This new helmet rule will destroy the NFL.

njbuff

The NFL needs to stop trying to make a VIOLENT sport into a flag football league.

We watch the NFL for its violence and I hate to tell the powers that be this................... but, you will NEVER take injuries out of the game and to continue to tame the defense is downright deplorable.

If you are a kid who wants to be a football player, why would you wanna be a defensive player knowing that whatever you do you will get flagged for it.

News flash...............

Proper tackling technique unfortunately leads with the helmet no matter what. 

The NFL had better realize this new NFL rule will really turn off the fans this year and do away with it this pre-season.

And if there are unnecessary violent hits, they need to stop with the 15 yard penalties and fine both the player and team at the end of the day.

The violence is what draws people to the game since it began and everyone who plays it knows the risk. AND THEY PLAY ANYWAY.

There's a thread on this topic already.

On Thursday before the game, Mark Kelso elaborated at length about how these changes are absolutely necessary to preserve the game, long term.

As he put it, "Kids are going to stop playing football" and that is already happening around the country.

The head shot has to be taken out of the game at the NFL level, or else the sport won't be around in another 25 years.

• Like (+1) 3

Sorry, I didn't see the thread.

But, there will ALWAYS be head shots because human don't jump. run or dive perfectly.

Like I said, no matter how hard you try, you will never take head shots out of the game. 

It'll need to become flag football for that, which means no one will watch. Can't have it both ways.

Again, I apologize for not seeing a thread on this subject already.

Reading is my friend. ?

3 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Helmet rule--- sucks!

Kickoff rule--- sucks!

Catch rule-- they are still trying to fix this. Last year was horrible.

Bottom line: Don't let the refs subjective opinions kill a game. Any rule that puts the game in the refs hands needs to be killed immediately.

Lets' get back to football.

I agree.  And good football is teaching proper tackling technique, rather than using your helmet as a guided missile.

• Like (+1) 1

I seen the proper application of this rule in a few games and I like it.

In one game the player was wrapped up and a late hit by Shamarko Thomas was totally unnecessary.

15 yards and an ejection just what he deserved..

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

You're wrong about tackling technique, and you're wrong about the details of the rule. But dont let ignorance stop you from crying about it.

• Like (+1) 2

My concern with it is that, as all judgment calls, there are going to be WAY too many of these calls that they just plain get wrong, and they can change the outcome of a game. I saw one last night, where a guy hit him, with his facemask (head up) and was called a penalty. The plays happen so fast, it's hard to see without the benefit of slow-motion replay. This rule is going to change games with bad calls. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

The NFL needs to stop trying to make a VIOLENT sport into a flag football league.

We watch the NFL for its violence and I hate to tell the powers that be this................... but, you will NEVER take injuries out of the game and to continue to tame the defense is downright deplorable.

If you are a kid who wants to be a football player, why would you wanna be a defensive player knowing that whatever you do you will get flagged for it.

The NFL had better realize this new NFL rule will really turn off the fans this year and do away with it this pre-season.

And if there are unnecessary violent hits, they need to stop with the 15 yard penalties and fine both the player and team at the end of the day.

The violence is what draws people to the game since it began and everyone who plays it knows the risk. AND THEY PLAY ANYWAY.

I was taught to keep my eyes on the ball carrier while hitting with one shoulder or the other, wrapping up with my arms, and driving the player to the dirt.  My high school coaches said this was both safer and more effective.  And this was back in the 1970s.  We were still both violent and - one year - undefeated.   That season only two or three teams even scored on us.  Our 'tamed' tackling technique didn't seem to hurt our defense.  

I'm not sure how safer tackling techniques ruin football.  I worry about the judgment calls but agree with Kelso that the basic idea is right.  If we don't do something to reduce concussions, more and more athletic kids will chose other sports, and that will ruin football.  

• Like (+1) 2

It’s rule that is needed to save the game but in order to call it correctly, more referees need to be added into the booth with more camera angles to make the proper calls.  Guys on the field aren’t going to be able to call this correctly imo 

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Show of hands: who is actually going to stop watching the NFL because of this? I’m guessing nobody will. 

As someone who has hated the Human Missile BS since it became widespread in the 1990s, this rule is one of the first moves the NFL has made that actually makes me want to watch MORE.

• Like (+1) 2

I thought the call against Stanford last night was wrong. IMO, the receiver lowered his head and hit the defender in the face mask with the crown of his helmet.

For obvious head hunting I have no problem with ejections, suspensions and fines. Last night was none of those.