Nick O'Leary Possibly on the Bubble with Jason Croom Emerging - Jack's Grandson Released

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He had three receptions in limited time last night. 

The point I was opposing was that Daboll is looking to cut loose TE’s that are not like the ones that NE typically employs (Gronk, Hernandez, Bennett).  Versatile pass catching TE’s.  Khari Lee is not that.  That was my point.  Great that Lee had a few receptions, but he is not a guy who is going to stretch the field.

21 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The point I was opposing was that Daboll is looking to cut loose TE’s that are not like the ones that NE typically employs (Gronk, Hernandez, Bennett).  Versatile pass catching TE’s.  Khari Lee is not that.  That was my point.  Great that Lee had a few receptions, but he is not a guy who is going to stretch the field.

I'm keeping OLeary all day and twice on Game day over Lee

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

O' Leary is a gamer. Period. He won't wow you in practice. He's not going to be on any Youtube videos for high jumps and things like that. But you can bet your ass he's going to make that clutch catch on third and medium.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

NE always employ tight ends that block well.

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

NE always employ tight ends that block well.

Great, well they’d most assuredly love Khari Lee if he is released then.

34 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm keeping OLeary all day and twice on Game day over Lee

I actually think Logan Thomas is going to be the odd man out.  Has flashed a few times, but is not really good at anything.  I think the LT experiment is over.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Great, well they’d most assuredly love Khari Lee if he is released then.

I actually think Logan Thomas is going to be the odd man out.  Has flashed a few times, but is not really good at anything.  I think the LT experiment is over.

I agree. He hasn’t made the jump to who they thought he could be 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

He caught a long TD on blown coverage by 3rd string.  That hardly locks down his spot on the roster IMO

It can’t hurt his cause.  Look...I don’t think anyone can say that O’Leary is a lock.  We all have different opinions on where he stands.  The main reason I think he will make the 53 is because he has actual NFL game experience, and has made key plays in Clay’s absence.  Big plays.  I like what I have seen from Croom, and to a lesser extent Lee, but I think O’Leary provides experience which has value.

Logan Thomas should be gone.  Not good at anything, really.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It can’t hurt his cause.  Look...I don’t think anyone can say that O’Leary is a lock.  We all have different opinions on where he stands.  The main reason I think he will make the 53 is because he has actual NFL game experience, and has made key plays in Clay’s absence.  Big plays.  I like what I have seen from Croom, and to a lesser extent Lee, but I think O’Leary provides experience which has value.

I like O'Leary too.  But it's a numbers game.  Clay obviously makes team.  Khari Lee is our blocking TE and appears to have made roster.  And they rave about Croom.  If we cut any of those 3, San Diego picks them up instantly IMO.  Do we keep 3 or 4 TE's?  If we keep 4- Nick has a shot.  But he doesn't block well, run well, or do special teams.   That doesn't help his cause.  May the best 3/4 win

On 8/13/2018 at 9:06 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I am not sure how to say this but when I watch Nick it’s like he is from the 50’s. From his wardrobe to his speed. Nick makes some nice catches but he just has very little speed and moves to escape defenders. Nick’s size hamper him in blocking. I’ve liked having him on the team but if someone is better they need to stay. 

I think his size is a misconception. He looks small but he isn't. He's the same size as Charles Clay. He's shorter for a tight end, but most guys are 6-4, 6-5...O'Leary is 6-3. His arms are on the shorter size but I think he is fine size wise. 

You are are right though. He's more of a throwback and isn't going to give you any wow plays. Imo opinion, that's what you need out of your tight end #2. There is no way guys Croom and Thomas are better blockers. Taller and longer yes. I hope O'Leary stays. 

39 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The only play I can remember Thomas making was that TD in the Tampa Bay game(I believe it was the score to win the game in the end), but other than that nothing....OLeary seems to make a big play almost every game and it always seems to come at a time we really need it, like when the offense has been struggling badly.

From Cover 1's Studs and Duds:

STUDS
– TE Nick O’leary

Before the game, I wrote about O’Leary’s fall down the depth chart and how he had to do something to recapture his job. Despite playing only in the fourth quarter, with Charles Clay, Khari Lee, Logan Thomas and Jason Croom all seeing time before him, O’Leary showed up big time and did what he could to stay in the competition for a roster spot.

The big-bodied TE led the team with four receptions for 70 yards and one TD, showing his usual reliability and sure hands. He isn’t in a good position at this point, with more athletic options playing well ahead of him, but he certainly helped himself yesterday.
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/13/2018 at 10:01 AM, Happy Gilmore said:

The only player I remember not fitting into NE's offense was Scott Chandler.  O'Leary >>> Chandler.  Point is, they would make it work, they always do.  I'm not saying he'll be Gronk-like production (ironic 'Gronk' and 'PhD' are used in the same sentence), but a complementary piece.

I have heard Gronk and Phd mentioned many times such as "Gronk is really PhuckeD up in the head".

On 8/13/2018 at 7:12 PM, SWATeam said:

O'Leary strikes me as more of a "gamer" than someone who is going to stand out in practice.  I hope he sticks.

As others pointed out, a gamer would have better stats in the last three years....He is buried in the depth chart and that is what he is..if a better backup becomes available then he will be replaced.

• Like (+1) 1