What Was The Deal With Gale Gilbert?

I don’t watch much Carolina Panthers football, so I was surprised to learn that their QB2 Jauron Gilbert was the son of former Bills QB Gale Gilbert.

As a kid, I remember Gilbert at the 3rd strong QB.  Someone who was on the roster but never was really taken seriously as a good QB.  If you were down to Gilbert as your QB, it was not a good spot to be in.  In fact, Gilbert hardly ever saw the field during the regular season after the season finale in Washington during the 1990 season.

Yet Steve Tasker who was on color went on about what a good QB Gale was and how he had a cannon for an arm.  He said that Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennet hated playing against him in practice because he was so good.  

So so what was the story on Gilbert?  I never thought he was a very good QB, but apparently Tasker disagrees

I think you misunderstood.  My understanding of what Tasker was saying wasn't that they hated playing against him because he was so good, but because he had such a strong arm.  If you're coming away with bruises every time you knocked a ball down, you'd probably not enjoy having to knock those balls down, either.  At least, that's what I got out of it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Haplo848 said:

I think you misunderstood.  My understanding of what Tasker was saying wasn't that they hated playing against him because he was so good, but because he had such a strong arm.  If you're coming away with bruises every time you knocked a ball down, you'd probably not enjoy having to knock those balls down, either.  At least, that's what I got out of it.

Ok.... I was thinking they hated playing him because he was so good.

Still it makes me wonder about GG as a QB

38 minutes ago, Haplo848 said:

I thought they hated playing with him because they got teased about having a sissy teammate named Gale...

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

I think he's still the only QB to be on 5 straight Super Bowl rosters, last one with San Diego.

wow, 5 SB losses in a row.  That totally sucks.  On the other hand, 5 straight SB's.  

Was he the backup with SD?  Surprised he never bolted for a backup job/starting job elsewhere.  

16 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

No, just 4 straight, went to Denver after Buffalo.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LodiMi20.htm

Ok 6 total appearances.  Didn’t realize they weren’t consecutive 

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

He had a rocket arm, but couldn't do other things that a QB needs to be successful in the league.

I was very surprised to hear about his disturbing arrest that basically cost almost 2 years of his NFL career.  In its 2018, with the ways news and information travels I don’t think he’d get the second chance the Bills gave him.

On August 10, 2018 at 9:47 AM, Haplo848 said:

Yes.  

I have heard others (I think Mark Kelso) comment on the fact that Gale Gilbert had the strongest arm of anyone they had ever seen.  

He used to perform some type of trick which now I can't quite remember.  I think he got on his knees (or sat in a chair or something like that) at the 50 yard line and could throw the ball through the uprights, using nothing but arm strength, obviously.

Wow, great topic! I loved Gale Gilbert and thought that he would be a great QB but it never materialized. Strictly by memory now but if I’m not mistaken we got him from Seattle,I think in a trade. He was on the rise over there but couldn’t turn the corner for whatever reason. His days came to an end over there in some kind of sex scandal. I think he had a girlfriend or something along those lines, maybe she got pregnant or something. I don’t think that it was anything hoffific though but it was enough to get him shipped out of Seattle.

10 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Wow, great topic! I loved Gale Gilbert and thought that he would be a great QB but it never materialized. Strictly by memory now but if I’m not mistaken we got him from Seattle,I think in a trade. He was on the rise over there but couldn’t turn the corner for whatever reason. His days came to an end over there in some kind of sex scandal. I think he had a girlfriend or something along those lines, maybe she got pregnant or something. I don’t think that it was anything hoffific though but it was enough to get him shipped out of Seattle.

Straight from the google machine.

"He cheated on his wife. He was arrested and charged with rape. A jury acquitted him of rape and indecent liberties charges. He plead guilty to attempted second-degree assault and was sentenced to 200 hours of community service."

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19910123&slug=1262084