Browns favored by 4?

Sky Diver

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Cleveland was 4-0 in preseason last year, 0-16 when games counted.

My theory is simple. A garbage team like Cleveland has a lot more question marks than a team like New England*, or even a middle of the road team like Buffalo or Kansas City. So the better teams know for the most part who their starters are gonna be. If they even play, they're in there for a quarter max, then bring in the 2nd string guys, and by the 2nd half, it's guys fighting to keep their job.

A team like Cleveland, that has so many question marks, plays their preseason games differently. Not that their necessarily trying to win. But they're playing their better players for longer because they have more questions to answer. So even though Cleveland is a much worse team, they're keeping their starters and 2nd string guys in longer, who are still better than the other team's 3rd/4th string players.  

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

All joking aside I’m not opposed to betting preseason games. There really is no rhyme or reason to it. It doesn’t require a ton of handicapping like the regular season. It’s more like betting a coin flip or what color tee you are going to pull out of your bag. If you get it right, great, if not, damn. You can’t bet a lot in preseason but it’s always more fun to have a little action on it. 

The only reason I could see, is a fun bet between two friends who are fans of opposing teams. But those bets don't take the spread into account. 

17 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The only reason I could see, is a fun bet between two friends who are fans of opposing teams. But those bets don't take the spread into account. 

I won’t bet more than $50 a game in the preseason. It really is just action for action sake. It does make the preseason way more interesting. 

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

You have to be a massive degenerate gambler to bet on NFL pre-season games where the outcomes are likely to be decided by 2nd, 3rd and 4th string players. Also, the lines factor in the backup players, so the line is absolutely meaningless. Don't get too caught up about pre-season scores and such, to me in the 2nd and 3rd pre-season games (I find the 1st to not be meaningful and the 4th to be a complete waste) you are looking at how certain players perform and getting a feel for who is setting themselves apart. 

You have to be an idiot to bet on a game where winning is the lowest of the coaches' priorities.  Pre-season is all about evaluating individuals and getting your starters back up to game speed. Neither coach is trying to win.

3 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My theory is simple. A garbage team like Cleveland has a lot more question marks than a team like New England*, or even a middle of the road team like Buffalo or Kansas City. So the better teams know for the most part who their starters are gonna be. If they even play, they're in there for a quarter max, then bring in the 2nd string guys, and by the 2nd half, it's guys fighting to keep their job.

A team like Cleveland, that has so many question marks, plays their preseason games differently. Not that their necessarily trying to win. But they're playing their better players for longer because they have more questions to answer. So even though Cleveland is a much worse team, they're keeping their starters and 2nd string guys in longer, who are still better than the other team's 3rd/4th string players.  

I agree.  It's the nature of the beast.  A bottom feeder like Cleveland is going to have more turnover at the top of the roster.  They are going to have more questions on starters than better teams, and questions about starters need to be answered before they can look for answers about fringe guys.  So, they have more motivation to start their starters for more snaps than a good team would.

7 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Only gambling addicts.

I had a boss when I was younger that would bet on girls softball, golf, mud racing- ANYTHING...

Mike Schopp appears to be that kind of guy.

He gets excited at the prospect of a bet over anything, and has made that clear multiple times on the air! 

Dude is a total gambling addict.

:lol:

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I had no idea they existed.  Who would actually take these bets?  

Inmates. They bet on anything and everything. 

And im guessing the browns are favored because the idiots that watch football still think the Bills should have made Tyrod Taylor the franchise QB. 

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

Inmates. They bet on anything and everything. 

And im guessing the browns are favored because the idiots that watch football still think the Bills should have made Tyrod Taylor the franchise QB. 

....what?

this post is riddled with assumptions. anyway, we'll see.

11 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

They do lines for pre-season?  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yep some folks bet on preseason games .

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did you remember this article?  Broncos got revenge didn't they?  The Seahawks won the Super Bowl but the Broncos won the following preseason.

Denver absolutely has bragging rights.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2014/08/07/denver-broncos-take-pre-season-revenge-on-seattle.html

et tu Kirby?

his friends call him Brutus,  i might have heard

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FIFY

and now i finally know what FIFY means,

that took me a lifetime. i never asked and hoped i would figure it out. 3 years later.
Kirby er ,, Brutus 
 Thanks to you I am a better person today

• Haha (+1) 1