Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season Game 1

GunnerBill

31 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Relax.  The D didn't blitz at all last night and a number of starters on the D-line didn't play.   McD runs a pressure defense and last night was the plainest of vanilla...

Lurker, if you knew me you would know that I am very relaxed.  I understand what you are saying but a team that lives by the blitz will also die by it.  The players should still be able to play in a base defense. I saw many holes for the Carolina RB's.  I saw many receivers running wide open.  If your not blitzing then you should have more people in coverage, where were they?  But most of all I saw a lot of missed tackles both in the first half as well as the second.  I don't care what kind of D you are running they should not be missing tackles.

2 minutes ago, SinatraSinger said:

Lurker, if you knew me you would know that I am very relaxed.  I understand what you are saying but a team that lives by the blitz will also die by it.  The players should still be able to play in a base defense. I saw many holes for the Carolina RB's.  I saw many receivers running wide open.  If your not blitzing then you should have more people in coverage, where were they?  But most of all I saw a lot of missed tackles both in the first half as well as the second.  I don't care what kind of D you are running they should not be missing tackles.

I suspect that wasn't even a base defense they were running last night, which may account for people being out of position and missing assignments.   They played catch rather than attack, and you're right, too many missed tackles was a problem.     But I know they won't come out againt the Ravens like that and just hope the starting 11 can stay healthy for another month...

4 hours ago, eball said:

Another thought as I was driving in to work -- I'm sure we'll see some national media who didn't watch the game point to Allen's 9/19 performance as a means of confirming his "accuracy issues in college" are still present.  Which is hilarious, because I only saw one ball that wasn't where it needed to be.  He also showed good touch on the short ones -- something he has been routinely criticized for.

Absolutely. I’m looking at all sites trying to find the idiot that says it.

Allen looked lethal. I’m looking forward to using him in Madden today, however it’s going to be tough to play with my GIANT Bills boner.

38 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

RayRay deserved his own Good Night.  Bad Night for Corey Coleman, who fell behind through no fault of his own.  The Terrible Night goes to Robert Foster, who showed no heart in failing to lay out for two potential TD passes and giving up on a go route.  Second coming of Da'Rick.

why you don't lay out for a catch, esp. a potential TD when you are on the bubble and an UDFA is mind-boggling.   I'm sure he is hearing it from Daboll today.  Benjamin showed up every play.  If he's healthy, pro-bowl year for him.  He's got the talent and the heart.  

• Like (+1) 1

The young wideouts were BRUTAL! Our hope is 5 foot 9 Ray-Ray - wish Proehl could step up. Reilly dropped a pass as well and hasn't had great practices. Foster....don't even get me started. Zay hopefully works back and brings something to the table. Happy with KB and Holmes. Wish we saw more of Kerley/Streater. Ray Ray put on a show with Allen. 

This group needs to get better at identifying good, young wideouts. The fastest way to improve that group is through the draft and they've dropped the ball so far. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

And what we know about Peterman is he makes good pre-snap reads and gets the ball out quick.  The problem is he doesn't react to what the D does post-snap. Teams in pre-season are playing vanilla 4-3, cover 2 shell and not disguising much and so it does play to his strengths.  That is not to take anything away from him last night. He sucked even in pre-season last year so this was a step forward in that regard.

Yea I thought that as well and he didn't really have a whole lot of pressure, and that will change. I don't recall him sucking that badly in preseason, I thought I remembered him being pretty steady away and the ball was coming out quick and to a target, pretty much what we saw last night. That's why there were calls for him to start but maybe I'm misremembering?

20 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

why you don't lay out for a catch, esp. a potential TD when you are on the bubble and an UDFA is mind-boggling.   I'm sure he is hearing it from Daboll today.  Benjamin showed up every play.  If he's healthy, pro-bowl year for him.  He's got the talent and the heart.  

Maybe Foster can show it next week, we could use the speed.  But I doubt it.

I really hope they handle the QB situation differently in Game #2. 

We all want to see Allen with the First OL protecting him and some better throwing targets.

The coaching staff has always said they have a plan and are approaching Allen's development methodically.

Let's hope that calls for stepping it up, and soon.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

Davis had a bad game..played off the WR's...a huge missed tackle and out of place on three panther outside runs.

Yes, but I’m not worried about him yet. Now, if it continues...

29 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Yea I thought that as well and he didn't really have a whole lot of pressure, and that will change. I don't recall him sucking that badly in preseason, I thought I remembered him being pretty steady away and the ball was coming out quick and to a target, pretty much what we saw last night. That's why there were calls for him to start but maybe I'm misremembering?

He completed no better than 50% of his passes in pre-season last year. 

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

My gosh, there's a chance Lawson and Washington get cut this offseason - what a final draft for Doug Whaley.

As for the receivers, if Corey Coleman can't seize this opportunity, he has no future in the NFL.

Maybe I missed something, but what in the world did Shaq do wrong. He was disruptive on three of the first five plays and looked good whenever I saw him the rest of the game.

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why cut Lawson? He was terrific. Curious he played with the #2's as well. John Murphy floated the idea he was being showcased like Sammy Watkins was last year. Maybe that's what Astro was alluding to?

Yeah, it did sort of look similar to the way they used Watkins in pre-season debut last year. However, unless he can get a 3rd or higher, or package him to get Mack, I don't get it. Murphy is coming off an injury and thrived as part of a three-DE rotation. 

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

My gosh, there's a chance Lawson and Washington get cut this offseason - what a final draft for Doug Whaley.

As for the receivers, if Corey Coleman can't seize this opportunity, he has no future in the NFL.

Lawson looked pretty darn healthy out there last night...and Murphy is already banged up.He isn't going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He was awful. He didn’t track the ball well on the bomb you mentioned he could have caught. Way worse there was another bomb to him that was overthrown by three yards except he stopped running for it then saw it was coming and started again. It likely would have hit him in stride. Coaches are going to kill him in the tape sessions. And I was really pulling for the guy. 

He did get open though. 

Everyone keeps saying he stopped running bc the announcer babbled about how he turned his head to locate the football but when he turned his head he lost no speed at all and kept sprinting. Allen overthrew him twice or his stat line may have read 2 rec, 170 yds, 2 TD’s.  I’ve seen people blame him for Allen throwing the first pass out of bounds and people claim he stopped running when he clearly didn’t.  

Im not some crazy Foster homer. He has very suspect hands and hasn’t proven to me he can run the full route tree but come on people. I know we all want Allen to be GREAT but let’s be objective. 

Edited by SoCoBills

26 minutes ago, SoCoBills said:

Everyone keeps saying he stopped running bc the announcer babbled about how he turned his head to locate the football but when he turned his head he lost no speed at all and kept sprinting. Allen overthrew him twice or his stat line may have read 2 rec, 170 yds, 2 TD’s.  I’ve seen people blame him for Allen throwing the first pass out of bounds and people claim he stopped running when he clearly didn’t.  

Im not some crazy Foster homer. He has very suspect hands and hasn’t proven to me he can run the full route tree but come on people. I know we all want Allen to be GREAT but let’s be objective. 

No. You're wrong. The first bomb to Foster was OB. The second bomb to Foster was the one you're referring to. I thought Foster looked too early and could have caught it and that was the one Tasker was talking about slowing down and not looking back which wasn't great commentary. It was the THIRD bomb when he completely stopped running. That is inarguable. That play started at 2:11 left. He would have caught it totally on the run in the endzone and it would have been the top highlight play in the entire league. You have to see the replay that they iso just Foster. It was brutal. He just figured Josh wouldn't throw it because he scrambled left but he did. And it was an amazing pass. 

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No. You're wrong. The first bomb to Foster was OB. The second bomb to Foster was the one you're referring to. I thought Foster looked too early and could have caught it and that was the one Tasker was talking about slowing down and not looking back which wasn't great commentary. It was the THIRD bomb when he completely stopped running. That is inarguable. That play started at 2:11 left. He would have caught it totally on the run in the endzone and it would have been the top highlight play in the entire league. You have to see the replay that they iso just Foster. It was brutal. He just figured Josh wouldn't throw it because he scrambled left but he did. And it was an amazing pass. 

Second one he could have layed out and at least tried to catch it. Dunno whether to chalk that up to lack of experience at wideout or something more worrisome. He looked disinterested out there. 

• Like (+1) 1