McDermott doesn’t learn

WIDE LEFT

Just now, ddaryl said:

Coin would not be an issues, what would be an issue, if they are very successful, is HC offers.

...had to bring THAT up didn't you??...J/K......look at Schwartz......seems to be very happy in his wheelhouse as a DC (first trip through as HC didn't work; ditto though for Belichick)....anyway, the potential for Daboll as a HC candidate may be a ways down the road, so we'll savior him while we can, right?....diverse game plan in #1 was pretty damn impressive IMO....

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...had to bring THAT up didn't you??...J/K......look at Schwartz......seems to be very happy in his wheelhouse as a DC (first trip through as HC didn't work; ditto though for Belichick)....anyway, the potential for Daboll as a HC candidate may be a ways down the road, so we'll savior him while we can, right?....diverse game plan in #1 was pretty damn impressive IMO....

I agree, and the offense was quite impressive in Daboll's debut.... but if the success comes as quick as you and I hope then I will be a nervous Nellie.. SO I hope at least with any immediate/short term  success comes with the mindset of " I still have a job and goal to achieve 1st" Which is winning a superbowl.

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I agree, and the offense was quite impressive in Daboll's debut.... but if the success comes as quick as you and I hope then I will be a nervous Nellie.. SO I hope at least with any immediate/short term  success comes with the mindset of " I still have a job and goal to achieve 1st" Which is winning a superbowl.

...Greenspan called it "irrational exuberance"....and the "17 year drought" was littered with just that.....so I think we're on the same page as far as "steady as she goes" ...OR...."one step at a time"...premature historical euphoria had led to way too many disappointments IMO...

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/10/2018 at 7:50 AM, oldmanfan said:

He wanted to look at his second string punter and how guys lower on the roster would do on special teams.  Some folks here just get ridiculous over a preseason game

Couldn't have been said better.  There's people to evaluate that'll potentially make the roster purely based on their special teams performances.

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

What is this madness?

It's preseason for Christ sake.

I think some folks forget that these preseason "games" are really tools for coaching staffs to determine who they want to keep on their rosters and who they want to let go.

It's not so much about winning the game.

2 hours ago, Pbomb said:

After that decision i think its time to move on from mcdermott, wouldnt be surprised if pegula fires him

...Pegula should probably fire McBeane first, citing his TWO 1st round blunders in Allen and Edmunds...their extensive bodies of work serve as plenty of evidence...and THEN fire McD.....throw in McDaboll for good measure...the "Mc Trio" can commiserate together in the same UBER ride...un-retire Marv, Buddy, Brandon and The Chan......

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/10/2018 at 9:08 AM, WIDE LEFT said:

Well I guessed it. Somebody actually posts that Coach punted so as to evaluate a second string punter who has zero chance to make the roster. So a critical fourth and three situation close to games end is not an ideal situation to test your #1 pick and your offense; it’s far more important to test a punter and guys will not be on the team in 3 weeks. Genius insight

Do you really not comprehend the concept of preseason?

On 8/10/2018 at 8:47 AM, WIDE LEFT said:

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

We're DOOMED!!!!!

So, lemmie see if I got this all straight.

In just his first year as head coach, McD takes a team that looked terrible on paper, a team many said would be fighting for top draft pick, a team that almost everyone on the board here and experts alike claim seriously overachieved for their talent level...took that team, managed to get to 9-7, a playoff birth, and the Bills' most successful season in the entirety of the 21st century.

...and there are actually people here who think he's terrible and needs to be fired?  ?

14 minutes ago, The Red King said:

In just his first year as head coach, McD takes a team that looked terrible on paper, a team many said would be fighting for top draft pick, a team that almost everyone on the board here and experts alike claim seriously overachieved for their talent level...took that team, managed to get to 9-7, a playoff birth, and the Bills' most successful season in the entirety of the 21st century.

...and there are actually people here who think he's terrible and needs to be fired?  ?

Like I said, stupid season 

58 minutes ago, The Red King said:

He's won zero Super Bowls! A real coach would have won at least 3 by the end of their first season. That loser needs to go!

Same with Allen, first round draft pick and the bust hasn't won a meaningful NFL game yet.

Rabble rabble rabble.

51 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

He's won zero Super Bowls! A real coach would have won at least 3 by the end of their first season. That loser needs to go!

Same with Allen, first round draft pick and the bust hasn't won a meaningful NFL game yet.

Rabble rabble rabble.

While they’re at it cut that punter too. If he really wanted to win a position he would’ve punted for a TD and given them a chance to win

On 8/10/2018 at 8:55 AM, BigBuff423 said:

Man...give it a rest. Wow....no accounting for how fans take a successful season and make it look like dog poo and then take a relatively good showing for the team in their FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME and make it look like a clown show....woof. In other news, the flat earthers have emerged from their dens of solitude.

Sammy's here?  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, joesixpack said:

It's moron season once again.

Still? 

Preseason is NOT about winning and losing. The Browns were 4-0 last year in preseason. How did THAT turn out? 

39 minutes ago, SNICE said:

While they’re at it cut that punter too. If he really wanted to win a position he would’ve punted for a TD and given them a chance to win

True. That punter has no heart or will to win.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:08 AM, WIDE LEFT said:

Well I guessed it. Somebody actually posts that Coach punted so as to evaluate a second string punter who has zero chance to make the roster. So a critical fourth and three situation close to games end is not an ideal situation to test your #1 pick and your offense; it’s far more important to test a punter and guys will not be on the team in 3 weeks. Genius insight

Yea b.c only the punter was on the field trying to get a roster spot...

On 8/10/2018 at 5:47 AM, WIDE LEFT said:

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

billy-madison-we-are-all-dumber-for-havi