Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 12 at 4:45 PM in Orchard Park - Closed to the Public

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 12 at 4:45 PM in Orchard Park - Closed to the Public

Quick Hits: Rotation at QB will continue

Coming out of Thursday night’s preseason game, head coach Sean McDermott was generally pleased with the performance. With the focus of the fans squarely on the quarterback competition, McDermott offered his position on where things stand coming out of the game.

“I think all three of those guys raised their game. That’s good to see. The competition tends to do that,” he said. “The good part is all three of them played well, so it makes my job tougher.

Battle at center a dead heat

Team must make jump going into Cleveland game

If Ray Ray Ray continues to play well he helps the team in a lot of ways. They may be able to keep one less RB. They may not need to keep a guy just for KR or PR (or keep a guy like Taiwan Jones as the KR who is a RB but not a very good one. He can also be used effectively on offense as a gadget back for reverses (they did one last night), jet sweeps, etc. Line him up as the RB and then put him in motion to get a LB trying to cover him out of the backfield. He could be a nice little jack of all trades player and allow us to keep an extra WR or S or QB. 

• Like (+1) 5

..not a fan at all with the new cutdown parameters......acceleration makes things happen too fast IMO.....trying to evaluate talent in a shorter order doesn't make much sense....too bad the NFL doesn't have a minor league system ala MLB or NHL where some of these kids could be assigned to hone their skills...similar callups/promotions or sent downs/demotions for slackers......a quick "off the top of my pointed head" observation without thinking the whole thing thoroughly through......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..not a fan at all with the new cutdown parameters......acceleration makes things happen too fast IMO.....trying to evaluate talent in a shorter order doesn't make much sense....too bad the NFL doesn't have a minor league system ala MLB or NHL where some of these kids could be assigned to hone their skills...similar callups/promotions or sent downs/demotions for slackers......a quick "off the top of my pointed head" observation without thinking the whole thing thoroughly through......

No...that's a reasonable idea to at least explore. I've heard it mentioned once or twice in various outlets, but no one ever pursues the notion.

Seems like college ball IS the minors for the NFL. Maybe most players are too physically used up by their mid twenties to make substantial leaps in production? Of course a few guys here and there just haven't had a real opportunity where health and playing time have coincided often enough for them to show their abilities...I mean Freddie Jackson needed NFL Europe to really get noticed. But staying healthy and continuing to fight for a chance is just such a crapshoot with the brutality of the game (even in its kindler, gentler current incantation).

In short, I like the thought. 

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I'm kinda hoping that's what the AAF becomes. First season starts the week after the Super Bowl, so make sure you tune in.

• Like (+1) 1