer runs in the family.

3 hours ago, Rubes said:

If you can access it, a nice article from the Buff News about him. I thought it was pretty encouraging.

Bills QB coach Culley endorsed as 'right guy' to work with Josh Allen

When did they go behind a pay wall?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

So much garbage...... they are "not treating him like a rookie"........ lol... he just gets 3rd team reps..... that will surely tell them how he handles NFL defenses... Just plain coach speak garbage by the WR coach.... laughable..

Not the case.  They have been interspersing him with the 1st team offense and he got 2nd team reps today while Peterman was with the 3rd team.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

As with any job search you have to hire from the candidates who apply. Did you have someone specific in mind?

Um yeah....someone with actual experience coaching QB’s.  The whole “Buffalo can’t get any coaching candidates” narrative is so 2007 and flat out wrong in 2018.  

Also, this is the NFL.   It’s not like coaches post the positions on Indeed.com and review resumes.  The use their connections to solicit candidates that might be a good fit and available.  Culley was hired because McDermott felt he was the right guy.  The jury is very much out of him - we shall see.  

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Yeah!  It's obvious a lot of fans have prejudged him because he's been a WR coach throughout his pro career.  But judging from what Buffalo's three QBs have been doing in training camp and the first preseason game, he must be doing something right.  I was looking for a hat like that to use while mowing my lawn - all 2.5 acres.

Its silly and to make any judgements on QB’s in the preseason and training camp.   You can’t use training camp as any indication on Culley’s performance.  If you want to use that criteria, he holds some degree of responsibility for Peterman’s disasterous debut

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not the case.  They have been interspersing him with the 1st team offense and he got 2nd team reps today while Peterman was with the 3rd team.

I have read almost every word of every reporter since he was drafted and traveled to SJF to see for myself. He is a #7 overall pick treated like a 7th round pick. Period. Unlike the vast experience of McCarron and Peterman (oops!) who have earned first team reps because ahh... they were first round picks...no... ahhh... hmmmm they were so faaarrrr ahead of him in the playbook 2 months ago? Next thing you know McClown will say he had dug deep in his vast experience pool  in developing QBs as in NONE to recall what Andy Reid did nearly 20 years ago developing Donovan McNabb. So original and laughable.

1 minute ago, tumaro02 said:

I have read almost every word of every reporter since he was drafted and traveled to SJF to see for myself. He is a #7 overall pick treated like a 7th round pick. Period. Unlike the vast experience of McCarron and Peterman (oops!) who have earned first team reps because ahh... they were first round picks...no... ahhh... hmmmm they were so faaarrrr ahead of him in the playbook 2 months ago? Next thing you know McClown will say he had dug deep in his vast experience pool  in developing QBs as in NONE to recall what Andy Reid did nearly 20 years ago developing Donovan McNabb. So original and laughable.

Seriously?  We haven't even hit the 2nd preseason game. Let it play out. 

25 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Seriously?  We haven't even hit the 2nd preseason game. Let it play out. 

What will be certainly will be...and will be played out for sure.  What has happened is utterly disrespectful to Allen who has give NO reason whatsoever for the treatment he has been given considering the treatment McClown has given Edmunds... or don't you see any difference?

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m curious if Peterman is McD’s guy while Allen is Beane’s guy...wonder if that has something to do with Allen being treated like a 7th rounder- we shall see.

Thats not even a thing. One person says it and it becomes true for you just like that? Allen will get his chance just as soon as he's able to show consistency.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m curious if Peterman is McD’s guy while Allen is Beane’s guy...wonder if that has something to do with Allen being treated like a 7th rounder- we shall see.

A supercilious orifice would tell you to let it play out. It's only been one game.

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

Thats not even a thing. One person says it and it becomes true for you just like that? Allen will get his chance just as soon as he's able to show consistency.

Laughable. So define consistency then. Most likely to take a sack? Most likely to throw laterally rather than downfield? I really want to hear your definition of consistency. Please don't quote accuracy though unless you are one of those guys who value stats like 5/5 30, 0, 0 over 3/5 115, 1,0. You probably prefer the former and call it consistency.

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

A supercilious orifice would tell you to let it play out. It's only been one game.

Under the presumption that even a McClown can tell the difference of who gives the team the best chance to win games when prodded by his  GM?