Jump to content
njbuff

This new helmet rule will destroy the NFL.

Recommended Posts

The NFL needs to stop trying to make a VIOLENT sport into a flag football league.

 

We watch the NFL for its violence and I hate to tell the powers that be this................... but, you will NEVER take injuries out of the game and to continue to tame the defense is downright deplorable.

 

If you are a kid who wants to be a football player, why would you wanna be a defensive player knowing that whatever you do you will get flagged for it.

 

News flash...............

 

Proper tackling technique unfortunately leads with the helmet no matter what. 

 

The NFL had better realize this new NFL rule will really turn off the fans this year and do away with it this pre-season.

 

And if there are unnecessary violent hits, they need to stop with the 15 yard penalties and fine both the player and team at the end of the day.

 

The violence is what draws people to the game since it began and everyone who plays it knows the risk. AND THEY PLAY ANYWAY.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a thread on this topic already.

 

On Thursday before the game, Mark Kelso elaborated at length about how these changes are absolutely necessary to preserve the game, long term.

 

As he put it, "Kids are going to stop playing football" and that is already happening around the country.

 

The head shot has to be taken out of the game at the NFL level, or else the sport won't be around in another 25 years.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I didn't see the thread.

 

But, there will ALWAYS be head shots because human don't jump. run or dive perfectly.

 

Like I said, no matter how hard you try, you will never take head shots out of the game. 

 

It'll need to become flag football for that, which means no one will watch. Can't have it both ways.

 

Again, I apologize for not seeing a thread on this subject already.

 

Reading is my friend. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a head to head last night.      Both heads were up........oh well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Helmet rule--- sucks!

Kickoff rule--- sucks!

Catch rule-- they are still trying to fix this. Last year was horrible.

 

Bottom line: Don't let the refs subjective opinions kill a game. Any rule that puts the game in the refs hands needs to be killed immediately.

Lets' get back to football.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Helmet rule--- sucks!

Kickoff rule--- sucks!

Catch rule-- they are still trying to fix this. Last year was horrible.

 

Bottom line: Don't let the refs subjective opinions kill a game. Any rule that puts the game in the refs hands needs to be killed immediately.

Lets' get back to football.

 

I agree.  And good football is teaching proper tackling technique, rather than using your helmet as a guided missile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seen the proper application of this rule in a few games and I like it.

 

In one game the player was wrapped up and a late hit by Shamarko Thomas was totally unnecessary.

 

15 yards and an ejection just what he deserved..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, njbuff said:

 

News flash...............

 

Proper tackling technique unfortunately leads with the helmet no matter what. 

 

 

You're wrong about tackling technique, and you're wrong about the details of the rule. But dont let ignorance stop you from crying about it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern with it is that, as all judgment calls, there are going to be WAY too many of these calls that they just plain get wrong, and they can change the outcome of a game. I saw one last night, where a guy hit him, with his facemask (head up) and was called a penalty. The plays happen so fast, it's hard to see without the benefit of slow-motion replay. This rule is going to change games with bad calls. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, njbuff said:

The NFL needs to stop trying to make a VIOLENT sport into a flag football league.

 

We watch the NFL for its violence and I hate to tell the powers that be this................... but, you will NEVER take injuries out of the game and to continue to tame the defense is downright deplorable.

 

If you are a kid who wants to be a football player, why would you wanna be a defensive player knowing that whatever you do you will get flagged for it.

 

News flash...............

 

Proper tackling technique unfortunately leads with the helmet no matter what. 

 

The NFL had better realize this new NFL rule will really turn off the fans this year and do away with it this pre-season.

 

And if there are unnecessary violent hits, they need to stop with the 15 yard penalties and fine both the player and team at the end of the day.

 

The violence is what draws people to the game since it began and everyone who plays it knows the risk. AND THEY PLAY ANYWAY.

 

I was taught to keep my eyes on the ball carrier while hitting with one shoulder or the other, wrapping up with my arms, and driving the player to the dirt.  My high school coaches said this was both safer and more effective.  And this was back in the 1970s.  We were still both violent and - one year - undefeated.   That season only two or three teams even scored on us.  Our 'tamed' tackling technique didn't seem to hurt our defense.  

 

I'm not sure how safer tackling techniques ruin football.  I worry about the judgment calls but agree with Kelso that the basic idea is right.  If we don't do something to reduce concussions, more and more athletic kids will chose other sports, and that will ruin football.  

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, njbuff said:

 

We watch the NFL for its violence

 

Speak for yourself!  This is what you call a false presumption.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget... it's the preseason for new rules too.

 

But the last Carolina TD resulted from this rule being applied improperly.  Hopefully they figure it out

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Show of hands: who is actually going to stop watching the NFL because of this? I’m guessing nobody will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s rule that is needed to save the game but in order to call it correctly, more referees need to be added into the booth with more camera angles to make the proper calls.  Guys on the field aren’t going to be able to call this correctly imo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Show of hands: who is actually going to stop watching the NFL because of this? I’m guessing nobody will. 

 

As someone who has hated the Human Missile BS since it became widespread in the 1990s, this rule is one of the first moves the NFL has made that actually makes me want to watch MORE.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the call against Stanford last night was wrong. IMO, the receiver lowered his head and hit the defender in the face mask with the crown of his helmet.

 

For obvious head hunting I have no problem with ejections, suspensions and fines. Last night was none of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw the replay of the Colts/Seahawks game, and the first ejection under the new rule. Good call, that guy just dove, head down and crown-first, into another player. Couldnt even see what he was hitting. Get that **** out of the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the rule. You should never lead with the head. The only problem will be enforcement of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this rule only callable on the field? 

 

That "ref" in NY City that helped the Pats last year with all those crucial catch/non-catch decisions last season can't call these, can he? 

 

I sure hope not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It’s rule that is needed to save the game but in order to call it correctly, more referees need to be added into the booth with more camera angles to make the proper calls.  Guys on the field aren’t going to be able to call this correctly imo 

 

I agree with this. Also, I think that over time players will adapt, as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't watch football because of and for its violence. It may be a physical sport, but waiting for someone to get blown up is not why I watch. There's so much more to football than just the physical, violent aspect. Its a chess match. Its a metaphor for life. Its supreme atheletes. Its beating the man in front of you. Etc.

 

I'm sure there are plenty that watch just for the violence, but thats not me. And I suspect I'm not alone. Just like NASCAR, many watch it just for the wrecks, but there are plenty that watch it for much more than that. When I "want" violence, I watch UFC, boxing, etc. I like a good hockey fight, but there arw many other aspects of hockey that i enjoy more.

 

If anything, doing nothing to help preserve the brains and lives of the players will kill football before a helmet rule will. More and more, kids are staying away from football, and eventually, the talent pool will dry up. Theres already a LOT more money in playing basketball or baseball professionally, and if you add the risk of severe brain damage or paralysis, why would you choose football? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Helmet rule--- sucks!

Kickoff rule--- sucks!

Catch rule-- they are still trying to fix this. Last year was horrible.

 

Bottom line: Don't let the refs subjective opinions kill a game. Any rule that puts the game in the refs hands needs to be killed immediately.

Lets' get back to football.

 

 

I totally agree about the refs, especially seeing the Pats* benefit from referees subjective calls (PI, Holding, etc.) But as I mentioned to a poster last night, hopefully, the helmet rule will alter how players tackle; whereas, the catch rule is absolutely related to referee perception (subjectivity). In other words, the catching situation does not involve altering how players play and is at the discretion of officials. The aim of the helmet rule is to alter how players play. Let's see how it develops. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I seen the proper application of this rule in a few games and I like it.

 

In one game the player was wrapped up and a late hit by Shamarko Thomas was totally unnecessary.

 

15 yards and an ejection just what he deserved..

 

 

they will apply it criminally inconsistently

 

and you will sit there watching 24 replays that are so 100% frickin obvious to any objective viewer and the folks at Replay Central will go against it

 

 

 

the NCAA has made a total garbage hash of it, kicking out and suspending for the worst of reasons, then ignoring clear helmet to helmet contact the next play

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, njbuff said:

1. The NFL needs to stop trying to make a VIOLENT sport into a flag football league.

 

2. The violence is what draws people to the game since it began and everyone who plays it knows the risk.

 

This is nonsense.

Number one is called the "false equivalence fallacy". 

Number two is a double dose of logical fallacies, the sweeping generalization fallacy and the appeal to popularity fallacy.

 

Oh, and capitalizing words doesn't make an argument coherent or profound. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×