Josh Rosen vs Josh Allen: Game 1 Comparison

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

I am glad we drafted Allen over Rosen.  Allen has the right physical attributes and seems to conduct himself perfectly with the coaches, the fans, and the press - even his response to Jalen Ramsey’s “Allen is trash” comment.

I thought he looked great in his debut, and it appears that Allen has been elevated to #2 on the depth chart for Friday’s game against Cleveland - at least, he’s been taking snaps w/the 2nd string this week.

My gut tells me the team is showcasing Peterman for a trade, that Allen will be the starter next week, and against the Ravens week one.

JMO...

19 and 0 baby!!!!!

GO BILLSSS!!!!!!!

WhereTH have you been, Legislator??

Please stop by more often!

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Let’s do this after every pass they threw in practice!!!

They will be linked, along with WAtson and Mahomes.  Let’s hope Allen turns out to be the best.  Personally, I hope they all turn out to be good.  It makes for a better league.  

The Watson vs Mahomes debate won’t last very long.

Pretty good night for Rosen.

Seven thoughts from Friday’s preseason action

4. Adversity is a serious word that gets thrown around far too much in sports. What we should say is on-field adversity, and rookie Cardinals quarterback Josh Rosen overcame plenty of on-field adversity in his first series. He had his second pass of the game tipped at the line and he smartly batted the ball down. The next play, he took a deep drop, stepped up in the pocket and delivered a 14-yard pass on an in route to Chad Williams. Once a defensive pass interference call got the Cardinals inside the 10, left tackle D.J. Humphries jumped offside, Rosen then got away with an intentional grounding on the next play and then he got flagged for a delay of game. Finally, on third-and-goal from the 13, the Saints rushed four and dropped seven into coverage and Rosen hit rookie Christian Kirk at the goal line for the touchdown.

(As an aside: we all saw Rosen’s pre-draft video with Aaron Rodgers and heard how alike they are. I noticed two on-field mannerisms they share, as well. The way Rosen motioned to the referee that his arm was going forward on a fumble [that was really an incomplete pass] and how he dismissively spiked the ball on the delay of game looked just like No. 12 in Green Bay.)

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Pretty good night for Rosen.

Seven thoughts from Friday’s preseason action

4. Adversity is a serious word that gets thrown around far too much in sports. What we should say is on-field adversity, and rookie Cardinals quarterback Josh Rosen overcame plenty of on-field adversity in his first series. He had his second pass of the game tipped at the line and he smartly batted the ball down. The next play, he took a deep drop, stepped up in the pocket and delivered a 14-yard pass on an in route to Chad Williams. Once a defensive pass interference call got the Cardinals inside the 10, left tackle D.J. Humphries jumped offside, Rosen then got away with an intentional grounding on the next play and then he got flagged for a delay of game. Finally, on third-and-goal from the 13, the Saints rushed four and dropped seven into coverage and Rosen hit rookie Christian Kirk at the goal line for the touchdown.

(As an aside: we all saw Rosen’s pre-draft video with Aaron Rodgers and heard how alike they are. I noticed two on-field mannerisms they share, as well. The way Rosen motioned to the referee that his arm was going forward on a fumble [that was really an incomplete pass] and how he dismissively spiked the ball on the delay of game looked just like No. 12 in Green Bay.)

Rosen is by far looking like the best rookie (of pre-season). He makes pre snap reads, smart with the football, super accurate. biggest difference is Allen can extend plays better and is a threat on the run. 

Wow. Rosen looks sharp. Throws a beautiful ball.

All of the top 4 QBs look pretty legit so far. It would be something if it stayed that way.

Still, I'll take our guy. Allen was at the bottom of my list for the draft, but he has sold me. I really enjoy watching him play. He may end up being a little messier than the other guys, but he looks like a baller, and he's super cool in the pocket. That has surprised me. And I love that sense you have with him that something big can happen at any time. I've missed that. That's what I liked about Mahomes too (whom I still like), but Allen seems cooler in the pocket.

How is Josh Allen performing compared to the 2018 QB class?

Derek Kramer @DerekKramerWGR

With the second week of the NFL preseason wrapping up, Bills rookie quarterback Josh Allen has generated plenty of talk, both love and hate from fans and media alike. Allen has provided some great highlights, some nearly completed bombs and one bad looking play in his first game.

But how has Allen played compared to the rest of the rookie class? Much has been made of Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield by the national media, but has Allen measured up? Each first round rookie QB has played two games, let's take a look around the league to see where Allen lies in terms of production:

CARDINALS 20, SAINTS 15

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Arizona Cardinals

It won't ignite a bona fide starting quarterback competition, but Josh Rosen looked much more polished than he did in the preseason opener. Rosen entered the game early in the second quarter with the No. 1 offensive line still in the game, and the better protection enabled the rookie to engineer a seven-play, 87-yard drive that ended in his first NFL touchdown pass. Along the way, Rosen got help from a roughing-the-passer call and also benefited from a 40-yard pass-interference penalty. In the red zone, flags for a false start and delay of game didn't faze Rosen, who on third-and-goal from the Saints' 13 zipped a pass to fellow rookie Christian Kirk for the score. Then Rosen, this time with the No. 2 offensive line, went on to lead a drive for a field goal, and he might have run a successful two-minute drill if not for a missed 46-yard field goal try as time ran out in the first half. In his only quarter of action, Rosen completed 10 of 16 passes for 107 yards and a touchdown, along with a nifty 102.9 rating. It was a big improvement over his performance last week, when the No. 2 line struggled to protect him and had issues snapping him the ball. -- Jose Romero

14 hours ago, Yeezus said:

Rosen is by far looking like the best rookie (of pre-season). He makes pre snap reads, smart with the football, super accurate. biggest difference is Allen can extend plays better and is a threat on the run. 

By far the best? Ha give me a break, he looked good yesterday but crappy in his first game.  Allen looked better both games 

• Like (+1) 2

Rosen got the chance to play with the first team online against mostly second team saints except Teo. Still not overly impressed, and I still think he gets hurt often in the  future. His "breakabilty" is basically on the same level as Bradford.

Rosen was excellent yesterday. He looked every bit what I believe him to be. A bona fide franchise Quarterback. 

Still I am quitely encouraged by Allen so far. 

I still think Rosen will be the best Quarterback in this class but all I care about now is how Allen plays. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rosen was excellent yesterday. He looked every bit what I believe him to be. A bona fide franchise Quarterback. 

Still I am quitely encouraged by Allen so far. 

I still think Rosen will be the best Quarterback in this class but all I care about now is how Allen plays. 

I actually felt Allen looked better than Rosen yesterday and did it with less weapons and a worse OL.  He also looked better week 1 IMO as I felt Rosen was clearly the worst of the big 4 last week. 

Overall I think Allen has had a better preseason than Rosen. In fact, I would say that Baker and Allen have had the strongest preseasons with Darnold and Rosen just behind them.  

All 4 are showing plenty of reasons why they were all chosen in the top 10, so not like there is a big difference.  But honestly can say Baker and Allen have both had a stronger overall preseason so far and were both also better than Rosen both weeks, even with Rosen’s solid week this week.  

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I actually felt Allen looked better than Rosen yesterday and did it with less weapons and a worse OL.  He also looked better week 1 IMO as I felt Rosen was clearly the worst of the big 4 last week. 

Overall I think Allen has had a better preseason than Rosen. In fact, I would say that Baker and Allen have had the strongest preseasons with Darnold and Rosen just behind them.  

All 4 are showing plenty of reasons why they were all chosen in the top 10, so not like there is a big difference.  But honestly can say Baker and Allen have both had a stronger overall preseason so far and were both also better than Rosen both weeks, even with Rosen’s solid week this week.  

I think Rosen looked the best yesterday. His anticipation and ball placement is just different level to the other rookies. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Rosen looked the best yesterday. His anticipation and ball placement is just different level to the other rookies. 

I was more impressed with what Allen did with less in a game where we were dead on offense, not even a single first down before he came in, then he came on and quickly led 3 scoring drives and his TD was incredible pocket awareness and mobility to make that play happen after a blown block.

Not saying Rosen had a bad game, or even that you’re wrong as it’s all subjective, I just personally felt more impressed with Allen in the comparable situations.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was more impressed with what Allen did with less in a game where we were dead on offense, not even a single first down before he came in, then he came on and quickly led 3 scoring drives and his TD was incredible pocket awareness and mobility to make that play happen after a blown block.

Not saying Rosen had a bad game, or even that you’re wrong as it’s all subjective, I just personally felt more impressed with Allen in the comparable situations.

Yea that's cool. I am not saying Allen was not good either. I think Allen has been encouraging there was progress from week 1 which was a bit more look at the wow plays and kind of ignore the rest. I thought he showed increased comfort, increased command and was more efficient moving the ball. 

They are in very different spots too. Rosen has a similar style and proven able NFL starter ahead of him. Allen has two guys competing with him who are not up to it and are not even comparable in playing style terms. 

Josh Rosen shines in Cards' preseason win over Saints

NEW ORLEANS - Quarterback Sam Bradford is the Arizona Cardinals' present as the clear starter.

Bradford made the most of his limited preseason action during Friday night's 20-15 win over the New Orleans Saints, completing 6 of 6 passes for 61 yards for a 109.0 passer rating.

Rookie quarterback Josh Rosen, however, provided a glimpse into the future after replacing Bradford early in the second quarter.

Rosen, whom the Cardinals selected with the 10th overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft, excelled in three offensive series to close out the first half. He completed 10 of 16 passes for 107 yards, including a 13-yard scoring strike to rookie wide receiver Christian Kirk. In total, Rosen engineered two scoring drives on 27 offensive snaps.

"I was very happy with tonight," said Rosen, who finished the night with a 102.9 passer rating. "I think I still have things to work on, I mean, a lot of procedural stuff, just keeping my eye on the play clock, my second delay of game (penalty). A lot of good has come from practice."