McDermott doesn’t learn

WIDE LEFT

2 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Well I guessed it. Somebody actually posts that Coach punted so as to evaluate a second string punter who has zero chance to make the roster. So a critical fourth and three situation close to games end is not an ideal situation to test your #1 pick and your offense; it’s far more important to test a punter and guys will not be on the team in 3 weeks. Genius insight

I see so you and your whole 19 posts start a initial post calling out the HC over a pre season game.....someone gives you an answer.....and you use your 20th poster to bag on that board member's opinion.

Troll much?

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

I was going to comment on how the Bills lost a preseason game and no one on TBD was freaking out about it.

Guess I was wrong.

Well I guessed it. Somebody actually posts that Coach punted so as to evaluate a second string punter who has zero chance to make the roster. So a critical fourth and three situation close to games end is not an ideal situation to test your #1 pick and your offense; it’s far more important to test a punter and guys will not be on the team in 3 weeks. Genius insight

As opposed to going for it on 4th down earlier in the game when they were in easy FG range?

Not that I need it, but threads like this always make me feel much better about myself.

Its preseason. The whole point of it is to assess, not so much to strategize or win (although there's a little of that). In this instance, its about giving players more action, and film, for assessment. Guys are playing for jobs, and they need as many opportunities to show out as they can get. Punting there gives the ST another look, as well as the players on defense afterwards.

***On the 4th down when the Bills decided to go for it, the call was late getting in, forcing the Bills to burn a TO. IMO, it was the result of Daboll trying to take advantage of matchups, but since the Panthers subbed late, it changed Daboll's approach and play call. It was a costly mistake, but a mistake to learn from.

These are the games that you want those mistakes to happen (if they're going to happen) so that you learn from them without costing the team wins in the hunt for the playoffs. I could understand pointing that out or mildly calling that out as a fan, while still keeping in mind that its the preseason, but calling out a coach and basically calling him an idiot by doing what every coach would do in that situation is ridiculous.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

What. 

You think many of the guys out there on offence at that time in the game will be on the team longer then the 2nd string punter? Most of the guys playing with Allen are most likely to be cut or PS guys, so does it matter if they wanted to see the 2nd string Punter kick it, or scrubs go for a 4th down in a game where the outcome doesnt matter? Maybe he wanted to see a little more of what the defence could do in a game?

Here's a secret...McDermott didn't care about winning.  At all.  It was a preseason game.  The only reasons he kicked the onside, was to evaluate his onside unit, and the off-chance he could get to see Allen try and run a game-winning 2-minute drill (personally would have loved to see how he would have handled that).  But the actual W/L?  McD couldn't care less.

I don't know how critical I'd be of his decisions in a pre-season game, b/c winning isn't necessarily the objective for him.

His in-game decisions last year, however, were mostly bad, and that is the area where he needs the most work.

I agree he has demonstrated an ignorance of analytics and having a HC who has to go up against Bill B. twice a year who knows nothing of analytics, but likes to pray to Jesus, is not a recipe for success.

It's interesting, isn't it?

You offer some criticism of the team and posters here rush to attack you, in support of the coach/team.

Here is the simple fact: the vast majority of people who decide to participate at a football team's online discussion board, apparently, fall mostly into the cult of the blind faith and simply aren't interested in objective discourse about the team.

They are here to say "Let's go!  Superbowl here we come!" and little else.

The site needs to be divided into 2 sections: Bills Boosters for this group of people (which is most everyone) and the other section for rational, objective discussion about matters affecting the team.

The booster crowd adds very little to the discussion anyway; they are not a loss.

Edited by Fadingpain

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

He wanted to look at his second string punter and how guys lower on the roster would do on special teams.  Some folks here just get ridiculous over a preseason game

He also wanted to look at special teams about 4 times last year during the regular season too?

I'm not going to get upset over this but the guy has a point. McDermott botched these decisions in critical moments last year and for some reason he is immune from any criticism around here - if Vinatieri doesn't miss that kick, last year would've been a much different story. 

Edited by Elite Poster

5 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Man...give it a rest. Wow....no accounting for how fans take a successful season and make it look like dog poo and then take a relatively good showing for the team in their FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME and make it look like a clown show....woof. In other news, the flat earthers have emerged from their dens of solitude.

thank you and i have to read no further....

I don’t think McDermott is ever going to be that progressive guy when it comes to down-and-distance situations, i.e., when to punt/not punt. But he still falls within the vast majority of current head coaches in that regard. I can't fault him too much. 

6 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

You yourself said preseason. Situational may be emphasized as much as game. But its preseason:)

It's preseason.. Player evaluations in the 4th quarter of a preseason game include special teams and defense.  

Dude.  It's preseason.  The coaches have a list of stuff they want to see in game time, in terms of different players in different situations.    If he punted the ball in that situation, common sense says he had more interest in evaluating the ST unit than in winning the game - because it's preseason and wins don't count.

Chillax.

2 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

He also wanted to look at special teams about 4 times last year during the regular season too?

I'm not going to get upset over this but the guy has a point. McDermott botched these decisions in critical moments last year and for some reason he is immune from any criticism around here - if Vinatieri doesn't miss that kick, last year would've been a much different story. 

When he makes a mistake in a regular season game he'll get criticized.  Wanting to look at guys in the preseason is what a HC should do.