National Josh Allen buzz after 1 preseason half

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/nfl-preseason-blitz-now-know-bills-fell-love-josh-allens-arm-035632424.html

Now we know why the Bills fell in love with Josh Allen's arm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/08/the_bills_have_their_most_talented_quarterback_since_jim_kelly_in_josh_allen_say.amp

Buffalo Bills have their most talented quarterback since Jim Kelly in Josh Allen, says Adam Schein

And on the Colin Cowherd show today, Brady Quinn was a guest and he was asked questions about Baker Mayfield's performance.  With absolutely no prompting or mention of Allen's name, Quinn said (to paraphrase) "ya know the guy who I thought was great last night: Josh Allen.  He's the guy who looked like the #1 overall pick last night."

He brought Allen up again later with no prompting.

It's funny because all the negative buzz seems to be solely about that one 4th and 3 play. Nothing negative about him, otherwise :flirt:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 18

Yeah, the guys was impressive and showed so much promise that we really have a lot to be excited about.  I think Beane and McDermott are absolutely spot on in letting him grow, build his skills and confidence, develop chemistry with his receivers, and then maybe get him a big time stud No. 1 receiver FA or next draft around.  I wouldn't even be upset if they took their time and Josh Allen didn't become the starter until later this year or even next year. 

Excited about our QB?  Wow, that's a change and I'm loving it!

Edited by RichardLee
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The high points showcased above are examples of the things Allen can do, as have long been acknowledged by even his fiercest critics.  Tremendous arm, great velocity, at times can deliver big time home run type throws.  

The problem is the other stuff.  The first pass of the game: big arm, big throw....3 yards out of bounds.

47% completion percentage for a half of football.

The Panthers game did not reveal new insight into Allen's potential, it showcased exactly who he is and who he has been.

Here's hoping he can morph into a substantially more consistent, accurate passer. 

• Like (+1) 4

i find myself agreeing with the "i NEED more Allen" crowd here. he was far from perfect, but he was fun, exciting, and showed all the reasons that one would be hopeful for. he showed the ability to make throws that so many quarterbacks just physically cannot make. there was a little bit of fire, and a whole lot of effort from him. i liked what i saw in the debut, and can't wait for the next installment!

The thing to me that was exciting is that he made some plays that other guys can’t. I mean there are some GREAT QBs that could have made that throw to Lee or that TD throw. Brady and Brees couldn’t have. Now before off someone goes on about claims that he is better than Brady or Brees that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying those guys couldn’t have physically made that throw to Lee off his back foot or gotten that ball through traffic to McCloud. His arm talent is insane. There are glimpses of greatnesses. He has to get more consistent but it is pretty obvious why the football community was so high on him.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This from Mike Catalana...

"I loved his lack of fear in letting the ball go."

We have not had a QB do that here since JK!

17 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i find myself agreeing with the "i NEED more Allen" crowd here. he was far from perfect, but he was fun, exciting, and showed all the reasons that one would be hopeful for. he showed the ability to make throws that so many quarterbacks just physically cannot make. there was a little bit of fire, and a whole lot of effort from him. i liked what i saw in the debut, and can't wait for the next installment!

His time will come...Neither Peterman nor AJ can make that kind of throws.  I don't want Allen thrown to the wolves when our first 5 of 7 games are on the road.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

*SNIP*

Props for posting all this in one easy to view post. Really appreciate it.

I'm glad some people are enjoying watching him, as am I. I'm still not confident in his prospects with our team the way it is, but doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy when he does well. Either way, just happy to know at the end of the season I'll have something to look forward to. Whether we're in the playoff hunt for the 2nd year in a row (extremely unlikely), or Allen gets thrown in as the starter since the season's lost, it'll give us all a great reason to stay engaged.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

instead of punting they should just have Josh Allen go out on 4th down and throw a 78 yd intereception every time

— PFTCommenter (@PFTCommenter) August 10, 2018

?  I never actually thought of something like this before.  Do any of you know if teams have done something like this in the past?  Kinda like a Hail Mary play I suppose.

12 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

instead of punting they should just have Josh Allen go out on 4th down and throw a 78 yd intereception every time

?  I never actually thought of something like this before.  Do any of you know if teams have done something like this in the past?  Kinda like a Hail Mary play I suppose.

Think about it a little harder....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

If the the other team doesn't intercept the ball then it comes all the way back to the line of scrimmage. Otherwise teams would have always done this.

I propose that on 4th down the hall becomes a live ball so that even if the other team doesn't intercept it then ball goes to where it lands or rolls. For the offense however they have catch the ball. It would be too easy for the offense to just pick a lose ball and advance it from there.

this would also eliminate the punting  game along with the punter and longsnapper making more roster spots for position players. It would also greatly reduce injuries that comes with the kicking game.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Sad 1

I really wonder what Daboll and McD are thinking after they reviewed the game tape.  Does Josh get a few more reps with the ones since he flashed his ability to make eye-opening plays and didn't show any signs that the big stage was too much for him?  Even the postgame comments from teammates were somewhat telling -- they are also in awe of his talent.

If the coaches aren't afraid Josh will make big mistakes to lose games, there's really no justification for not playing him when you consider his ability to make huge plays that the other two QBs simply aren't capable of making.  I suppose it also comes down to the coaches being confident that Josh can "move the sticks" even when the big play isn't there.

McD was right yesterday when he said his job just got tougher.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The high points showcased above are examples of the things Allen can do, as have long been acknowledged by even his fiercest critics.  Tremendous arm, great velocity, at times can deliver big time home run type throws.  

The problem is the other stuff.  The first pass of the game: big arm, big throw....3 yards out of bounds.

47% completion percentage for a half of football.

The Panthers game did not reveal new insight into Allen's potential, it showcased exactly who he is and who he has been.

Here's hoping he can morph into a substantially more consistent, accurate passer. 

Not going to challenge your ‘statboy’ premise as 50%of 19 is 9.5, it just seems that’s the only way you WANT to view him. But given his other-worldly accuracy, the 3 wild misses had to be misdiagnosis by either the receivers or him. At least 2 were flat out drops and Foster quit on 2 routes. Carry on.

13 minutes ago, eball said:

I really wonder what Daboll and McD are thinking after they reviewed the game tape.  Does Josh get a few more reps with the ones since he flashed his ability to make eye-opening plays and didn't show any signs that the big stage was too much for him?  Even the postgame comments from teammates were somewhat telling -- they are also in awe of his talent.

If the coaches aren't afraid Josh will make big mistakes to lose games, there's really no justification for not playing him when you consider his ability to make huge plays that the other two QBs simply aren't capable of making.  I suppose it also comes down to the coaches being confident that Josh can "move the sticks" even when the big play isn't there.

Excellent take. If McD’s job did ‘just get tougher’, it’s because he doesn’t want to start Allen to begin with (5-7 road games). But if coach stays true to his preaching, the BEST players will start.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's time to give Allen the 1st team reps. No more clowning around, they are just pushing back the inevitable.

The other guys are game managers, guys to safely execute the playbook...that can be developed just as easily using the 2nd and 3rd units. 

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 3

Let me add something that hasn't been directly mentioned.    Being able to throw an accurate 50+yard pass makes everything else so much more effective.  The deep square-in now becomes an easy pass because the CB has to respect being beat REALLY deep.  Every fake by the WR is now better because the DB has to delay a split second to guard against being  beat deep.   The free safety is now a deep safety and his job becomes being around to bail out other DB's who might be beat.    The Bills can get a "Bob Hayes" type WR and the defenses have to think about double covering him- giving everybody else more room. (Bullet Bob Hayes was a 100 yard dash track star who converted to football.  Originally, he had few moves but he could outrun anybody by 5 -10 yards.   https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=bob+hayes#id=1&vid=2bf9866750ef31fc10fc0bc1fb92b0e3&action=click )    A nice thing about this type of player is that most teams can't use them and also most teams don't have DB's who can match them 1 on 1.   A cheap draft pick can get you a home run guy that the other teams have to game plan against.

WHOOOT !!

• Like (+1) 7

16 minutes ago, eball said:

I think it's a win/win for them to start the season with Peterman or McCarron and trade the other guy. 

If the starter does good, then they can be praised for making a good choice and being patient with Allen.

If the starter does bad, they can officially move on to Allen with little drama and begin the Allen era, for better or worse.

On the other hand, if they start Allen and he does bad, they'll be questioned forever about why they threw him to the wolves and didn't start the vet. They'll have to go back and forth from Allen to vet to Allen and maybe back to vet again, possibly ruining Allen's confidence and career along the way. That's a nightmare scenario.

Just do what KC did with Mahomes. Follow that natural progression of QBs and they'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

It's time to give Allen the 1st team reps. No more clowning around, they are just pushing back the inevitable.

The other guys are game managers, guys to safely execute the playbook...that can be developed just as easily using the 2nd and 3rd units. 

Nice color pants.    I disagree.  The most important thing this year is to develop the guy and not screw anything up.

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Nice color pants.    I disagree.  The most important thing this year is to develop the guy and not screw anything up.

...agree.....certainly is odd how Allen could possibly go from the outhouse to the penthouse so fast with the urinalists' known "love for Buffalo"......