Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season Game 1

GunnerBill

27 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Based only on this game, I agree with you--and I am someone who has been skeptical about this team's chances this season. They looked well coached and both Peterman and AJ looked like NFL QBs.  Allen looked better than his stat line would indicate. If the team can continue to grow they will do better than expected.

I was overall impressed with the offense, and troubled about the defense. But it's early yet. 

My feelings as well, which confused me because all the talk so far has been about how great our defense is going to be.

I thought for the most part they looked pretty good last night. Biggest disappointments for me were the second half defense and second half OL. I see several people not pleased with Allen's performance, maybe it's just me, but I thought he did pretty well for what he had to work with. Definitely better than I thought he would do in his debut performance. If I didn't watch the game and only looked at his stat line this morning I would have been disappointed, but I saw a lot of good things in him last night. I'm not sure how much time he's going to get with the firsts, if any, in the preseason, but it sure would be nice to see what he could do with them.

27 minutes ago, eball said:

Playing a base D they allowed one scoring drive in the 1st half.  This troubles you?  They also had two potential INTs they missed out on.

For me, no concerns about the starting D, but big concerns about CB depth. Davis and White need to stay healthy...

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The BIG question..........

How did Nate perform when under pressure?   That was a big knock on him last preseason.   

Was there a lot of pressure or did his quick release avoid avoid the pressure? 

Nathan was arguably the best QB on the field last night. I couldn't believe it either.

A.J. took a sack first snap, attributed mostly to the second string O-Line having jitters, but both he and his O-Line recovered quite nicely. If you take him recovering from that into consideration, an argument could be made that he was tied with Nathan in regards to performance, as overcoming adversity is huge in QB evaluations.

Josh had a tough night as he was with the third string, and the drop off in depth from second to third string on our roster was on full display last night. Nothing another year of development and another good draft wont fix though. All that being said, I would LOVE to see how Josh performs with better talent around him... 

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

To go along with your Daboll point and the personnel combinations. It was great to see, in the first preseason game, the guys execute. They were changing personnel groupings, at some points, EVERY DOWN. And there didn't seem to be much confusion on the players' part. They seemed to know what they were doing. Didn't see any timeouts called because guys didn't know where they were supposed to be. Even when the 3rd string guys were on the field.

Kudos to the coaching staff for having them prepared.

All in all, I am as encouraged as I could possibly be after the first preseason game. I know it's only preseason. But I live in Charlotte and only get the Panthers broadcast... and even their broadcast team was talking about how one-sided the first half of that game was in favor of the Bills.

I thought Robert Foster looked great also. He had 2 steps on the Panthers DB's more than once... that one that Allen overthrew by a step sticks out in my mind. The dude can certainly run! Some of my Panthers-fan friends have been talking about him this morning and how good he looked as well.

He was awful. He didn’t track the ball well on the bomb you mentioned he could have caught. Way worse there was another bomb to him that was overthrown by three yards except he stopped running for it then saw it was coming and started again. It likely would have hit him in stride. Coaches are going to kill him in the tape sessions. And I was really pulling for the guy. 

He did get open though. 

Streater was very impressive imo. I think he's going to make the 53 and have a big impact..

Also a good night for Shady McCoys season. He's going to have a career year in this scheme, where teams can't consistently out 8-9 in the box. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think he's our future starting LG.  If we can solidify the RT spot, our line would be young with promise.  Dawkins, Teller, Miller and Groy are all young.

Unless he decides to stay here on the cheap, Miller will most likely leave in FA next offseason.

The only OLmen under contract for 2019 (among those that have potential to start or play significant minutes) are Dawkins, Teller, Ducasse, and Bodine.  It's very likely that the team will have between 60 and 80% turnover on the starting OL from 2018 to 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

How did Nate perform when under pressure?   That was a big knock on him last preseason.   

To be fair to Peterman he looked good. But, to me, he was doing the things we know he can do well. He got the ball out quick and on time. What he didn't do was show he can do the things he couldn't last year, stretch the field and make those longer throw. I thought McCarron had no problem showing he can do that.

I also thought he wasn't putting a lot of mustard on his throws, which in preseason is fine as there is more space and separation. Guys will be able to jump those balls when the regular season starts. To me he looks a lot like he did last preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinatraSinger said:

My feelings as well, which confused me because all the talk so far has been about how great our defense is going to be.

Relax.  The D didn't blitz at all last night and a number of starters on the D-line didn't play.   McD runs a pressure defense and last night was the plainest of vanilla...

2 hours ago, JP's Voice said:

I agree. No advantage to cutting/trading Shaq. I think the concern for Trent Murphy staying on the field is real. The guy still has talent and seems to be doing better as of late. We need depth on the DE... good depth. Unless we can trade him for some depth on the OL, I'm holding on.

I agree on Murphy... groin injuries can linger and get very frustrating

3 hours ago, eball said:

Another thought as I was driving in to work -- I'm sure we'll see some national media who didn't watch the game point to Allen's 9/19 performance as a means of confirming his "accuracy issues in college" are still present.  Which is hilarious, because I only saw one ball that wasn't where it needed to be.  He also showed good touch on the short ones -- something he has been routinely criticized for.

And on cue.... https://www.sbnation.com/2018/8/10/17673128/nfl-preseason-2018-week-1-winners-losers-browns-qbs-baker-mayfield

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not a lot of pressure from Carolina last night, that's why I'm not buying the Peterman ticket just yet.  While he looked good on his first two drives, I'm more of the mind that when teams game plan and show a lot of press and bring pressure, Peterman is not going to look like that.

I'm interested to see which 6 WRs we keep.  

Benjamin is a lock but after that, I wonder how it will shake out.

Boy was Conner McDermott bad. Boetger and Teller held up really well.  I think if you give them a year in an NFL weight and conditioning program you might have some special guys on the interior.

I really liked the play designs by Daboll.  I think Shady is going to eat on that shotgun power run.

As for the linebackers, this game was pretty much base for them and they were just "there".  Not a concern as you never know what coaches will do with them once the season starts.  They may have them on the move a lot in game 1 to hide some of the hesitation and weaknesses.  The good thing about our team is we have the secondary to allow that.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

@GunnerBill what did you think of Tremaine Edmunds’ night? I haven’t seen the game yet because the replay on NFLN isn’t until 10am but I saw others say he had tough debut...

Took a bad angle on the early catch and run - and got lost a couple of times in traffic in the run game. But it was okay. I'd say 6/10 room to improve but by no means a disaster.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Not a lot of pressure from Carolina last night, that's why I'm not buying the Peterman ticket just yet.  While he looked good on his first two drives, I'm more of the mind that when teams game plan and show a lot of press and bring pressure, Peterman is not going to look like that.

I'm interested to see which 6 WRs we keep.  

Benjamin is a lock but after that, I wonder how it will shake out.

Boy was Conner McDermott bad. Boetger and Teller held up really well.  I think if you give them a year in an NFL weight and conditioning program you might have some special guys on the interior.

I really liked the play designs by Daboll.  I think Shady is going to eat on that shotgun power run.

As for the linebackers, this game was pretty much base for them and they were just "there".  Not a concern as you never know what coaches will do with them once the season starts.  They may have them on the move a lot in game 1 to hide some of the hesitation and weaknesses.  The good thing about our team is we have the secondary to allow that.

Where did Boettger line up?

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

To be fair to Peterman he looked good. But, to me, he was doing the things we know he can do well. He got the ball out quick and on time. What he didn't do was show he can do the things he couldn't last year, stretch the field and make those longer throw. I thought McCarron had no problem showing he can do that.

I also thought he wasn't putting a lot of mustard on his throws, which in preseason is fine as there is more space and separation. Guys will be able to jump those balls when the regular season starts. To me he looks a lot like he did last preseason.

And what we know about Peterman is he makes good pre-snap reads and gets the ball out quick.  The problem is he doesn't react to what the D does post-snap. Teams in pre-season are playing vanilla 4-3, cover 2 shell and not disguising much and so it does play to his strengths.  That is not to take anything away from him last night. He sucked even in pre-season last year so this was a step forward in that regard.

• Like (+1) 1