Josh Rosen vs Josh Allen: Game 1 Comparison

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It was a mixed bag for Rosen like Allen.  He threw some really nice balls and made one nearly fatal (pick 6) error.  Little could've had that back shoulder throw near the sidelines near the end of the half.  What was up with the snapper?  Only time will tell, but I'm happy Rosen's in the NFC.

Now amp that up 1000% for a regular season game at LA and Rosen may have looked and turned in a similar performance as Peterman did against the Chargers. Hmmmm...... interesting, how good/bad is Rosen/Peterman.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

The more I see some post around here, the more I'd like to see Rosen crash and burn so I can rub noses in it.

So much arrogance and cocksure attitude.

Everyone is defending “thier guy” with the same reasoning, hilarious. 

3 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Injury potential is tough to predict - players of all sizes get seriously hurt in the NFL. 

I believe 5 were drafted this year, and 3 of those were day 3 picks. UCLA was a bad Pac-12 team last year. I think you’re overstating things. And whether Allen was “great” at Wyoming is up for debate.

I did some construction work in college.  We had a couple guys working who looked “frail” - scrawny little bodies.  We had an ex-competitive swimmer who looked like he’d be a fantastic worker - 6’3”, chiseled, big strong shoulders, cut arms, had to get special jeans to go over his quads (he said)

Guess who was still working hard at the end of the day, never injured.  Guess who was “sandbagging” halfway through the afternoon and missed time (back, shoulder, etc)

Size and bulk do not equal durability and toughness.  I believe the Navy Seals have also proven this over the years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I watched some of Mayfield's play, and the dude is already savvy and a leader. Doesn't look anything special physically but that matters little for some very successful QBs. I'm still buzzing from Allen's performance though. And all 3 QB plays. And AT LAST, some creativity on offense, which you don't even expect in preseason.

Josh Rosen shows signs of potential in first NFL action

Josh Rosen had to wait until Sammy Sleeves completed his one drive before Rosen got his first crack at NFL competition.

He didn't set the world on fire in the Cardinals' 24-17 win over the Los Angeles Chargers. But he showed some small signs Saturday that he might have a productive career in his future.

Playing with the second-string linemen for the majority of his stint, Rosen was subjected to constant pressure, but rarely crumbled. The rookie felt and evaded pressure, escaping the pocket before resetting and completing his best pass of the night, a 21-yard strike to tight end Gabe Holmes.

Rosen also stood tall in the pocket late in the first quarter, releasing while getting slammed and completing his first pass as a Cardinal to Christian Kirk.

Frankly, it seemed as though those years spent under duress at UCLA benefited him in his first game as a professional. Sure, Rosen missed a target here and there, but he also completed multiple passes on plays that began with poor snaps from backup center Daniel Munyer and ended with Rosen getting hit, or grabbed by someone wearing a different-colored jersey.

7 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Josh Rosen Gm 1 Stats:

6-13 41 yds 0 TD, 0 Int

Josh Allen Gm 1 Stats:

9-19 116 yds 1 TD, 0 Int

Initial impression is Rosen looked like an average rookie, nothing special about his game.  He looks a little frail for a QB especially compared to Allen.

I'm feeling a little better after seeing these two play part of a game.  I think the Bills made the right choice in the draft but I was originally thinking they were going for Rosen.

Josh Allen while inaccurate on some plays, just seems to have the physical gifts that really stand out over Rosen.  Time will tell but I can see why the Bills are hopeful with Allen based on his physical stature and how he fires the ball.  Let's hope he develops into our guy of the future!  

Go Bills!!

I also felt positive they were targeting Rosen in the draft 

From a guy that wanted Rosen. If I compare these two games Allen played better. 

Here is what I saw from Rosen. 

Mechanics - still elite and smooth 

Pocket Presence - ability to slide and create space is there. However the actual escapability is not. Allen got out of situations to keep play alive that would have resulted in Rosen getting sacked. 

Ball placement - This was something that popped up time to time at UCLA but not like last night. Throws where High, Behind for most of the night. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

Everyone is defending “thier guy” with the same reasoning, hilarious. 

Rosen was my guy all pedraft I was upset we took Allen over him. However when we did I said I would give Allen time and have his back. He hasn’t let me down yet. So far through the mini camp, training camp and first game I can see why Mcbeane took Allen over Rosen. Watched all his throws again and stand by my statement. His Ball placement wasn’t good. Should of had pick 6 on one (which simiar to some of his ints at UCLA) had a completion in the intermediate range where the ball was at his foot. If he lead him better would of been a huge play. The another vertical pass into two defenders and hit one defender on the should. On top of that, the dude needs a clean pocket, he really can’t make something out of nothing

Somewhat similar to Allen’s circumstances in PG1.  Allen gets the edge for having a TD and pushing the ball down the field. 

-Had one terrible throw, as did Allen.  Difference being Allen’s was on a 4th down. 

-Like Allen, he faced serious pressure on some throws.  

-Like Allen, he didn’t have wide open WRs running around the middle of the field.  

I like what ive seen from all 4 top QBs so far.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

After watching Rosen’s passing downs, it’s probably prudent to point out that the Cardinals’ offensive line in pass protection was atrocious. For instance, Rosen was blasted in the face up the middle on his first completion. OP decided not to mention this, but since Allen’s misses were excused away by many here as due to poor protection, I think it’s appropriate to mention.

Agreed.

-Both QB suffered from atrocious play at center and when I say “atrocious”, I mean “what are those guys doing wearing NFL jerseys?”

-Both QB suffered from some poor WR/TE play - we’ve already covered Foster looking over his shoulder for the ball and quitting on a route, some drops.  I thought Rosen’s second throw the TE should have had it - the TE was in traffic but that’s the job of a TE, be a big target and always open 2 ft over his head.  Rosen’s throw that bounced off the defender’s helmet, looked like It could have been a route running mistake.  Or it could have been messed-up timing from the snap and the DL jailbreak.

Overall, I thought Daboll’s play designs did a better job of helping Allen and the OL by keeping the D on their heels just a little bit.  With Rosen, the opposing D was just pinning their ears back and going for the kill.

Allen has wheels and is a real threat to run, but he showed better ability to move around in the pocket and step up to evade than I was expecting.  Must be working on that.

Rosen is not a real threat to run, but he showed more mobility and more ability to reset quickly and throw accurately on the run than I was expecting.  MBWOT.

I did not see the ball placement issues with Rosen that another poster commented on.  I saw him make a close-in throw to a TE that had to be high to avoid being batted.  He had a couple throws to WR where it looked like some kind of route miscommunication or the ball was put exactly where it had to be to avoid the defender having a play, and the WR didn’t do his part.

I thought Allen’s ball placement could have been better a handful of times, but I was pleasantly surprised a couple of times by how pinpoint he was.

In general, I thought Allen made good decisions with the ball.  His decision making was ahead of where I expected it to be.  Daboll’s play calls and design may be a factor.

In general, I thought Rosen made some poor decisions with the ball - one that was Peterman-like for WTF!!!!@#$%#! and should have been pick-6.  I think he may be the sort of QB you have got to give an OL, which is to be truthful, most QB.  But the play calling and scheme looked very very vanilla.

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I believe 5 were drafted this year, and 3 of those were day 3 picks. UCLA was a bad Pac-12 team last year. I think you’re overstating things. And whether Allen was “great” at Wyoming is up for debate.

One of my main anti-Allen arguments pre-draft was basically, "if he's so good, why didn't he put up good numbers against bad competition, a la Flacco or Roethlisberger?" I get that his teammates were really bad or whatever, but I would hope that a top 10 QB would be capable of elevating a poor team. Especially since our team (for now) has very little talent on the offensive side of the ball. 

I was was a big Rosen proponent before the draft, but it's over now, so I'm not following him in the preseason. Hopefully the Bills were right and I was wrong. Either way, I'm not into driving myself crazy with what ifs. 

As for Allen's debut, that didn't change anything for me. We already knew he was capable of flashes of greatness on individual plays. We still don't know if he's capable of consistent goodness the rest of the time. There were several stinkers in there with the good throws. His first throw was an EJ Special - receiver had his man beat deep; throw was uncatchable out of bounds. EJ made some nice plays from time to time, too. 

But obviously it's still very early, and there's plenty of time for Allen to improve. Hopefully he does!

3 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Rosen was my guy all pedraft I was upset we took Allen over him. However when we did I said I would give Allen time and have his back. He hasn’t let me down yet. So far through the mini camp, training camp and first game I can see why Mcbeane took Allen over Rosen. Watched all his throws again and stand by my statement. His Ball placement wasn’t good. Should of had pick 6 on one (which simiar to some of his ints at UCLA) had a completion in the intermediate range where the ball was at his foot. If he lead him better would of been a huge play. The another vertical pass into two defenders and hit one defender on the should. On top of that, the dude needs a clean pocket, he really can’t make something out of nothing

He made something out of nothing for 3 years. UCLA and now Arizona have terrible offensive lines. He made two great passes that only his receiver could get on the outside that were dropped. He had one low pass that was a completion. I think if Allen had made those throws you would be defending him and blaming the WRs. Rosen's ball placement looked great. He isn't our QB, but that doesn't mean we can just make **** up when the video proof is right there. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Are we going to have a thread every week about this for the next 15 years?  Each are rookies that have played one pre-season game.  Each did some good and not so good things.  And in another revelation water is wet.

Bills fans are really insecure 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cash said:

I was was a big Rosen proponent before the draft, but it's over now, so I'm not following him in the preseason. Hopefully the Bills were right and I was wrong. Either way, I'm not into driving myself crazy with what ifs. 

If Bruce Banner's trick is that he's always angry, then mine for being a Bills fan is that I'm always miserable. In all seriousness, I hope this works out for you because I haven't mastered it yet. 

Rosen was my guy throughout the draft process. I wasn’t happy with the selection of Allen over Rosen. It’s not that I didn’t see Allen’s talent; I feared his floor. Time will tell I guess but I sure hope that I’m wrong. So far I’ve been happy with Allen’s development.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

If Bruce Banner's trick is that he's always angry, then mine for being a Bills fan is that I'm always miserable. In all seriousness, I hope this works out for you because I haven't mastered it yet. 

Hahaha, there was a time when I would've been obsessively following every snap of Rosen's to see if I was really right or wrong. Now, I like to think I have the wisdom to not care. I mean, I can't do anything about it either way, so I might as well focus on something else. If in 2-3 years Rosen is a confirmed star and Allen's a confirmed bust, I probably won't be this mellow, but for now, why worry about it?