Josh Rosen vs Josh Allen: Game 1 Comparison

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What’s Your Point?

Some people need to be told and tell others that we made the right decision. It’s been one preseason game but given how polarizing the selection of Allen was, we can’t moss this opportunity to prop him up over Rosen. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Rosen was my guy throughout the draft process. I wasn’t happy with the selection of Allen over Rosen. It’s not that I didn’t see Allen’s talent; I feared his floor. Time will tell I guess but I sure hope that I’m wrong. So far I’ve been happy with Allen’s development.

Right there with ya

6 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

After watching Rosen’s passing downs, it’s probably prudent to point out that the Cardinals’ offensive line in pass protection was atrocious. For instance, Rosen was blasted in the face up the middle on his first completion. OP decided not to mention this, but since Allen’s misses were excused away by many here as due to poor protection, I think it’s appropriate to mention.

The difference is one of them had atrocious pass protection in college and actual NFL caliber targets and the other one didn’t so when they got to the NFL one of them struggle much more than the other

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It looked like Rosen was a bit flustered for a moment, resulting in the delay of game. He made some great throws, though. Took some hits and didn't break in half, much to the surprise of many here...

He’ll break in half eventually. 

7 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Honestly, I was impressed by all of the top four quarterbacks' debuts. I think it's going to be a special draft class. I'm not sure who will separate themselves, despite the wild hyperbole on here, but it will be fascinating to watch. God I hope it's Allen. Loved his pocket presence, demeanor, and conviction with throws. Like others have said man do I have to see him without the 3s. Rosen also played his game well, save for one truly bad read. 

Football can only benefit from a good crop of QBs.  Personally I'm excited about the games and comparisons between them for years to come.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

His “mental makeup”? I’ll bite - what exactly do you mean by this? 

Edit — if you mean the concussions then that’s fair I suppose.

I think he's questioning Rosen's commitment to football.  He has certainly made it seem like he would be equally happy doing other things with his UCLA education.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

He made something out of nothing for 3 years. UCLA and now Arizona have terrible offensive lines. He made two great passes that only his receiver could get on the outside that were dropped. He had one low pass that was a completion. I think if Allen had made those throws you would be defending him and blaming the WRs. Rosen's ball placement looked great. He isn't our QB, but that doesn't mean we can just make **** up when the video proof is right there. 

Didn't Kolton Miller OT go like 15 overall? And then Scott Quessenbury went midround too. He had at least 2 future NFL draftees on his OL.

7 minutes ago, jr1 said:

I was impressed with Allen's scrambling ability

Me too, I can't stand immobile statues with guns for an arm like Bledsoe. JA's pocket presence on Thursday was most impressive with all the scrubs he was playing with.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I think he's questioning Rosen's commitment to football.  He has certainly made it seem like he would be equally happy doing other things with his UCLA education.

And yet he’s chosen to risk his health to play football, even with a documented history of concussions already. Seems pretty committed to me. But hey the guy has interests and opinions that aren’t exclusively about the game so he must have one foot out the door already right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cash said:

One of my main anti-Allen arguments pre-draft was basically, "if he's so good, why didn't he put up good numbers against bad competition, a la Flacco or Roethlisberger?" I get that his teammates were really bad or whatever, but I would hope that a top 10 QB would be capable of elevating a poor team. Especially since our team (for now) has very little talent on the offensive side of the ball. 

I was was a big Rosen proponent before the draft, but it's over now, so I'm not following him in the preseason. Hopefully the Bills were right and I was wrong. Either way, I'm not into driving myself crazy with what ifs. 

As for Allen's debut, that didn't change anything for me. We already knew he was capable of flashes of greatness on individual plays. We still don't know if he's capable of consistent goodness the rest of the time. There were several stinkers in there with the good throws. His first throw was an EJ Special - receiver had his man beat deep; throw was uncatchable out of bounds. EJ made some nice plays from time to time, too. 

But obviously it's still very early, and there's plenty of time for Allen to improve. Hopefully he does!

Agree, but I feel much more positive about Allen’s future now than I did after the draft. He has already shown the ability to learn, make quick reads, and lead his team. The more we see from Allen as a pro, the less we’ll care about his college career. His less than stellar college career has always been concerning to me as well.

Allen did many things in his debut to silence some of my concerns. However, fans seem to be most excited about his incredible arm strength. Bills fans have instantly fallen in love after seeing his arm strength first hand. Anyone who watched him play in Wyoming wouldn’t be in such awe. Everyone knew that he possesses a cannon for an arm. Arm talent is what got him drafted so highly. Allen’s NFL future will be determined by his ability to improve accuracy, and consistently make good decisions. 

I’m pleased that his debut wasn’t a disaster. That gives me hope he has the ability to keep improving.    I’m now cautiously optimistic about Allen. I just haven’t fallen in love because I saw his arm strength in a Bills uniform. His success will be determined by much more than arm strength. If he continues to improve, we might finally have a franchise QB. Improvement will be the key to Allen’s success. Arm strength can’t be used as an asset before learning other areas of the game. 

22 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

How many of us would be equally happy (or more so) working different careers? That fact isn’t exclusive to being devoted to ones current career.  I’ve never understood this anti-Rosen argument. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5
  • Like (+1) 1

I watched the "every throw by Josh Rosen" clip and it did look like the Cardinals' OL is terrible.  He made one really nice back shoulder throw and completed some short stuff, and as noted above he threw one pass that should've gone back for 6 the other way.

Having now seen Lamar Jackson twice, and Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, and Rosen once, I'm comfortable saying Allen and Mayfield had the most impressive debuts.  Darnold's completion percentage was higher but he didn't make any "wow" plays.  Jackson is going to struggle and is more of a project than the others.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I thought so too, but not overdrafted the point of absurdity, still drafted in the appropriate round or thereabouts.

Agreed, I seen Miller as 2nd round pick and was very surprised that Gruden(I think it was the Raiders who took him?) made that pick.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Paulus said:

Dude, Allen was the best QB in the draft. Darnold is a close second. 

Hahahahahahaha....Bills fan

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Unfortunately, Rosen is the type of player who won't last long if they keep trotting him out there with no protection.  He doesn't have the build or mental makeup to take a ton of hits.

Yeah....bcuz Aaron Rogers is built like Cam.....or Brady for that matter. Your comment holds no weight.

Edited by Jaywrizzo

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good point. One bad decision that should have been picked.  Looked pretty good other than that with excellent throws mixed in.

I would compare this to Allen. That team did Rosen zero favors. 

I liked what I saw from the kid. That would be pick 6 wasnt too pretty though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

A question I had going into the draft is how Rosen would fair with a weaker supporting cast than he had at UCLA. How many UCLA players got drafted? 7? 8? Josh Allen had nobody at WYO and he did great with nobodies, that's the difference.

Wait until Allen has McCoy and Benjamin, they are 1,000x better than anything he's ever had.

unfortunately, most defenses he’ll be facing are also 1000x better than anything he’s ever faced.