Lets give some credit to THE O LINE

Just now, John from Riverside said:

The OL that was drafted in this draft in Teller actually looks pretty good.....not sure why he is not getting 1st team burn yet.

but.....as far as the picks go several picks went towards moving to 7 and NOT giving up future picks.....what player did we leave on the table?

Several? You mean two?

And I'm not going to go all the way back to the draft but I feel like that 4th round pick spent on Taron Johnson could've been o line. The Siran Neal pick as well, where they moved up in the 5th round (where they also drafted Teller) could've also went o line.

I mean, my main issue is they lost a LT, a G and C who were pro bowl caliber players at one time or another, looked at this scrap heap that was left and decided "no problem found."

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

But they did,cheaply. Bodine and Newhouse for example...No tears were shed in Oakland and Cincinnati when they were shown the door...

Yea and those were guys they targeted. Castillo is unable to identify a good player for a group in which he coaches. It's not like Beane calls him up for his opinion on corner or kicker.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Luka said:

Several? You mean two?

And I'm not going to go all the way back to the draft but I feel like that 4th round pick spent on Taron Johnson could've been o line. The Siran Neal pick as well, where they moved up in the 5th round (where they also drafted Teller) could've also went o line.

I mean, my main issue is they lost a LT, a G and C who were pro bowl caliber players at one time or another, looked at this scrap heap that was left and decided "no problem found."

What OL were available in those rounds that you wanted?  Taron Johnson is in line to start in the dime defense.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

What OL were available in those rounds that you wanted?  Taron Johnson is in line to start in the dime defense.

You are missing the point, a dime corner is not a position of need when you literally have lost 2 thirds of your starting o line. A back up safety is again, not a position of need in this situation.  It's not up to me to decide who's a good lineman, the point was that is an area they should have been keen on adding depth and talent to.

They threw a couple of crappy free agents at it and said "good enough."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Ageeed. I seriously question this regimes ability to assess offensive talent. 

Does this regime lack the ability to assess offense talent or does it not value offense, so it puts offense  at the very bottom of its priorities?   Drafting a first round QB to placate the fan base but not providing him with protection (OL) or targets (WRs) -- a prescription for practically guaranteeing said first round QB to fail -- would fit with either scenario.

1 minute ago, Luka said:

You are missing the point, a dime corner is not a position of need when you literally have lost 2 thirds of your starting o line. A back up safety is again, not a position of need in this situation.  It's not up to me to decide who's a good lineman, the point was that is an area they should have been keen on adding depth and talent to.

Im not positive that "this is good enough" is what they are really thinking.....they might be thinking "this is the area we are going to address heavily next year" do not forget we are STILL in the middle of a rebiuld

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Call me a idiot or laugh at me but I would not be surprised if TJ started in place of Davis at some point..meaning by mid September.

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

I agree,especially when you know you're going to be drafting a stud QB.

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Call me a idiot or laugh at me but I would not be surprised if TJ started in place of Davis at some point..meaning by mid September.

Which is fine but then why spend the money on Davis? The roster just really seems unbalanced to me.

21 minutes ago, Luka said:

How about some draft picks? You don't need to draft one #1 to get a good one. How about undrafted free agents?

I just think that whoever is evaluating the line is blind, deaf and dumb.

Call up Buddy Nix, if there is one thing the man could do, it was scout offensive lineman.

YE OLE fondly remembers Buddy’s rant on scouting philosophy. It went something like... He wanted to get down on the field and stand nose to nose with these guys. He wanted to smell his breath and know what a guy ate for lunch. That’s how you get quality OLineman... FACT!

1 minute ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

YE OLE fondly remembers Buddy’s rant on scouting philosophy. It went something like... He wanted to get down on the field and stand nose to nose with these guys. He wanted to smell his breath and know what a guy ate for lunch. That’s how you get quality OLineman... FACT!

It worked whatever it was. Levitre and Wood in 09 anchored that line for awhile. If only he could've drafted well at literally any other position lol

We are in really big trouble if that OL situation isn't addressed.  I don't think I've ever seen pass protection that bad at the professional level; that is if you can even call what we saw today "professional".

You cannot start Allen with pass protection that bad.  By default you have to start someone else.  He doesn't have the the experience to even begin to deal with that.  All you;re going to do is get him hurt, and probably ruin his confidence.  Red shirt him this year.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

We are in really big trouble if that OL situation isn't addressed.  I don't think I've ever seen pass protection that bad at the professional level; that is if you can even call what we saw today "professional".

You cannot start Allen with pass protection that bad.  By default you have to start someone else.  He doesn't have the the experience to even begin to deal with that.  All you;re going to do is get him hurt, and probably ruin his confidence.  Red shirt him this year.

I was trashed for saying this a couple weeks ago.

Sadly I was right.

We didn’t have enough resources to get the QB of our Offense, the qb of our Defense, fix the DL, fill the holes in the secondary and WR. We got a few of them.  Time will tell if they were good choices, but I’m ok with all the additions we made except Lotuleleieeie.  We way overpaid for him.  I think Murphy has the ability to live up to his 7mill per year contract if he can suit up.  I love Allen. I love Edmunds.  I like Taron Johnson.  I think our backup RB position is great, especially compared to last year.  Teller looks the part so far.  Our additions were good, but the sudden departures of incognito and Wood set the team back.  They didn’t want to overpay to fix the OL this year because we didn’t have much cap room.  They will next year.  We have the cap room and will try and fix what they didn’t have the resources to fix this season.  OL, WR/playmakers.  A #2 cb and the rest of the front 7.

they failed in retaining Castillo.  This is the only thing I hate about McDermott.  That he, for some reason, thinks this guy can coach an OL.  If he’s retained behind this season it could cause McD his job in 2020.

I was actually impressed(no sarcasm) with the way they got into the defense when we ran it. I though did not miss how incompetent they all seemed when it was a passing down. I know the process is different but I am shocked at how one version they are good and the other they are abysmal. If it was reversed I would have hope because JA could start and get the defense to give some space.

7 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I was trashed for saying this a couple weeks ago.

Sadly I was right.

14 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

Been saying the same thing up until I saw Allen play last week.  Had a moment where I thought, hey maybe this kid should start week 1. He’s definitely better than these other bums.  But my initial thought was they should start the bums until we play the colts.  Let him see how these guys prepare each week and watch more and more film while perfecting his footwork.  A rookie qb starting 5 of 7 on the road vs some tough defenses behind this OL and throwing to these WRs could be a bad thing.  It could be a good thing, sure.  Still might be.  I think the odds of it helping him are less than hurting him.  Confidence is a real thing.  I have a feeling him starting off the bat behind this OL could have a negative impact on his career.  We’ll see.  

• Like (+1) 1

People are so freaking melodramatic. People calling Superbowl after game 1 because Peterman threw a TD to Benjamin. Now people think we'll go 0-8 and be fighting for the top draft pick after game 3.

Settle down and watch the ACTUAL games.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I was actually impressed(no sarcasm) with the way they got into the defense when we ran it. I though did not miss how incompetent they all seemed when it was a passing down. I know the process is different but I am shocked at how one version they are good and the other they are abysmal. If it was reversed I would have hope because JA could start and get the defense to give some space.

Just said the same thing in a different thread and used the word Abysmal to do it.....

Are you my brother?