Lets give some credit to THE O LINE

I dont think the OL is as bad as people want to think it is. Well except for that third unit they were HORRIBLE. 

However because I havent said it in awhile. FIRE JUAN. 

Edited by MAJBobby

Yes, I think the concerns have been a bit overstated. The tackles are the same as last year; Groy will most likely start at center and has shown he is more than capable when he replaced an injured Wood; the RG is last year's starter at LG; and the LG previously started for 2 years.  The depth is adequate too.

Edited by TPS

5 minutes ago, WMDman said:

i even thought the second unit looked serviceable 

They looked more than serviceable....Teller and Bodine were rock solid.Move Ducasse back to the right guard spot and let Teller start at left guard next week..I'm sure it's being discussed. Teller sure doesn't look like sideline material.

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

They looked more than serviceable....Teller and Bodine were rock solid.Move Ducasse back to the right guard spot and let Teller start at left guard next week..I'm sure it's being discussed. Teller sure doesn't look like sideline material.

I like Miller at that RG spot

It is really nice to know that if we get a OG boo boo then Teller is waiting in the wings.

18 minutes ago, WMDman said:

i even thought the second unit looked serviceable 

I was worried on the very first play when McCarron had four people on him within a second of the snap.  

Fortunately they tightened up from there and overall, both units played pretty well.     Gives me hope that those who left in the offseason can be replaced. 

I focused on either Ducasse and Miller on every snap they were in (because Im a dork and love watching o line play I guess). Miller was generally solid in both pass protect and run block.. nothing really stood out either way. More often than not .. Ducasse was off balance or or losing his one on one battle. Ducasse also seemed to get a lot of double team help from Dawkins.

Once the second unit came in I focused mainly on Wyatt Teller. As a caveat.. yes he was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers .. however... more often than not he DOMINATED his assignment. There was one pass play in the first half where he literally threw the DE aside on his butt like he was throwing a hay bale. There were several times where they had Teller pulling on run plays and not only did he get to his spot quickly.. but he popped the defender nicely to seal off the hole. I also recall a short yardage play where they called a run to his hole and he got some nice movement to pave the way for a first down.

I don't see how the coaching staff could not reward him with several reps with the ones this week during practice and hopefully in the Cleveland game. Pretty cool to see a rookie dominate .. even if it was 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Edited by Bocephuz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Juan Castillo deserves some credit too. 

Hea is not exactly working with the cream of the crop here.

Plus there are only 2 guys that are playing the same position on the o line as last year (Mills & Dawkins) and it’s a new run blocking scheme.

When all of that is taken into account, it’s even more impressive how they played last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

I think the people that give the least amount of effort in preseason are the starting Dline.

It is impossible to grade any o line in preseason.

let them be happy with last night..... we know it means beans until Week One opening kickoff...

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I dont think the OL is as bad as people want to think it is. Well except for that third unit they were HORRIBLE. 

However because I havent said it in awhile. FIRE JUAN. 

Im still concerned about the OL.  I was thrilled to see a better than expected performance, but its the first preseason game thats not much more meaningful than a scrimmage.  So I am not ready to relax my concerns just yet, but definitely encouraging.  So I probably wont be more than cautiously optimistic until I see what the do when the games matter.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

That's a major concern unless Mills has finally figured out how to pass block with any consistency.

yeah, I was thinking about the belief that they would be worse this year. My view is they won't be any worse--they were pretty good in run blocking but mediocre in pass blocking. Of course there is room for improvement.  I think Daboll's scheme should help out too.