Based off last night I am taking AJM over Peterman

Peterman went 9-for-10 for 119 yards and a touchdown 

McCarron went 7-for-10 for 116 yards in the second quarter and a touchdown. 

I don't see a big separation between the two. Peterman got 2 more completions and 3 more yards.

Edited by Lfod

2 hours ago, MDH said:

I love this idea being thrown out there today that playing with the ones is somehow easier. In years past I’ve seen posters dismiss a backups good pre-season game because the 2nd and 3rd Ds they were playing against were going to be “bagging groceries in a few weeks.”

Suddenly, when a guy they don’t want to win the starting spot plays well vs. the other teams 1s this new line of thinking comes out. It’s hilarious.

I'm sorry, I missed the part in my post where I said I didn't want NP to win the starting job. I happen to like NP. We happen to have shared the same chiropractor here in St John's Florida when he went to Bartram. True story although not an impressive one. The chiro used to hype him up all the time to me when the Bills drafted him. 

If he wins it, great. All I'm saying is we've seen him with the better unit and he's performed admirably. Now how about affording the same courtesy to the guy they signed for 10 mil and the guy they traded up to get.

Let him play with the 2nd and 3rd team and see if he plays with the same consistency. Like you say, if he continues to play well it makes the decision easier. It's not Josh I want to see with the 1s, it's AJM. I'd be fine with Josh sitting and coming in later or next year.

10 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I don't see a big separation between the two. Peterman got 2 more completions and 3 more yards.

There really isn't other than 1 QB playing against starters of a pretty solid D and the other against 2nd stringers.

2 hours ago, Wagon Circler said:

Peterman decisive.

McCarren and Allen indecisive.

Guess we were watching different games.

Peterman was great.

Hmmmm...you both seem to have left out the late throw that was also high and behind Ivory for an Int.  Bad pass, and while both him and Ivory are accountable, its more on NP who was late on the throw and it was a difficult pass to catch because of bad ball placement too.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I just rewatched every throw. Ok that first sack AJ takes Peterman does not. Peterman has the ball gone. Peterman also made plays under pressure. AJ over threw long twice. The one deep bomb his man was wiiiideeee open. 

Plus AJs touchdown is off a run. Petermans is pure passing touchdown even after it was brought back. Im leaning towards Peterman. AJ takes his sack while Peterman scrambles to the outside and utilizes Kelvin Benjamin size to make a sideline completion. 

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hmmmm...you both seem to have left out the late throw that was also high and behind Ivory for an Int.  Bad pass, and while both him and Ivory are accountable, its more on NP who was late on the throw and it was a difficult pass to catch because of bad ball placement too.

I agree, when the radio said through the hands I assumed it wasn't on Peterman. After watching the highlights I agree, terribly placed ball. Still could of batted the ball down instead of tipping it to a defender but that doesn't excuse it. I also agree his passes could use more power. 

I think defenders will jump his routes in anticipation. Peterman will have to master the pump fake. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

There really isn't other than 1 QB playing against starters of a pretty solid D and the other against 2nd stringers.

I can't argue that. Still some preseason games to be played. I would like to see them all get a start in preseason. 

6 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I can't argue that. Still some preseason games to be played. I would like to see them all get a start in preseason. 

Agree there.

I must say I favor the decisive, quick throws pushing the ball down field Nate was making. It will help this newer assembled O-line stay fresh. KB was loving it last night and finally looked like a true #1 WR.

My POV is AJM Q1, NP Q2, and JA 2nd half to give lots of experience.  Let the coaches figure out the starter by week 3 and play most of game, and JA, play most of game 4.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what any of us says as the coaches Mgmt and owners will make the decisions.  JA hopefully after the bye.

16 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Agree there.

I must say I favor the decisive, quick throws pushing the ball down field Nate was making. It will help this newer assembled O-line stay fresh. KB was loving it last night and finally looked like a true #1 WR.

I was actually very satisfied with the game. I think all the QB made more plays than mistakes. It was nice to actually see them all have drives for TDs. I seen different styles of QB play that all seemed to be working. 

At this point I'm good with any of them. I have no favorite. At least for a preseason game the offence looked good in the hands of Dabol and all the QBs. I was blown away honestly. I was roaring like it was the real deal and I hope it is. 

The fact we are debating over who is the best QB out of 3 that all had good games is a good sign. It's kinda funny we debating this and not in celebration of it. 

Coming off last season I wouldn't have predicted so much rythm out there. Not at the capacity I actually got it. I feel spoiled. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I was actually very satisfied with the game. I think all the QB made more plays than mistakes. It was nice to actually see them all have drives for TDs. I seen different styles of QB play that all seemed to be working. 

At this point I'm good with any of them. I have no favorite. At least for a preseason game the offence looked good in the hands of Dabol and all the QBs. I was blown away honestly. I was roaring like it was the real deal and I hope it is. 

The fact we are debating over who is the best QB out of 3 that all had good games is a good sign. It's kinda funny we debating this and not in celebration of it. 

Trust me Lfod I'm 100% right with you as well. I'm actually pretty pumped and that never normally comes from preseason games. These threads are so damn refreshing though as the TT threads were outta hand over the last year. It's nice to see our QB's throw the F'ing ball.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

If AJ is better than Peterman, why trade AJ?

I wouldn't until next year when Allen is the man. And like I said it may end up vice versa. If it's close you keep Peterman because he's cheaper and under contract 1 year longer.

5 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I would like to see the next game where the QB rotation is:

1st: McCarron    2nd: Allen   3rd: Peterman

I wouldn’t be shocked it that was the plan. Curious to see if petermans stats effect how next week is handled. I took last night as petermans audition for 53 or trade.... and that AJM and Allen would end up 1-2 in no particular order. 

4 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

So far, I agree. Perhaps the next game will solidify this. I hope to see a clear cut starter by the end of preseason. I really hope it's Allen!!

It wont be Allen.

3 hours ago, folz said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the first half because I came away thinking Peterman had a slightly better night than McCarron. Although it was close.

And as far as arm strength, I also thought Peterman is slightly ahead of McCarron. There were a couple throws by McCarron where he looked like Fitz, having to put his whole body into the throw. But you guys are right that sometimes Peterman's balls have too much air...but definitely not every throw. He made some crisp passes last night. I also like Peterman's quick decisions/release. But as some of you have stated, he will have to be careful in real games to not get those routes jumped. He'll have to prove he can get it downfield now and then to keep the D honest.

I am not a "Peterman" guy. I have been expecting AJ to start the season for a while now, but Peterman impressed me last night. It will be good to see the reverse next game. To see AJ with the ones and Nate with the twos to see if that matters.

Either way, I'm feeling really good with the way all three QBs played last night.

Aj had the longest completion of all the qbs. He didnt turn the ball over and the team scored more points with him in. 

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, and this staff is in no rush with Allen.  You can see how giddy they are about his potential and arm, so you know they are just itching to turn the kid loose.  But, they also know this is a long term play here, they are going to be patient and let the kid earn his spot on the field.  Allen can see the field this year, but I think its only under one or more of the following conditions:

1. Injury to whoever is in front of him (assuming he is the backup unless we keep 3 QB's)
  2. Guy(s) ahead of him are just failing to get the job done and Allen is showing in practice he gives us best shot to win
  3. Bills are out of playoff contention completely

McD and Beane keep stating they wont rush this, so as I much as we all want to see this kid sooner rather than later, its going to likely be a bit and maybe not til next year if NP or AJM start and play well.  Which would actually be the best thing for the team as they become a trade asset to make room for Allen.  

This all makes the most sense if the starter plays lights out.  

I guess I don't expect that to happen.  I also think Allen needs significant time on the field to change his approach.  I think you get him mentally pointed in the right direction, understanding the offense, and give him time on the field to figure it out.  He's got the brain power.

That touchdown throw to McCloud?  Amazing throw but poor decision.  Too tight a window in a normal NFL game, he didn't see Lee open on the short out or both receivers relatively uncovered on the backside.  Allen relies on his arm too much to force throws, compromise his decision process, and I believe it's part of his overall inaccuracy.

Despite McD's talk, this franchise won't take the next step until Allen gets the bugs worked out on the field and do we want to wait until next season for that?

I think we would have kept TT if mgmt was committed to keeping Allen on the bench a full season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

This all makes the most sense if the starter plays lights out.  

I guess I don't expect that to happen.  I also think Allen needs significant time on the field to change his approach.  I think you get him mentally pointed in the right direction, understanding the offense, and give him time on the field to figure it out.  He's got the brain power.

That touchdown throw to McCloud?  Amazing throw but poor decision.  Too tight a window in a normal NFL game, he didn't see Lee open on the short out or both receivers relatively uncovered on the backside.  Allen relies on his arm too much to force throws, compromise his decision process, and I believe it's part of his overall inaccuracy.

Despite McD's talk, this franchise won't take the next step until Allen gets the bugs worked out on the field and do we want to wait until next season for that?

I think we would have kept TT if mgmt was committed to keeping Allen on the bench a full season.

Good points, but we got rid of TT cuz Cleveland parted with a premium pick for him.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And yes...Peterman played well

I didnt like some of the air mails Peterman was throwing that still got to a WR....they look like picks to me when a defense game plans for them

I thought AJM looked to push the ball down the field.....did it with the 2nd unit as well

completely agree exact same observations i had

I agree that McCarron is looked like more of an NFL QB than Peterman... but if I was McD I would cut the BS, and just give the reigns to Allen.  

I read today “not a lot of reps for Allen” at practice... Really???  AJ is basically a younger Fitz, let’s just get Allen all the experience he can as early as possible. He will make rookie mistakes, but one thing I’m pretty certain of is this game is not too big for him mentally, and the sooner they just take their lumps in the developmental process the better.   I wasn’t sure of Allen when drafted, but I think he really stands a great chance of being the long sought after answer at the QB spot, no reason to coddle the kid imo.

Edited by ThunderGun

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And yes...Peterman played well

I didnt like some of the air mails Peterman was throwing that still got to a WR....they look like picks to me when a defense game plans for them

I thought AJM looked to push the ball down the field.....did it with the 2nd unit as well

Cool. Didn't know you made these decisions. 

McCarron looked the real deal. I said the same about Peterman's lob passes. He reminds me a lot of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Smart, makes quick reads, but he will throw a ton picks. Maybe he'll turn into a Chad Pennington type. I remember Pennington's passes would hang forever but he always made the right read and made it faster than anyone. 

If Peterman has figured out when to take what the D gives him and when to take his shot down field, he will be tough to stop. That's what we saw vs Carolina. He's very intriguing. Let's see what happens. Maybe a QB group that I thought was bad will turn out pretty good. 

4 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I wouldn't until next year when Allen is the man. And like I said it may end up vice versa. If it's close you keep Peterman because he's cheaper and under contract 1 year longer.

I wouldn't trade any of them until someone makes us. Don't hand the keys over until they pass the driving test. 

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

It’s one game.  After 2 more performances I’ll guesstimate along with you guys.  After watching allen throw rockets all over the field and the OL playing well, I’d give the nod to allen after 1 game.  THe last 2 throws he completed to Lee and Ray Ray were throws that not many, if any, QBs could make. He lets it rip better than any an I’ve ever seen

Im a sucker for a big arm, obv.  

Size queen.