National Josh Allen buzz after 1 preseason half

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...HAS to be.....practicing with the 3's and in his first pre-season game certainly provides a significant body of work to assess his ceiling....I'm thinking he probably doesn't survive the first cuts and McBeane gets fired for the wasted pick....

You are getting more sarcastic with age. I like it.

Allen has the best arm in a Bills uniform since Lamonica. Let's hope it turns out better for us this time :)

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I understand that. I said that Wyoming didn’t do Allen any favors... except get him ready for the pro game because he ran a heavy dose of pro styled offense

last year he had talent on offense. (WR, RB, TE, Cmade practice squads in NFL )and he was better but still needs to be more consistent 

Surround Allen with Brown and Bell a year or two from now. Can you see it?

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

How is Wyoming playing out of there class?Just asking?

they play in the mountain west conference... a perfect sized conference for them because it’s not power 5... unless you think they should be relegated to FCS

Wyoming is not out of their class in the MWC. It was when they played Oregon, Nebraska, and Iowa. When you take the Power 5 teams that Wyoming played out of the equation, Allen was very successful and won a lot of games just because of his will power. When Allen didn’t play the last couple of games, even with the conferences best defense, they still lost to San Jose State, who hadn’t won a game all year. Without Allen, Wyoming would have lost every game last year. The defense was great, but can’t win if the offense can’t score touchdowns. 

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

You are getting more sarcastic with age. I like it.

Allen has the best arm in a Bills uniform since Lamonica. Let's hope it turns out better for us this time :)

...LOL...CERTAINLY do NOT mean to offend anyone...but some of this stuff is WELL BEYOND "over the top".......and kudos to the "Mad Bomber".....he's only 73...should we bring him in??...:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Props for posting all this in one easy to view post. Really appreciate it.

I'm glad some people are enjoying watching him, as am I. I'm still not confident in his prospects with our team the way it is, but doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy when he does well. Either way, just happy to know at the end of the season I'll have something to look forward to. Whether we're in the playoff hunt for the 2nd year in a row (extremely unlikely), or Allen gets thrown in as the starter since the season's lost, it'll give us all a great reason to stay engaged.

Well there is Sam Darnold and his 5 to 10 yard throws to uncovered receivers to watch this week.

Edited by John from Riverside

2 hours ago, yungmack said:

What do you mean "we"? Other than showing he has a Jeff George arm and was inaccurate with it, I didn't see anything to change my opinion that McBeane made a huge mistake paying what they did for this kid. If winning the SB is the goal, the record shows that none of the dominant QBs - Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman, Brady - were big arms. But it's early, and I'm hoping against hope he turns out to be "The One."

The 3rd string talent he was surrounded with in his first NFL preseason game was about what he played with at Wyoming in his last season there. Everyone who had touched the ball the previous year was gone and what he had to deal with were rookies. He took that team of rookies to an 8-3 record while winning their bowl game.

The Bills coaches must have thought he played well enough as they rewarded Allen with some reps with the first string in Friday's practice. 

There is no question that the kid needs more playing experience as it showed Thurs night. What was also shown is that he has an arm as good as it gets and the Jeff George reference comparing the arms is the only thing comparable between those two...Allen's arm is stronger.

My take is it won't take much time before most every Bills fan will love this kid. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Don't play him until we're forced to. 

I think we’re on the same page, but I’d phrase it “Don’t play him before he’s ready”. I think that’s the way the staff sees it too, so that’s comforting. Be cautious and give him time for things to slow down. I would like to see him some with the 1’s and 2’s as it was hard to tell considering the talent (or lack thereof) surrounding him. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, eball said:

I really wonder what Daboll and McD are thinking after they reviewed the game tape.  Does Josh get a few more reps with the ones since he flashed his ability to make eye-opening plays and didn't show any signs that the big stage was too much for him?  Even the postgame comments from teammates were somewhat telling -- they are also in awe of his talent.

If the coaches aren't afraid Josh will make big mistakes to lose games, there's really no justification for not playing him when you consider his ability to make huge plays that the other two QBs simply aren't capable of making.  I suppose it also comes down to the coaches being confident that Josh can "move the sticks" even when the big play isn't there.

McD was right yesterday when he said his job just got tougher.

Well reasoned.

11 hours ago, RichardLee said:

Yeah, the guys was impressive and showed so much promise that we really have a lot to be excited about.  I think Beane and McDermott are absolutely spot on in letting him grow, build his skills and confidence, develop chemistry with his receivers, and then maybe get him a big time stud No. 1 receiver FA or next draft around.  I wouldn't even be upset if they took their time and Josh Allen didn't become the starter until later this year or even next year. 

Excited about our QB?  Wow, that's a change and I'm loving it!

Next draft needs to focus on more O-line talent. Just keep building up that wall around Josh.

4 hours ago, CowboyBill said:

The crazy thing about this whole Allen story is, Firebough knew what they had in Allen and they couldn’t give him away. He fell into Wyoming’s lap after their first choice got a P5  offer. Everybody crapped all over him the second Mel Kiper mentioned his name. The thought was he could never succeed in the NFL because he didn’t play for a power conference. Wyoming knew what they had though. The Bills fans now see what he is and can become but most people still think he is trash. He’s just going to have to prove himself once again. The kid has not been handed an ounce of credit besides from his coaches, his teammates, and his teams fans who will look past some coachable flaws.

I had never been a Bills fan before the draft, but I am a huge Josh Allen fan and am now a Bills fan because he was my guy at Wyoming. The way JA plays will win you over. He’s going to make dumb mistakes and at times you’re just going to say “what the hell was that” but you’ll use that same phrase when he does something no other person can physically do. I created an account here at TBD right after the draft and it has been funny to see how the tides are shifting from negative JA to I NEED more JA in my life. If he doesn’t start week one, then his last preseason game will be the last time you see one of his “you’ve got to be shi++ing me, that’s not even possible” plays while listening to the media and everybody else bag on him being a bust, all the while knowing you NEED more JA in your life. Just know, JA has been hearing all the hate and he has a fire in his belly that will not let him fail. Soon enough everyone will know too and you will be able to say, “ I told you so”. 

Hi Brittany! Feel free to slide into my DM’s

Aaron Rogers sat for 2 years.......(of course, that was behind Farve)  Still, a season watching and learning would help him a lot...in fact he would learn a lot with just a half a season sitting.  That, in fact, is my prediction.....we will see Allen Nov 25 against the Jags, not before.  HE will finish the season, then, if healthy.  6 game training program when the season is (essentially) over.

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

... I mean, I was generally a Tyrod fan.  I kept looking for him to improve in certain areas, to make some major league throws.   His critics always said he never would, and over time I agreed.  ...

it is nice to finally see you own what you berated anyone who disagreed with your assessment over.

i still wish Tyrod nothing but the best, however the fact that he did not evolve beyond what that infamous scouting report pegged him at can not be denied. i think he is now quite possibly in the best situation for him, Hue is a QB whisperer and if Tyrod is ever truly going to evolve past that peg, he will do it with Hue coaching him.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I have no words to express how thankful I am that the fans have zero say in how the staff brings Allen along.  ?

I doubt that’s the case actually. If the McCarron and Peterman struggle, the outcry from fans and media to see Allen will have an impact on the coaching staff, believe me.

6 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Aaron Rogers sat for 2 years.......(of course, that was behind Farve)  Still, a season watching and learning would help him a lot...in fact he would learn a lot with just a half a season sitting.  That, in fact, is my prediction.....we will see Allen Nov 25 against the Jags, not before.  HE will finish the season, then, if healthy.  6 game training program when the season is (essentially) over.

I don't know, this idea of "watching and learning" just seems bogus to me.

Coaches claim it's beneficial, but it really seems like a cover-up because they still want to start a veteran (like Farve), or the rookie QB they drafted highly is a potential bust (like EJ), or they don't have the guts to trust the guy they highly drafted or they don't know how to coach a young QB (Jeff Fisher).

Seriously, what is Allen going to learn "watching" a football game?  On any given Sunday, 60,000 people watch a live football game.  Are they better QBs for watching a live game?

Young, talented players need reps to learn.  They need to work on the field with the team's best players.  During the season, the starting QB gets all the reps in practice.  The backup QB is the QB for the scout team.  And a 3rd string guy is throwing the ball to the WRs in sweats coming off of IR.

At what other position is "watching and learning" acceptable for a highly drafted rookie?  The Bills are starting a 20 year old rookie at MLB this year.  If the coaches said, we're going to let him "watch and learn" this year, fans would rightly have this guy pegged as a bust.

In the salary cap era, team's need their first and second round players to contribute to win.  The Chiefs sat their first round QB to let him "watch and learn," but you have to wonder if their team could have gone further in the playoffs with an additional first round talent on the o-line, or in the secondary, or at linebacker.

And after a year of "watching and learning" how surprised will you be if Mahomes still looks like a rookie this year?  Not very is my guess.

I firmly believe that McDermott will start the QB that gives the team the best chance to win this year.  But if it's not Allen, you have to wonder how much better the team would have been with 2 extra 2nd rounders on the roster.  That's the price for Allen's supposed education.