McDermott doesn’t learn

WIDE LEFT

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 11

Why are you thinking that our offense in preseason game 1 was philosophy-based rather than what it usually is, which is a tool for evaluating the roster and picking starters?

Do you think if we had an established starter at QB, Daboll would have called so many passes?   I don't.  I just don't think many OCs call preseason games based on their philosophy.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

It was encouraging to see at least a glimmer of hope that the Bills join the 21st century NFL with an offense that uses the PASSING game to set up the run. Maybe the two double digit losses to the Patriots last year at least gave them a hint that their ball control, run first offense doesn’t cut it in this era of NFL football. Or maybe watching Philadelphia use their 2nd string QB to completely shred Minnesota & Pats defense in consecutive weeks. Or a Super Bowl which had one punt the entire game, as two pass first offenses slugged it out.

But I do have concern that Coach McD will not follow through with this philosophy when the regular season roles around. What gives me pause is his complete disregard for analytics, leading to his complete mismanagement of strategic/game time decisions. So with about 3 minutes to go, down 11 points, 4th and three, his decision, in defiance of all analytics (and common sense) is to punt the ball ( and the game) away. And this in the PRE SEASON! Yikes. Almost as bad, TV “analyst” Tasker never even questions the move, nor did any of the media at post game press conference. Let’s hold a coach who is all about accountability; accountable himself for terrible game time decisions. This wasn’t the first time he has mangled important, game management decisions. And please don’t tell he wanted to give his second string punter some practice 

Man...give it a rest. Wow....no accounting for how fans take a successful season and make it look like dog poo and then take a relatively good showing for the team in their FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME and make it look like a clown show....woof. In other news, the flat earthers have emerged from their dens of solitude.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 6

I’ve made this point multiple times on this board using the indi game and the Jax playoff games as examples and almost nobody wanted to hear it on this board. His game mgmt could be a killer this year. That being said I think the reason he punted was just to get a chance to evaluate people and they weren’t really trying to win. Also how horrible is this new rule with the onside kick? It seems like there is zero chance to even get the ball now. What a horrible way to end exciting comebacks where you always felt like maybe it was a 50 50 chance. That rule needs to go out the window ASAP. 

Well I guessed it. Somebody actually posts that Coach punted so as to evaluate a second string punter who has zero chance to make the roster. So a critical fourth and three situation close to games end is not an ideal situation to test your #1 pick and your offense; it’s far more important to test a punter and guys will not be on the team in 3 weeks. Genius insight

This is the dumbest take I've read on here in a while. 

Maybe the coach has no desire to run the risk of sending pre-season game ONE (of which the final score has zero relevance) to overtime and get someone hurt? 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How much do you sell these hot takes for? I mean the whole point of preseason is to run plays as practice for these guys and to evaluate your talent. If you’re not doing one, you’re doing the other. They already practiced a 4th down at that point- so watch the special teams go out there and do their thing. The punter actually did a good job from what I saw. 

You need to sit sit back and trust the process, man. There’s no reason to think the sky is falling. This regime has made plenty of positive moves thus far to have faith in their plans. Plus- it’s the first preseason game after a season in which we made the playoffs. 

In the words of Aaron Rodgers: R-E-L-A-X.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The preseason tells us nothing about scheme, play-calling, etc.   The preseason isn't about winning.  It's about evaluating players.  

For example, we passed a lot yesterday.  Does that mean Daboll plans on passing a lot in the regular season?  Or does it mean he wanted to get a look at the QBs?   I suggest the latter.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

So you are saying with McCoy in the backfield, last year they should have been passing more to set up the run?

HAHAHAHAHA ... that's rich, and I LIKE Tyrod Taylor. More than that ... point out to me the many, many times other teams went for it on 4th/3. Apparently the entire NFL needs you as the HC.

Keep fighting those windmills, Cervantes.