This new helmet rule will destroy the NFL.

njbuff

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It’s rule that is needed to save the game but in order to call it correctly, more referees need to be added into the booth with more camera angles to make the proper calls.  Guys on the field aren’t going to be able to call this correctly imo 

I agree with this. Also, I think that over time players will adapt, as well. 

I don't watch football because of and for its violence. It may be a physical sport, but waiting for someone to get blown up is not why I watch. There's so much more to football than just the physical, violent aspect. Its a chess match. Its a metaphor for life. Its supreme atheletes. Its beating the man in front of you. Etc.

I'm sure there are plenty that watch just for the violence, but thats not me. And I suspect I'm not alone. Just like NASCAR, many watch it just for the wrecks, but there are plenty that watch it for much more than that. When I "want" violence, I watch UFC, boxing, etc. I like a good hockey fight, but there arw many other aspects of hockey that i enjoy more.

If anything, doing nothing to help preserve the brains and lives of the players will kill football before a helmet rule will. More and more, kids are staying away from football, and eventually, the talent pool will dry up. Theres already a LOT more money in playing basketball or baseball professionally, and if you add the risk of severe brain damage or paralysis, why would you choose football? 

3 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Helmet rule--- sucks!

Kickoff rule--- sucks!

Catch rule-- they are still trying to fix this. Last year was horrible.

Bottom line: Don't let the refs subjective opinions kill a game. Any rule that puts the game in the refs hands needs to be killed immediately.

Lets' get back to football.

I totally agree about the refs, especially seeing the Pats* benefit from referees subjective calls (PI, Holding, etc.) But as I mentioned to a poster last night, hopefully, the helmet rule will alter how players tackle; whereas, the catch rule is absolutely related to referee perception (subjectivity). In other words, the catching situation does not involve altering how players play and is at the discretion of officials. The aim of the helmet rule is to alter how players play. Let's see how it develops. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I seen the proper application of this rule in a few games and I like it.

In one game the player was wrapped up and a late hit by Shamarko Thomas was totally unnecessary.

15 yards and an ejection just what he deserved..

they will apply it criminally inconsistently

and you will sit there watching 24 replays that are so 100% frickin obvious to any objective viewer and the folks at Replay Central will go against it

the NCAA has made a total garbage hash of it, kicking out and suspending for the worst of reasons, then ignoring clear helmet to helmet contact the next play

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

1. The NFL needs to stop trying to make a VIOLENT sport into a flag football league.

2. The violence is what draws people to the game since it began and everyone who plays it knows the risk.

This is nonsense.

Number one is called the "false equivalence fallacy". 

Number two is a double dose of logical fallacies, the sweeping generalization fallacy and the appeal to popularity fallacy.

Oh, and capitalizing words doesn't make an argument coherent or profound. 

I think the biggest problem with the change is that its not reviewable. And the league office and refs will absolutely use this to influence and dictate outcomes of games imo. Theyve been doing it for years and giving them more power in any given play makes it even more so imo.

Edited by BillsSbSoon

9 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

I think the biggest problem with the change is that its not reviewable. And the league office and refs will absolutely use this to influence and dictate outcomes of games imo. Theyve been doing it for years and giving them more power in any given play makes it even more so imo.

so are fans on here thinking the Bills will get a fair shake from the refs and replay goons on the new rules?

they wouldn't even enforce a man unable to tell which huddle he could go back to for the top teams in the playoffs....

i dont mind the inconsistency, they do what they can, but it seems worse when Collinsworth crows how "THEY ALWAYS GET IT RIGHT, YOU WILL GET CALLED FOR THAT EVERY TIME IN FOOTBALL!!"

I think I like the rule...but it needs help.

We saw it called twice. The 1st time we saw it called on Carolina.....we saw how unnecessary that hit was. Dives in with the crown on a downed player right in the spine. That needs to go. 

The second time when it was called on us....the 1st defender was having trouble tackling still in the process of going down.....so our defender is running in and the runner begins to drop. His facemask is up....the runners helmet was down. The runner actually protected himself with the crown of his helmet.

I think you could make the case that the panther had fault in it too. Its just a very hard process to call on the field. 

There should be booth reviews on stuff like that. They radio down the ref and tell them to pick up the flag...or drop one.