Do we need to go after a fairly proven deep threat?

14 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

With Coleman's injury history and limited book of work, and not even one semi-proven deep threat behind him, I'm sure that some teams have a surplus of speed.

Not saying they are the answer, but someone like Mike Wallace, Desean Jackson, Maclin...

Phillip Dorsett, been banging the drum for a while. Not a lock to make the NE roster.

Would be over the moon if Gilislee or Dorestt become FA's and Buffalo scooped them up.

If Allen is going to play this year, I think we need another speed guy at WR.  

Coleman is that guy but hasn’t made it through a season healthy.  

KB is big time but not a speed guy.  Zay and Kerley are slot guys.  Holmes is special teams/red zone threat.  

Lots of potential in this unit, but Allen’s best weapon is neutralized a bit if Coleman goes down.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Sammy Watkins is considered a speedy deep threat. Zay ran the same 40 time, so should Zay be considered a deep threat?

Good question.

No.

It's about the ability to track and secure the ball without having to slow or stop your feet.

Watkins is brilliantly hand-eye-foot coordinated and that's why he is lethal on the deep ball despite lacking 4.3 speed.

No wasted motion and not having to slam on "air brakes" to use your arms means a lot more than a couple tenths of a second in that circumstance.

Zay is HORRENDOUS downfield.    That jump and miss on the Tyrod pass in Atlanta was as bad as you will see an NFL PLAYER.......let alone NFL RECEIVER.......track a deep ball.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, CowboyBill said:

I would say pass on the WRs and get offensive linemen. Give Allen some time in the pocket because he can throw it anywhere on the field. If a defense has to worry about a great RB, a moble QB and defend the entire field, there are going to be some huge holes 25-30 yards downfield. I know 60 yard bombs get cheeks out of seats but so do 2 30 yard bombs with YAC. 

I get your point, and agree with you. But I think the O-line 1 and OL 2 aquitted themselves admirably in the last game. Allen was behind the 3's which was bad.

Put Allen behind the 1's or 2's and I think it's ok. Bodine, Teller and Ike are no bums.

With KB, Jones, Kerley, Reilly, Holmes this team has a lot of possession WRs. They need a burner to match the arm.

I'm still hopeful one will merge from Coleman, Streater, Foster or Dupre.

Ray Ray is in a class of his own. After PG1 I love this kid.

The completion percentage for deep balls is so low. A good play action 30 yard crossing route, where the safety has been cleared out is so much easier and has much higher higher completion percentage. How exciting would it be for a RB to know that the D can no longer stack the box. Once he gets through the first line, there is no one there. 

8 minutes ago, CowboyBill said:

The completion percentage for deep balls is so low. A good play action 30 yard crossing route, where the safety has been cleared out is so much easier and has much higher higher completion percentage. How exciting would it be for a RB to know that the D can no longer stack the box. Once he gets through the first line, there is no one there. 

....and NONE of our WR's knew what the hell that meant or where it was yesteryear.......gotta love the "6 yd post patterns".....

17 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Phillip Dorsett, been banging the drum for a while. Not a lock to make the NE roster.

Would be over the moon if Gilislee or Dorestt become FA's and Buffalo scooped them up.

The Bills don't need either. They have younger, cheaper and probably better versions of both. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Allen is going to play this year, I think we need another speed guy at WR.  

Coleman is that guy but hasn’t made it through a season healthy.  

KB is big time but not a speed guy.  Zay and Kerley are slot guys.  Holmes is special teams/red zone threat.  

Lots of potential in this unit, but Allen’s best weapon is neutralized a bit if Coleman goes down.  

great post, I agree 100% with you.

The issue is that our 3 QBs are very different and need different types of WRs and TE's to be successful.

Peterman is a quick strike guy. He needs a guy open in tight spaces. KB and Kerley do that well. Z Jones is supposed to be that guy. Clay is good, but Croom and Lee have done well here too. Reilly fits here.

AJM is a middle of the road guy. Needs a balanced approach. KB, Clay, Kerley, Reilly are good fits as possession WR. Maybe he can get Coleman open deep. At TE Clay is solid here, as is O'Leary and Thomas who blocked like a mad man last game.

Allen needs a burner. A Goodwin type burner. Coleman, Streater, Dupre, Foster all become more important. Clay is still TE1, but Croom and maybe Lee fit in more here. Pass attack first with Allen.

The cuts will be interesting this year at WR and TE. Croom and Lee made big catches, and Thomas was a blocking machine. Ray Ray looked amazing. Dupre and Proehl looked bad in PG1.

I don't think the cupboard is bare, I think WR and TE need to be paired down to the type of offense Daboll wants to run with a known QB.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

Coleman broke his hand 2x's.. not exactly an injury prone concern, just unfortunate luck.

I am not worried about his injury history, more so about his ability to play the position at the NFL level and understand and execute Daboll's system. 

That being said.. McDermott and Beane are demonstrating the ability to find hidden gems and getting those players to play at a high level. 

At this point I don't see the bills going out of their way to find a 2nd speed guy.. Daboll will create mismatches for our 4.5 -> 5.0 guys so we don't need a bunch of 4.3 guys IMO, and then there is this whole debate about football speed vs timed speed.

Edited by ddaryl

36 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Dorsett and Coleman are pretty similar players physically.

You would hopefully be increasing your odds of finding one who could handle Allen's throws by having two of them.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

great post, I agree 100% with you.

The issue is that our 3 QBs are very different and need different types of WRs and TE's to be successful.

Peterman is a quick strike guy. He needs a guy open in tight spaces. KB and Kerley do that well. Z Jones is supposed to be that guy. Clay is good, but Croom and Lee have done well here too. Reilly fits here.

AJM is a middle of the road guy. Needs a balanced approach. KB, Clay, Kerley, Reilly are good fits as possession WR. Maybe he can get Coleman open deep. At TE Clay is solid here, as is O'Leary and Thomas who blocked like a mad man last game.

Allen needs a burner. A Goodwin type burner. Coleman, Streater, Dupre, Foster all become more important. Clay is still TE1, but Croom and maybe Lee fit in more here. Pass attack first with Allen.

The cuts will be interesting this year at WR and TE. Croom and Lee made big catches, and Thomas was a blocking machine. Ray Ray looked amazing. Dupre and Proehl looked bad in PG1.

I don't think the cupboard is bare, I think WR and TE need to be paired down to the type of offense Daboll wants to run with a known QB.

Agreed. 

KB, Coleman, Kerley, Zay and Holmes all seem like locks.  

I’d love to see another pickup of a speed guy.  Grab the fastest WR off cuts or seek another small trade, if possible, to add to that group.  That gives us a nice blend of size, speed and possession guys. 

Edited by SCBills

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills don't need either. They have younger, cheaper and probably better versions of both. 

OK, let's talk.

Are Taiwan Jones or T Cadet better? They are both vets on vet contracts. Are they better than Gilislee? Gilislee is one of the best one cut RBs in the league. He is not fancy, but is effective. Great depth. Gilislee knocks out Jones and Cadet in one fell swoop. Now RB1 is McCoy, RB2 is Gilislee, RB3 is Ivory, RB4 is Murphy. I'll take that RB room any day.

I like Murphy a lot, I think he has real potential as a RB3 or RB4. But Gilisee is a better known performer and a better RB2 than Ivory at this point, and I like Ivory as a player.

As for Dorestt, how much is his contract if cut? He has speed, did well with a healthy Luck. I think Dorsett is a late cut/ add to be a WR5 WR6 or so and adds speed to a weak deep speed WR corps. That helps Allen and McCarron.

7 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Coleman broke his hand 2x's.. not exactly an injury prone concern, just unfortunate luck.

I am not worried about his injury history, more so about his ability to play the position at the NFL level and understand and execute Daboll's system. 

That being said.. McDermott and Beane are demonstrating the ability to find hidden gems and getting those players to play at a high level. 

At this point I don't see the bills going out of their way to find a 2nd speed guy.. Daboll will create mismatches for our 4.5 -> 5.0 guys so we don't need a bunch of 4.3 guys IMO, and then there is this whole debate about football speed vs timed speed.

This is exactly why a Phillip Dorsett type guy fits in, IMO.

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dorsett and Coleman are pretty similar players physically.

You would hopefully be increasing your odds of finding one who could handle Allen's throws by having two of them.

Exactly the point. Colman (broken hands) and Dorestt (underwhelming after Luck) are both long shots. But let's have some competition if available. Allen needs a deep threat, so did Tyrod to be fair.

2 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I'm betting one of the Bills WR starters is not even on the roster....yet.  There will be lots of good WRs cut.  Same with OL.

Highly doubtful with not enough good players at either position in the entire league. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Highly doubtful with not enough good players at either position in the entire league. 

I think there could be actually.  Guys like Dorsett, Perriman, Seth Roberts etc have all been rumored cuts at some point over the summer.  

Coleman was going to be a possible cut if we didn’t trade for him. 

Jets seemed to have 10 skilled tight ends in PG1.  If we cut Thomas or Croom, I’m sure other teams wouldn’t mind bringing one of them in.  

We’re not looking for a stud.  We just need a speed guy to compete/pair with Coleman.  We were able to find a Deonta Thompson off the trash heap last year. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

I think their could be actually.  Guys like Dorsett, Perriman, Seth Roberts etc have been rumored cuts.  

Coleman was going to be a possibly cut if we didn’t trade for him. 

Jets seemed to have 10 skilled tight ends in PG1.  If we cut Thomas or Croom, I’m sure other teams wouldn’t mind bringing one of them in.  

We’re not looking for a stud.  We just need a speed guy to compete/pair with Coleman.  We were able to find a Deonta Thompson off the trash heap last year. 

Like I already said: "Highly doubtful with not enough good players."