McDermott doesn’t learn

WIDE LEFT

2 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I’ve made this point multiple times on this board using the indi game and the Jax playoff games as examples and almost nobody wanted to hear it on this board. His game mgmt could be a killer this year. That being said I think the reason he punted was just to get a chance to evaluate people and they weren’t really trying to win. Also how horrible is this new rule with the onside kick? It seems like there is zero chance to even get the ball now. What a horrible way to end exciting comebacks where you always felt like maybe it was a 50 50 chance. That rule needs to go out the window ASAP. 

Woooookaaaay!

31 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Well I guessed it. Somebody actually posts that Coach punted so as to evaluate a second string punter who has zero chance to make the roster. So a critical fourth and three situation close to games end is not an ideal situation to test your #1 pick and your offense; it’s far more important to test a punter and guys will not be on the team in 3 weeks. Genius insight

Did you watch that whole drive?  I would have punted too just to get Allen off the field.  The line was horrible that drive and Allen was running for his life.

• Thank you (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions...

hmmmm.. YOU say Tasker and all other professional analysts had no qualms about the decision, yet YOU do. 

I see a theme developing here..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If Belichick had done this is a preseason game I am sure many would talk about how brilliant he is for not giving away his strategy in a similar situation in a game that doesn’t count for anything.  I am hoping when the games count McDermott will go for it.

10 minutes ago, Heitz said:

To be fair, it is pre-season and we ALL have to get into shape for the season - even the complainers that are gonna complain... ?

I'm using the preseason comments to evaluate the posters, so I can decide whose threads to read during the regular season.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, WhoTom said:

I'm using the preseason comments to evaluate the posters, so I can decide whose threads to read during the regular season.

We can't all be on the active poster roster - some guys just GOTTA meet the turk and get the Ignore!

7 minutes ago, Heitz said:

We can't all be on the active poster roster - some guys just GOTTA meet the turk and get the Ignore!

I think I can narrow it down to 53 by opening day.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WIDE LEFT said:

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

That just cost me 1:13 of my life that I cannot get back.  

Edited by MILFHUNTER#518

1 hour ago, WIDE LEFT said:

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

The 3rd preseason game is the only thing that looks remotely like regular season football.  August 27th can't come fast enough so I can read your Bengals, Bills breakdown.

2 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Well I guessed it. Somebody actually posts that Coach punted so as to evaluate a second string punter who has zero chance to make the roster. So a critical fourth and three situation close to games end is not an ideal situation to test your #1 pick and your offense; it’s far more important to test a punter and guys will not be on the team in 3 weeks. Genius insight

It was me and they were not only looking at the punter but more importantly how the lower tier guys performed on special teams.   You have no clue.  You are the anti-genius.