Josh Rosen vs Josh Allen: Game 1 Comparison

Josh Rosen Gm 1 Stats:

6-13 41 yds 0 TD, 0 Int

Josh Allen Gm 1 Stats:

9-19 116 yds 1 TD, 0 Int

Initial impression is Rosen looked like an average rookie, nothing special about his game.  He looks a little frail for a QB especially compared to Allen.

I'm feeling a little better after seeing these two play part of a game.  I think the Bills made the right choice in the draft but I was originally thinking they were going for Rosen.

Josh Allen while inaccurate on some plays, just seems to have the physical gifts that really stand out over Rosen.  Time will tell but I can see why the Bills are hopeful with Allen based on his physical stature and how he fires the ball.  Let's hope he develops into our guy of the future!  

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 9
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

Josh Rosen Gm 1 Stats:

6-13 41 yds 0 TD, 0 Int

Josh Allen Gm 1 Stats:

9-19 116 yds 1 TD, 0 Int

Initial impression is Rosen looked like an average rookie, nothing special about his game.  He looks a little frail for a QB especially compared to Allen.

I'm feeling a little better after seeing these two play part of a game.  I think the Bills made the right choice in the draft but I was originally thinking they were going for Rosen.

Josh Allen while inaccurate on some plays, just seems to have the physical gifts that really stand out over Rosen.  Time will tell but I can see why the Bills are hopeful with Allen based on his physical stature and how he fires the ball.  Let's hope he develops into our guy of the future!  

Go Bills!!

Dude, Allen was the best QB in the draft. Darnold is a close second. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly, I was impressed by all of the top four quarterbacks' debuts. I think it's going to be a special draft class. I'm not sure who will separate themselves, despite the wild hyperbole on here, but it will be fascinating to watch. God I hope it's Allen. Loved his pocket presence, demeanor, and conviction with throws. Like others have said man do I have to see him without the 3s. Rosen also played his game well, save for one truly bad read. 

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 9

8 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Honestly, I was impressed by all of the top four quarterbacks' debuts. I think it's going to be a special draft class. I'm not sure who will separate themselves, despite the wild hyperbole on here, but it will be fascinating to watch. God I hope it's Allen. Loved his pocket presence, demeanor, and conviction with throws. Like others have said man do I have to see him without the 3s. Rosen also played his game well, save for one truly bad read. 

Agreed.  Also, Chad Kelly and Kyle Slotter looked good.  Exciting to see some possible new blood excel at QB in the NFL.  Watson, Mahomes, Wentz, etc. too.

• Like (+1) 2

After watching Rosen’s passing downs, it’s probably prudent to point out that the Cardinals’ offensive line in pass protection was atrocious. For instance, Rosen was blasted in the face up the middle on his first completion. OP decided not to mention this, but since Allen’s misses were excused away by many here as due to poor protection, I think it’s appropriate to mention.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I think Rosen already has a really crummy 1st unit Offensive Line and so playing behind the 2nd/3rd units probably was even that much worse. Pressure came in, WR’s dropped balls. It looked like he was playing at UCLA all over again tbh. 

Rosen didn’t look terrible and I definitely wouldn’t say he looked great...but then again I’m also definitely not writing a rookie’s career in stone or predicting who will be the best after 2 quarters of preseason football....that’s not fair to anyone involved. 

I honestly can’t even make an assessment off of any of these guys yet but I can confidently say that none of them looked lost...and that’s a hell of a lot better than most rookies I see play QB in preseason week 1. 

I know all of our teams have brand new toys we want to show off and brag about..but it’s not the time yet. I had to take a step back from Darnolds solid performance and take into consideration the circumstances. “Just preseason”

I won’t be able to even gauge this until the bye week, until then I’m just going to enjoy the QB play.

Edited by Patriot Killa
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It was a mixed bag for Rosen like Allen.  He threw some really nice balls and made one nearly fatal (pick 6) error.  Little could've had that back shoulder throw near the sidelines near the end of the half.  What was up with the snapper?  Only time will tell, but I'm happy Rosen's in the NFC.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It looked like Rosen was a bit flustered for a moment, resulting in the delay of game. He made some great throws, though. Took some hits and didn't break in half, much to the surprise of many here...

OP called him “frail” and I assumed he got wrecked and knocked out of the game. Nothing of the sort happened. In fact, he took what looked like a vicious hit and bounced right back up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

After watching Rosen’s passing downs, it’s probably prudent to point out that the Cardinals’ offensive line in pass protection was atrocious. For instance, Rosen was blasted in the face up the middle on his first completion. OP decided not to mention this, but since Allen’s misses were excused away by many here as due to poor protection, I think it’s appropriate to mention.

A question I had going into the draft is how Rosen would fair with a weaker supporting cast than he had at UCLA. How many UCLA players got drafted? 7? 8? Josh Allen had nobody at WYO and he did great with nobodies, that's the difference.

Wait until Allen has McCoy and Benjamin, they are 1,000x better than anything he's ever had.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

OP called him “frail” and I assumed he got wrecked and knocked out of the game. Nothing of the sort happened. In fact, he took what looked like a vicious hit and bounced right back up.

He looked frail to me.  Looking frail doesn’t mean that he got hurt.  Not sure why you assume that.  That’s on you.  He looked frail to me.  Weak.  Skinny. I’m sure he’ll get bigger and stronger with time, but I don’t trust him lasting 16 games.  I wanted Rosen and I think he’s going to be a helluva qb, but I’m just happy that we drafted Allen at this point.  He really looked the part in one half of preseason football with 3rd stringers.  His arm obviously being the strongest asset but his feet were really impressive.  His ability to get out of trouble, throw on the run or tuck and run will be a huge difference maker going forward.  It could also get him killed, but I’d rather have that than a qb that just doesn’t have the ability to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He looked frail to me.  Looking frail doesn’t mean that he got hurt.  Not sure why you assume that.  That’s on you.  He looked frail to me.  Weak.  Skinny. I’m sure he’ll get bigger and stronger with time, but I don’t trust him lasting 16 games.  I wanted Rosen and I think he’s going to be a helluva qb, but I’m just happy that we drafted Allen at this point.  He really looked the part in one half of preseason football with 3rd stringers.  His arm obviously being the strongest asset but his feet were really impressive.  His ability to get out of trouble, throw on the run or tuck and run will be a huge difference maker going forward.  It could also get him killed, but I’d rather have that than a qb that just doesn’t have the ability to do so.

I liked what I saw out of Allen as well - he looked further along than I expected.

Semantics I know, but “frail” to me implies someone who’s easily broken, injured. Rosen took a few serious shots that did not seem to faze him at all. If by frail you mean slight or skinny, then sure, I completely agree - Rosen’s frame isn’t wowing anyone and all other things being equal, I’d rather have a QB that looks like Allen physically. 

Injury potential is tough to predict - players of all sizes get seriously hurt in the NFL. 

21 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

A question I had going into the draft is how Rosen would fair with a weaker supporting cast than he had at UCLA. How many UCLA players got drafted? 7? 8? Josh Allen had nobody at WYO and he did great with nobodies, that's the difference.

Wait until Allen has McCoy and Benjamin, they are 1,000x better than anything he's ever had.

I believe 5 were drafted this year, and 3 of those were day 3 picks. UCLA was a bad Pac-12 team last year. I think you’re overstating things. And whether Allen was “great” at Wyoming is up for debate.

• Like (+1) 1

The Cards had the 31st ranked offensive line last season and it doesn't look like much changed. It sadly makes me feel a whole lot better about the Bills line. I knew this post would be here somehow lol. You're also comparing them in a glorified practice where one of them played against a starting defense and the other didn't. I know it won't happen, but can we just slow it down and wait for either of them to actually play a regular game?

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Wyoming had a RB and C drafted in 2017. On top of that he had a WR and TE that now play in the NFL from his Junior year. It's not like he played in a powerhouse conference, so I think that's pretty impressive to have 4 guys in the NFL from one year. If you don't think that the WRs in Arizona are better than the UCLA ones you're crazy. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Josh Rosen Gm 1 Stats:

6-13 41 yds 0 TD, 0 Int

Josh Allen Gm 1 Stats:

9-19 116 yds 1 TD, 0 Int

Go Bills!!

I recently saw a photo of the top QBs of the draft sitting in chairs in a half circle for some show.  They were in t-shirts and shorts.  Rosen and Darnold both have skinny legs while Allen and L. Jackson looked solid.  Rosen also has narrow shoulders while Allen was the thickest.  In the photo, Darnold looks puny compared to the others. 

10 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I recently saw a photo of the top QBs of the draft sitting in chairs in a half circle for some show.  They were in t-shirts and shorts.  Rosen and Darnold both have skinny legs while Allen and L. Jackson looked solid.  Rosen also has narrow shoulders while Allen was the thickest.  In the photo, Darnold looks puny compared to the others. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not sure where you see narrow shoulders. 6'4 226 is not a small guy. I think people are buying into this small Rosen crap a little too much to try and sell Allen. Allen is our QB and I will root for him, but the Hero Worship is getting pretty ridiculous.