Josh Rosen vs Josh Allen: Game 1 Comparison

5 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Yes, all 4. Rosen was impressive, along with the other 3. His supporting cast did him no favors, he read the field well excepting the one glaring error, and had some very nice throws. 

We must have watched different games, I did not leave that game impressed with that performance.  

6 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Haha. Please continue with the “fake narrative” catch-phrase; unfortunately it doesn’t help with your reading comprehension. I said the shoulder width of a 12yr old, not height. I’ll spell it out for you:  he’s built like a flagpole. 

873074544-arizona-state-v-ucla.jpg.jpg&

Know who also has sloped shoulders like Rosen? Peyton Manning. Go ahead and take a look at peyton without pads.

you’re simultaneously making no point while making yourself look like a foolish hater.

Edited by JoPar_v2

10 hours ago, bobobonators said:

How is my narrative “fake”. Its a guess of what will happen. Much like 99.9% of the content on this board. It also happens to be an educated guess considering he has the shoulder width of a 12yr old boy. 

I dunno about "fake" but the OP you're responding to is making the point that:

-Other QB than Rosen have a significant injury history

-eg: Allen breaking shoulder in HS then re-breaking in college requiring plate and pins, losing season - and reinjuring last season

-Mayfield 2 concussions in a short period of time in 2016

The point is to assert that Rosen will break in half or is somehow more "injury prone" because of his looks, belies this actual injury history

It's like everyone was talking about how TT was going to get broken because he "looks slight" and runs so much (vs the "thicker" Russ Wilson).  But in 3 seasons, TT lost very little time and was generally tough as nails.

So let's stop crafting narratives about how "Rosen has the shoulder width of a 12 year old boy" (he does not) and thus is so much more likely to be hurt.  He may prove durable, he may not, but you can't tell by looking at him.

We hope Josh Allen will prove durable, but given his shoulder injury history, it's a concern and looking Roeth-like isn't a "free pass" to avoid injury.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Bad snaps are understated. They need to teach whoever is Center how to snap the ball higher. Rosen almost had to dig it out of the ground 5 or 6 times.

This was an issue for Allen as well.  Redmond's snaps were SLOW.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought Mayfield and Allen were 1 and 2. I love Allen's pocket presence, his ability to move in the pocket, his running ability, his ability to throw on the run, and his ability to keep his eyes downfield while scrambling. And of course his rifle arm.

I am really excited to see what he is going to do.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I thought Mayfield and Allen were 1 and 2. I love Allen's pocket presence, his ability to move in the pocket, his running ability, his ability to throw on the run, and his ability to keep his eyes downfield while scrambling. And of course his rifle arm.

I liked what I saw from Allen and Mayfield both too.  Decisive, processed information quickly and made good decisions.    

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I liked what I saw from Allen and Mayfield both too.  Decisive, processed information quickly and made good decisions.    

Clearly there is some room for improvement for Allen, but it was an impressive first outing.

• Like (+1) 1

Although Allens arm strength is apparent his inconsistency from being a rookie was also apparent although that could have been attributed to being protected by the 3rd string o line .

I would like to se them start AJ in the next game & give Allen time in the second half with the 2nd team then in the 3rd game start Allen in the 1st quarter & who ever is the front runner for the starting job in the second .

I hope that they bring Allen along slowly & don't throw him into he fire like the Bills have done so often in the past with most all of the rookie QB's that they have drafted .

Losman, EJ, Trent, I think Allen has a above average chance of being a really good QB i just hope that this coaching staff does things differently (which they have to this point) than the previous staffs that they have had to allow hime to grow within the scheme & game !! 

12 hours ago, CowboyBill said:

They have quit on plays like that their whole life. They’ve probably never played with a QB that could scramble and still overthrow them. It takes time to break bad habits. Same with Allen, he has typically been able to get away with some boneheaded plays because he hasn’t played against a lot of great defenders. Give them time, they’ve only been practicing together for a few weeks. 

As a former receiver, we were taught in jr. high not to give up on a play until the whistle blew. It has nothing to do with practicing together. Allens receivers in his last year at Wyoming would always give up on plays. It would piss me off to no end. In his sophomore year the reason he did so well on broken plays is because he had experienced receivers. I don't know if the receivers coach dropped the ball or just didn't coach it. But for some reason the receivers the year before knew what to do. It is one of the basic rules od a receiver. Run hard, or away from defenders on a broken play. We had it where one always ran back towards the qb, while the others went to open space. Preferably side to side as most qb's don't have the arm strength to throw it deep on the run. With an arm like Allens I wouldn't bother with one coming back towards the qb. I also played at the college level, although not division 1. They also taught not giving up on a play, you blocked if you thought he was running, kept trying to get open if he looked like he could throw. The best teams out there have great receiver blocking. And receiveers at the pro level should never quit on a play, especially if they are trying to catch on with a team. I would have cut anyone who hasn't figured out to never quit on a play. And others obviously agree with that on here.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about "fake" but the OP you're responding to is making the point that:

-Other QB than Rosen have a significant injury history

-eg: Allen breaking shoulder in HS then re-breaking in college requiring plate and pins, losing season - and reinjuring last season

-Mayfield 2 concussions in a short period of time in 2016

The point is to assert that Rosen will break in half or is somehow more "injury prone" because of his looks, belies this actual injury history

It's like everyone was talking about how TT was going to get broken because he "looks slight" and runs so much (vs the "thicker" Russ Wilson).  But in 3 seasons, TT lost very little time and was generally tough as nails.

So let's stop crafting narratives about how "Rosen has the shoulder width of a 12 year old boy" (he does not) and thus is so much more likely to be hurt.  He may prove durable, he may not, but you can't tell by looking at him.

We hope Josh Allen will prove durable, but given his shoulder injury history, it's a concern and looking Roeth-like isn't a "free pass" to avoid injury.

Do you know the shoulder injury Allen had last year? It was a soft tissue injury. It happened on a flea flicker . He was in the process of throwing the ball when a defender hit and stretched the arm. The staff held him out of 2 and a half games as cautionary. So as not to ruin his career. He was on the sideline throwing bombs before for the Fresno State and SJSU games. If he was that injured, I don't think he would be warming up throwing deep passes before those two games. I was there for the Fresno game and saw it with my own 2 eyes. I really didn't think he would play in the bowl game to be honest. But it shows you his character that he did. He didn't want to let down his coaches, fans, and teammates. And he played in all 4 quarters of the bowl game, even though the outcome was already decided. Plus Vigen went back to his conservative play calling the 2nd half. In other words Allen went back to handing the ball off unless it was 3rd and long.

3 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

Do you know the shoulder injury Allen had last year? It was a soft tissue injury. It happened on a flea flicker . He was in the process of throwing the ball when a defender hit and stretched the arm. The staff held him out of 2 and a half games as cautionary. So as not to ruin his career. He was on the sideline throwing bombs before for the Fresno State and SJSU games. If he was that injured, I don't think he would be warming up throwing deep passes before those two games. I was there for the Fresno game and saw it with my own 2 eyes. I really didn't think he would play in the bowl game to be honest. But it shows you his character that he did. He didn't want to let down his coaches, fans, and teammates. And he played in all 4 quarters of the bowl game, even though the outcome was already decided. Plus Vigen went back to his conservative play calling the 2nd half. In other words Allen went back to handing the ball off unless it was 3rd and long.

Did he have a prior injury to that one that required plates/pins as well like Hapless said?

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Allen, as our other two quarterback's have shown, gets the ball away quickly.  What a change from Taylor and Manuel.

wowzers ....  Nice comparison 

On 8/12/2018 at 2:10 AM, BuffaloButt said:

Josh Rosen Gm 1 Stats:

6-13 41 yds 0 TD, 0 Int

Josh Allen Gm 1 Stats:

9-19 116 yds 1 TD, 0 Int

Initial impression is Rosen looked like an average rookie, nothing special about his game.  He looks a little frail for a QB especially compared to Allen.

I'm feeling a little better after seeing these two play part of a game.  I think the Bills made the right choice in the draft but I was originally thinking they were going for Rosen.

Josh Allen while inaccurate on some plays, just seems to have the physical gifts that really stand out over Rosen.  Time will tell but I can see why the Bills are hopeful with Allen based on his physical stature and how he fires the ball.  Let's hope he develops into our guy of the future!  

Go Bills!!

Josh Rosen completed 6 of 13 passes for 41 yards in his Arizona debut, playing the whole first half after the opening series

Josh Allen completed 9 of 19 passes for 116 yards his Buffalo Bills debut, playing the whole second half

On 8/12/2018 at 12:02 AM, Patriot Killa said:

I think Rosen already has a really crummy 1st unit Offensive Line and so playing behind the 2nd/3rd units probably was even that much worse. Pressure came in, WR’s dropped balls. It looked like he was playing at UCLA all over again tbh. 

Rosen didn’t look terrible and I definitely wouldn’t say he looked great...but then again I’m also definitely not writing a rookie’s career in stone or predicting who will be the best after 2 quarters of preseason football....that’s not fair to anyone involved. 

I honestly can’t even make an assessment off of any of these guys yet but I can confidently say that none of them looked lost...and that’s a hell of a lot better than most rookies I see play QB in preseason week 1. 

I know all of our teams have brand new toys we want to show off and brag about..but it’s not the time yet. I had to take a step back from Darnolds solid performance and take into consideration the circumstances. “Just preseason”

I won’t be able to even gauge this until the bye week, until then I’m just going to enjoy the QB play.

Comparing what is able to be compared at this point, I completely agree.

There will always be "way too early" assessments of players, which is about all NFL fans can do up to and through the preseason. But even with the lack of efficacious evaluative data and experience for these rookies aside, most are not currently playing with or receiving consistent reps with first team players, nor are OC's or coaches calling plays from the full playbook in games that don't matter. The only traits we can even begin to see and evaluate in these first four games are how well they synthesized the concepts/playbook as they've been exposed to it thus far, and how have they progressed over the preseason. This is still dependent on consistency of reps and players on the field in game time experiences as well. None of this is a barometer for what the actual season will be.

So rather than purely speculate using third generation observations/reports/opinions from "experts," we might as well do exactly as you mention and "enjoy the quarterback play." Let's just continue watching some fun and not so fun trailers before the feature presentation...