McDermott doesn’t learn

WIDE LEFT

7 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

I assume this is just a troll post...

But in case it isnt:  You do realize that teams need to practice ALL phases of the game in preseason right, which includes Punts, punt coverage, etc?  

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

He wanted to look at his second string punter and how guys lower on the roster would do on special teams.  Some folks here just get ridiculous over a preseason game

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

It was me and they were not only looking at the punter but more importantly how the lower tier guys performed on special teams.   You have no clue.  You are the anti-genius.

The offense must show more firepower than it did last season if you want to go for it more on 4th downs.  He didn't have a passing attack he could trust last season and preseason is a stupid time to get upset over something like this.  In the regular season though, the passing game needs to prove it can do more than last year or I too would punt in most of those situations.  Our defense made more plays than our offense in a lot of games last year.

7 hours ago, Gigs said:

Not to be that guy but the Jags were really close to facing those Eagles with a run first team and a running QB. 

Having the #1 defense in the AFC will always give you a shot assuming your offense is somewhat competent.

18 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm pretty sure that once Daboll shows McDermott what his offense is capable of that it will influence McDermott's decisions going forward.

Remember he had TT and Dennison last year driving his decisions.

....good point CB......and how soon we forget McD was a ROOKIE HC last year.....

On 8/10/2018 at 9:16 AM, fansince88 said:

Hey, in case you are wondering here is what I got.....think we may be set at QB and RB AND WR. Yet your worried about the coach that got us to the playoffs? 

He didn't mention Marvin Lewis ?

Edited by inkman
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

yep, I bet he critiqued himself as he does every aspect of the team.

....probably holds himself to a higher standard.....really like this kid as well as McBeane (throw in McDaboll as part of the "Mc Trio").....all young gun 40 somethings hell bent on building a perennial winner.....if it pans out, Pegula has the coin to keep them intact for a long time.....perhaps best since Polian era?...stay tuned....

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....probably holds himself to a higher standard.....really like this kid as well as McBeane (throw in McDaboll as part of the "Mc Trio").....all young gun 40 somethings hell bent on building a perennial winner.....if it pans out, Pegula has the coin to keep them intact for a long time.....perhaps best since Polian era?...stay tuned....

Coin would not be an issues, what would be an issue, if they are very successful, is HC offers.