Cover1 breaks down Allen's last drive against the Panthers

HappyDays

Great video. 

I particularly rly liked how, right before the TD, we saw how many rookies were on the field - yet still getting ready for the next play without a huddle. This is a well-coached team. And Allen has full control of the offense. 

So damn excited about this kid.

• Like (+1) 1

I was also in the “anyone but Allen” camp prior to the draft.   When they drafted him, I was upset but I figured there’s nothing I can do but hope that he succeeds.  When I saw him at camp he seemed to have potential.  When I first read the stat line from the game, I said “not surprising.“  When I saw his play in the game however, I saw that four, maybe five, of his incompletions were because of drops, the wrong route being run, or the receiver giving up on the play, and another 2 were because he was under pressure almost immediately (although what he did on that 4th down play should never happen again). 

Beyond that I was glad to see that he looked in-command, could hit the short stuff (as that’s a problem with strong-armed quarterbacks), and that his scrambling ability adds another dimension.  That being said, he’s still got a lot to learn but hopefully he has time because NP and/or AJ are playing well. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

Here's to hoping that all Allen's points of concern are similar to Farve who was playing backyard ball early in his career. 

1 hour ago, PeteBills4ever said:

Awesome throw for the TD, really powerful arm, I would be curious to see how fast he can throw a baseball!

How'd you like to catch it? 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Something else I notice in this film is Wyatt Teller abusing the d-linemen. He looks like a future starter.

I also agree about Teller, I told my wife that it’s rare that an offensive guard sticks out to me for something good. That guy looked impressive to me. 

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Not sure why Cover1 accepts the read on the TD. That was a low % attempt. The coverage should have lead Allen to the middle of the field. Hopefully Bills coaches don't accept that read.

I think Erik said that.  He said "this isn't really an open receiver" and comments on Proehl coming open over the middle.  That's not really the point, though.  Allen made a read, faked the corner, and threw a dart.  This is what should excite Bills fans and is something we haven't seen since Jim Kelly -- fearlessness combined with physical ability.

Once Allen is the starter -- whether that comes in W1 or later -- we will see some interceptions that are the result of his insane confidence in his arm.  Just like Kelly used to throw.  Here's the difference, even between Allen and Kelly.  Allen's arm is so good that the ball will get to the receiver so quickly it will be tough for a defender to anticipate.  The pressure Allen will put on all DBs is something I don't think a lot of people are really considering.  The Panthers had very good coverage on Ray-Ray for that play.  I think they saw the result and looked at each other like, "what were we supposed to do?"  That's exciting.

Yes, it was one play on one drive in a preseason game.  But it was very telling.

• Like (+1) 6

18 minutes ago, eball said:

I think Erik said that.  He said "this isn't really an open receiver" and comments on Proehl coming open over the middle.  That's not really the point, though.  Allen made a read, faked the corner, and threw a dart.  This is what should excite Bills fans and is something we haven't seen since Jim Kelly -- fearlessness combined with physical ability.

Once Allen is the starter -- whether that comes in W1 or later -- we will see some interceptions that are the result of his insane confidence in his arm.  Just like Kelly used to throw.  Here's the difference, even between Allen and Kelly.  Allen's arm is so good that the ball will get to the receiver so quickly it will be tough for a defender to anticipate.  The pressure Allen will put on all DBs is something I don't think a lot of people are really considering.  The Panthers had very good coverage on Ray-Ray for that play.  I think they saw the result and looked at each other like, "what were we supposed to do?"  That's exciting.

Yes, it was one play on one drive in a preseason game.  But it was very telling.

I know Allen has rare talent. My biggest worries were mental. I thought he made too many poor decisions vs 3rd and 4th team vanilla defense. 

What I did love was his pocket movement. Showed poise in the pocket. His talent alone and pocket movement should be enough to make him a decent starter in this league, so that was a plus we saw in his 1st live action. Firing it between 3 defenders when it's not open and other players are open doesn't excite me. He did that more than once. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

I know Allen has rare talent. My biggest worries were mental. I thought he made too many poor decisions vs 3rd and 4th team defense

What I did love was his pocket movement. Showed poise in the pocket. His talent alone and pocket movement should be enough to make him a decent starter in this league, so that was a plus we saw in his 1st live action. 

You really need to expound upon this.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

There were a couple other times he threw into coverage when down and distance said check down and take 5-10 yards. 

I'm really just trying to understand your comment.  So on 23 dropbacks you think Allen didn't appropriately check it down "a couple of times?"

I'm ok with that.  And on one of the plays I think you're referring to Proehl was clearly interfered with but it wasn't called.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

There were a couple other times he threw into coverage when down and distance said check down and take 5-10 yards. 

I would argue that arm talent slightly dictates what should happen in those situations. 

His gift in that area is one of the primary reasons he was drafted so high. You wanna scrap that right off the get? 

In 3 years if he pans out and he’s making those “WOW” moments I can see you in the stands sitting there saying “ya but it was a risk and he shoulda taken the easy 5 instead of threading the needle on a 30 yd rope for 6”.... that sounds like fun. 

Im cool with it. It could be what separates him and the bills from the rest of the AFC.... or it could put him out of the league. But I think soon enough he’ll realize what he can and can’t do and adjust accordingly. Seems like a smart dude. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

48 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

MEH, it's pre-season and what fun is checking down. It was a small sample size, but i like what i saw out of the kid!

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

How anyone could watch that and come away with THIS boggles the mind.

Because it's true. If you get excited about him fitting it between defenders when the simple read was right in front of him then you're being biased. I don't want him to make that throw, I want him to recognize the wide open read based on the defense. 

24 minutes ago, snamsnoops said:

MEH, it's pre-season and what fun is checking down. It was a small sample size, but i like what i saw out of the kid!

I'm going to critique his play and strive for perfection. That was his 1st live action in the NFL. He won't be remembered for preseason week 1.

11 minutes ago, wppete said:

These cover1 guys make excellent videos. I started watching last week and they have amazing Buffalo Bills video breakdowns. Great stuff! 

Erik and his team do a great job. They are incredibly knowledgeable. The level of depth that they go to is past any Bills coverage I’ve ever seen from the media. The only other place that you can get that level of analysis is from some of the great posters here. We are blessed to have a handful of people that really dig in like that.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Not sure why Cover1 accepts the read on the TD. That was a low % attempt. The coverage should have lead Allen to the middle of the field. Hopefully Bills coaches don't accept that read.

Because it was the right read. Clock running that is a half field read. Depending how that CB plays that two man route combo thats where the ball goes. 

Sorry that was the right read.