Based off last night I am taking AJM over Peterman

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree 100%.  He had one good drive.  AJM looked to have the better arm.  Nothing against Peterman, but I dont see anything other than a serviceable back-up.  And his INT was HIS fault too, not just the RB.  Ball was terrible placed behind the RB and was late.  He doesnt get a pass.  Yes, RB still had a play on the ball, but it was not a good pass either, so they both share blame.  

He just puts too much air on the ball, secondaries will adjust and time those.  I like the kid, but just don't think he is a full time starter in the NFL.  I hope he proves me wrong, that would be great for all of us, but as of now, I just think AJM has more starting potential.  

Agree Alpha. The first pass of the game that got a flag was also slightly behind the receiver. He seems to have that issue when the route is designed to cut in. Seems to have much better ball placement when the route cuts to the outside.

That is not to hate on Peterman at all. He played well last night overall, and I am his biggest critic. I expected that after last night Allen would overtake him but it didn't happen. I think Peterman is still in that 1B position on the depth chart going into game 2, but I also believe McCarron (who used the middle of the field better and his third down throw to Streater was the best throw of the 1st half) is the guy more ready to start in the league. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree Alpha. The first pass of the game that got a flag was also slightly behind the receiver. He seems to have that issue when the route is designed to cut in. Seems to have much better ball placement when the route cuts to the outside.

That is not to hate on Peterman at all. He played well last night overall, and I am his biggest critic. I expected that after last night Allen would overtake him but it didn't happen. I think Peterman is still in that 1B position on the depth chart going into game 2, but I also believe McCarron (who used the middle of the field better and his third down throw to Streater was the best throw of the 1st half) is the guy more ready to start in the league. 

Completely agree with every word you wrote

24 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

100 percent agree. We've already seen NP at his best with the 1s. Let's see AJM with the 1s and Josh with a better offensive unit out there.

I love this idea being thrown out there today that playing with the ones is somehow easier. In years past I’ve seen posters dismiss a backups good pre-season game because the 2nd and 3rd Ds they were playing against were going to be “bagging groceries in a few weeks.”

Suddenly, when a guy they don’t want to win the starting spot plays well vs. the other teams 1s this new line of thinking comes out. It’s hilarious.

• Thank you (+1) 2

It’s one game.  After 2 more performances I’ll guesstimate along with you guys.  After watching allen throw rockets all over the field and the OL playing well, I’d give the nod to allen after 1 game.  THe last 2 throws he completed to Lee and Ray Ray were throws that not many, if any, QBs could make. He lets it rip better than any an I’ve ever seen

Im a sucker for a big arm, obv.  

Nope. Too, NO, way too early to make that call. Couldn't unseat Dalton. . . . mmmmmm . . .what does that say?

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s one game.  After 2 more performances I’ll guesstimate along with you guys.  After watching allen throw rockets all over the field and the OL playing well, I’d give the nod to allen after 1 game.  THe last 2 throws he completed to Lee and Ray Ray were throws that not many, if any, QBs could make. He lets it rip better than any an I’ve ever seen

Im a sucker for a big arm, obv.  

Big What?

Edited by BuffaloMatt
needed comma

Yeah, I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the first half because I came away thinking Peterman had a slightly better night than McCarron. Although it was close.

And as far as arm strength, I also thought Peterman is slightly ahead of McCarron. There were a couple throws by McCarron where he looked like Fitz, having to put his whole body into the throw. But you guys are right that sometimes Peterman's balls have too much air...but definitely not every throw. He made some crisp passes last night. I also like Peterman's quick decisions/release. But as some of you have stated, he will have to be careful in real games to not get those routes jumped. He'll have to prove he can get it downfield now and then to keep the D honest.

I am not a "Peterman" guy. I have been expecting AJ to start the season for a while now, but Peterman impressed me last night. It will be good to see the reverse next game. To see AJ with the ones and Nate with the twos to see if that matters.

Either way, I'm feeling really good with the way all three QBs played last night.

Edited by folz

Does anyone think McD has an affinity for Peterman based on the ill-fated start last year and the comments McD has made about Nathan?   I get a queasy feeling that its almost like Peterman is his boy.  ..if Peterman starts game 1 it could be a case of Domingo Ayala "Daddy Ball"

Peterman played well but he can't play.  Go figure.  If it doesn't fit the stereotype figure out how to deal with the round hole and your square peg.  Joe Montana didn't have a great arm.  Watch the tapes, then visit him in the Hall.  Peterman likely won't be in the Hall and may never start regularly in the NFL.  But how many said that about Brady early on? 

I don't care who wins the quarterback competition but at this point it's wide open.  Coach probably agrees based on last night.

3 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I agree, but NP played great. The long term plan could very well play out like this:

This year- Keep 3, AJM-NP-JA 

Next Year- Keep 2, JA-NP, trade AJM

You could easily go vice versa with Nate and AJ in either scenario. It would be nice to have Peterman as a cheap backup option for the next 3 years.

If AJ is better than Peterman, why trade AJ?