Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season Game 1

GunnerBill

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Funny that you say that because it’s exactly what I wanted to add. 

I’d also add Mike Love to the “good night” section.

I think all that is right... but I try and have 5 per section it is enough of an essay already :)

34 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Funny that you say that because it’s exactly what I wanted to add. 

I’d also add Mike Love to the “good night” section.

Mike Love has great prototypical size.  He certainly looks the part.

Good night: Wyatt Teller--he was knocking people around 

Bad night: backup DL.

1 minute ago, hemma said:

I wonder if Ike was moved during the game.  You say RT, but I thought I saw him at RG.

I guess if true, that versatility makes it even better for him.

Tough to go wrong with Iowa OL.  

I also thought he was at RG--looked like Deondre Wesley at RT

Another thought as I was driving in to work -- I'm sure we'll see some national media who didn't watch the game point to Allen's 9/19 performance as a means of confirming his "accuracy issues in college" are still present.  Which is hilarious, because I only saw one ball that wasn't where it needed to be.  He also showed good touch on the short ones -- something he has been routinely criticized for.

Edited by eball

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Thought Teller had a great night too. He played with that mean streak. It’s tough to judge OL in practice IMO. It was a big night for a guy that we haven’t heard a ton from at camp.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

The BIG question..........

How did Nate perform when under pressure?   That was a big knock on him last preseason.   

Was there a lot of pressure or did his quick release avoid avoid the pressure? 

He played great. I thought it was a combination of throwing on time and a good performance from the starting OL. That was by miles the best that he has looked in a Bills uniform and the 2nd best performance (behind the game against Clemson) that I have seen from him. Let’s hope it is growth.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

That punter was good. Not that people really get to hung up on that. I have never really liked Schmidt and feel like he leaves a lot of extra field position on the table. I want to see more of the other guy, but at the same time don’t want us to be punting more...

oh come on.  Schmidt's corner kicks won a couple games last year.  

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

May well be that he played a bit of both and mixed it with both the 2s and 3s. 

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Thought Teller had a great night too. He played with that mean streak. It’s tough to judge OL in practice IMO. It was a big night for a guy that we haven’t heard a ton from at camp.

I think he's our future starting LG.  If we can solidify the RT spot, our line would be young with promise.  Dawkins, Teller, Miller and Groy are all young.

• Like (+1) 2

@GunnerBill what did you think of Tremaine Edmunds’ night? I haven’t seen the game yet because the replay on NFLN isn’t until 10am but I saw others say he had tough debut...

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He played great. I thought it was a combination of throwing on time and a good performance from the starting OL. That was by miles the best that he has looked in a Bills uniform and the 2nd best performance (behind the game against Clemson) that I have seen from him. Let’s hope it is growth.

Realistic optimism on him is he’s your long-term, reliable backup. He’s kind of perfect for that role if he shows he can play. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why cut Lawson? He was terrific. Curious he played with the #2's as well. John Murphy floated the idea he was being showcased like Sammy Watkins was last year. Maybe that's what Astro was alluding to?

I agree. No advantage to cutting/trading Shaq. I think the concern for Trent Murphy staying on the field is real. The guy still has talent and seems to be doing better as of late. We need depth on the DE... good depth. Unless we can trade him for some depth on the OL, I'm holding on.

2 hours ago, eball said:

I just watched the condensed game and I agree with just about everything mentioned.  In particular, I was impressed with Murphy and all three QBs.  I felt sorry for Allen that he didn't get a chance with real NFL players but he certainly made some plays.

Foster is done.

Edit:  and is it just me, or did the shotgun snaps from the C Allen was playing with take forever to get back to him?

Agreed. How can they truly evaluate him when he is playing with these guys. Would love to see him get a shot with KB, ZJ, and CC this week.

• Like (+1) 1

I think that this is an excellent assessment.  I agree.   I came away knowing that we are not the 2 or 3 win team some of the so called experts having been stating we are.  The Bills will be able to compete.  I think the first 2 units showed discipline and competence and were well prepared.  I hated watching the second half and wonder about our depth at many positions.   Like others have said I would love to see Josh Allen play with more competent players.   It didn't seem he was put in a position to show his true ability.  Basically I don't think he was put in a postion to succeed like Nate and AJ were.

44 minutes ago, SinatraSinger said:

I think that this is an excellent assessment.  I agree.   I came away knowing that we are not the 2 or 3 win team some of the so called experts having been stating we are.  The Bills will be able to compete.  I think the first 2 units showed discipline and competence and were well prepared.  I hated watching the second half and wonder about our depth at many positions.   Like others have said I would love to see Josh Allen play with more competent players.   It didn't seem he was put in a position to show his true ability.  Basically I don't think he was put in a postion to succeed like Nate and AJ were.

Based only on this game, I agree with you--and I am someone who has been skeptical about this team's chances this season. They looked well coached and both Peterman and AJ looked like NFL QBs.  Allen looked better than his stat line would indicate. If the team can continue to grow they will do better than expected.

I was overall impressed with the offense, and troubled about the defense. But it's early yet. 

Edited by Dr. K

10 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Based only on this game, I agree with you--and I am someone who has been skeptical about this team's chances this season. They looked well coached and both Peterman and AJ looked like NFL QBs.  Allen looked better than his stat line would indicate. If the team can continue to grow they will do better than expected.

I was overall impressed with the offense, and troubled about the defense. But it's early yet. 

Playing a base D they allowed one scoring drive in the 1st half.  This troubles you?  They also had two potential INTs they missed out on.