National Josh Allen buzz after 1 preseason half

32 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I could start with Khari Lee for a long pass ... that's just off the top of my head.

I'll refer you to a post from the last page where I responded directly to play:

22 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Really? 

I'll respectfully disagree. That was just a spectacular throw by Allen.  Another poster said that the throw looked "ill-advised" when he threw it--and it did look that way--except for the fact that Allen escaped pressure and threw the ball about as accurately as he could have to Lee 40 yards in the air while going backwards off his back foot.  It didn't look like a pass that should have been thrown, except that it was an extremely accurate pass.

Like I said, Lee had great awareness because of the body he put into the defender so he had the space to catch the ball.  That part of the process of the catch was fantastic.  The catch was a pretty standard NFL catch.

33 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Again - it's double coverage he's throwing into and if they are NFL starters there's a real good likelihood it's a pick. The correct pass there is to the halfback coming out of the backfield who is open for a first down. And it's not like that read is a difficult one; there's no baiting going on there.

Does he have a rocket? No doubt. Was the pass great? Sure. There's a lot to be excited about but that was a dangerous play right out of the box in a touchdown situation and it's an extension of the hero complex. It comes from the same place in his head where the 4th/2 and the pass to Khari Lee comes from. That's all I'm saying.

This tells me you clearly didn't watch the breakdown.

Allen actually looked off the up front defender enough to get him to hesitate so that Allen could fit that ball in that window.  That had nothing to do with NFL starter vs. NFL backup because NFL starters are affected by QBs looking off defenders, as well.  Yeah, the middle read in the EZ was open, as well. And it would have been an easier pass, for sure.

But again, the video breakdown that you watch gives an explanation for this, as well.

17 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This tells me you clearly didn't watch the breakdown.

Allen actually looked off the up front defender enough to get him to hesitate so that Allen could fit that ball in that window.  That had nothing to do with NFL starter vs. NFL backup because NFL starters are affected by QBs looking off defenders, as well.  Yeah, the middle read in the EZ was open, as well. And it would have been an easier pass, for sure.

But again, the video breakdown that you watch gives an explanation for this, as well.

No - I watched the breakdown. I wonder ... did you watch all of it, including the part where he went to great pains to point out what a great catch that was by Khari Lee? I'm sure you did, the question was rhetoric.

Yes. He looked off the front defender - whether NFL starters are easily bluffed as guys playing in the last 90 seconds of the first TC game I think is something you'd have a hard time getting anyone else believing. It's not like the front defender was breaking on the upfront guy - or that he was terribly out of position. The reason that pass gets completed is solely because of Allen's arm. 

You want to tell me how great he is? Point out that simply terrific pass to Ray Ray crossing over the middle. That linebacker will be telling his kids for years about how fast that ball zipped by his ear. It was a superb read and performance.

Cheers and let's hope tonight goes well. But no matter the outcome, Josh Allen showed me exactly who is. He still is a hero and he won't stop being one. I've said it many times - be comfortable with that 4th & 2, because that's who he is and if you are lucky, you'll get that for 15 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/15/2018 at 6:07 PM, BB@Shooter said:

Look at Allens winning percentage on a rebuilding team. Allen is a winner, stats are for people who don't know how to play the game. Allen does the big and little things to win games, get used to it. He could go 1 for 50, and if he wins I don't care. That is one thing people don't understand about sports. To win all you have to do is score 1 point more than the other team. I could care less if the Bills win ugly, as long as they win. And trust me, Allen won some ugly games at Wyoming. Allen is a winner, and it will only get better.

I feel like you think I'm trying to convince others Allen is bad, or that I have a personal dislike for him.

I don't.

"Stats are for people who don't know how to play the game."  Really? You want to go there? Nvm...I'm not going to get into how wrong that is other than saying that stats DO matter. Yes, they're not the entire picture, and no, stats don't automatically = winning. But there's a HUGE correlation between good/great players & good/great stats, which further correlate to more wins. Just as the opposite can be said, poor/mediocre stats correlate with poor/mediocre players, and less wins.