Observations from the Carolina preseason game

KingBoots8

7 hours ago, CLTbills said:

It was slightly behind. But that's a catch you have to make at the NFL level. Not every single pass is going to be dead on the money. That pick is absolutely on Ivory. And I am 100% NOT a Peterman fan. But No way can I blame that on him.

IDK, it was a 10 yard throw with Ivory cutting across field at full speed, and the pass was behind him. The announcer called it as "through Ivory's hands," but it wasn't. He just got a hand on it. It might have been catchable, but a poorly thrown ball. Would love to see a slo-mo on it.

14 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

IDK, it was a 10 yard throw with Ivory cutting across field at full speed, and the pass was behind him. The announcer called it as "through Ivory's hands," but it wasn't. He just got a hand on it. It might have been catchable, but a poorly thrown ball. Would love to see a slo-mo on it.

I'm no huge Peterman fan, but I totally disagree.  That ball was on the money right in his face, hands up.  That drop/pick is all on Ivory.

ivorypick.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

The most impressive thing, I thought, was how all three quarterbacks got the ball away quickly.  Haven't seen that in years.

Foster needs to go.  He seems rather clueless out there and would have likely had a long touchdown reception if he hadn't stop running while the ball was in the air.  His rep clearly follows him.

14 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

2. Peterman looked pretty confident both on the field and sideline. Came out and played well. I think training camp has really helped him compared to last year. The pick wasn’t on him- the ball may not have been a perfect throw but it was certainly catchable.

Sorry but this board is making excuses in a hypocritical way.  Last year, TT threw a TD pass to Clay that hit him directly in both hands slightly behind him, but Clay didnt catch it and was intercepted.  This board piled on TT and put ALL blame on him and it was not nearly as bad of a throw as NP had last night on that pick.

YES, you still want to see your RB haul that in, but it was late, high, and behind the RB moving away from where the pass was thrown, and those passes are dangerous because they often are tipped up into a very intereceptable ball.  Everyone ignoring it and giving him a pass as if its not his fault are just making excuses for him.  It was BOTH his fault and the RB, it was not a good pass nor was it on time.  

He looked good, although with a lot of air on the ball, the first drive.  Those air mail throws are easier to pick off come regular season time when youre not facing vanilla D's in the first preseason game, so they still make me worry about if he can play with any consistency as a starter.  NP gets to take his praise for what he did well, but he also gets to own his mistakes.  And that pass was a definite mistake being late, poorly placed, and behind his target.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

I'm no huge Peterman fan, but I totally disagree.  That ball was on the money right in his face, hands up.  That drop/pick is all on Ivory.

ivorypick.JPG

You can't tell from the angle in that screen shot. The ball was behind him. He could have caught it but it was still behind him. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You can't tell from the angle in that screen shot. The ball was behind him. He could have caught it but it was still behind him. 

If his shoulders were turned more the other way, I'd agree with you, but they're not.

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sorry but this board is making excuses in a hypocritical way.  Last year, TT threw a TD pass to Clay that hit him directly in both hands slightly behind him, but Clay didnt catch it and was intercepted.  This board piled on TT and put ALL blame on him and it was not nearly as bad of a throw as NP had last night on that pick.

YES, you still want to see your RB haul that in, but it was late, high, and behind the RB moving away from where the pass was thrown, and those passes are dangerous because they ofter are tipped up into a very intereceptable ball.  Everyone ignoring it and giving him a pass as if its not his fault are just making excuses for him.  It was BOTH his fault and the RB, it was not a good pass nor was it on time.  

He looked good, although with a lot of air on the ball, the first drive.  Those air mail throws are easier to pick off come regular season time when youre not facing vanilla D's in the first preseason game, so they still make me worry about if he can play with any consistency as a starter.  NP gets to take his praise for what he did well, but he also gets to own his mistakes.  And that pass was a definite mistake being late, poorly placed, and behind his target.

Maybe there’s a better angle on the cameras, but from my vantage point it looked alright. If I’m wrong I’ll certainly own it.

That being said, I feel TT got thrown under the bus a few times. I actually liked him in spite of some of his shortcomings and I’m not a Peterman apologist. I have no problem calling him out for a lame duck pass- it’s just that from my angle it didn’t look so bad. If it was behind him I hope he learns from this and has a good remaining preseason to prove himself.

37 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

ivorypick.JPG

Like I said, he got a hand on it, but that's not "on the money." 

Be that as it may, Peterman did have a good game last yesterday, one errant throw notwithstanding. I do still maintain that while all three QBs had good games, took advantage of their situations, and played to their strengths, I think they also, all three, showed their weaknesses, as well. Although, probably Peterman least of the three.

8 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Maybe there’s a better angle on the cameras, but from my vantage point it looked alright. If I’m wrong I’ll certainly own it.

That being said, I feel TT got thrown under the bus a few times. I actually liked him in spite of some of his shortcomings and I’m not a Peterman apologist. I have no problem calling him out for a lame duck pass- it’s just that from my angle it didn’t look so bad. If it was behind him I hope he learns from this and has a good remaining preseason to prove himself.

I didnt think it was that bad when I was streaming it last night either, but when I watched the game I recorded off of NFL network on my big screen and they showed the angle from behind the QB, you can see how off the pass was.  It was late, high, and behind the RB.  Again, you like to see your RB find a way to haul it in, but its a tough pass catch and was not a good pass.  

He deserves kudos for the first drive, but he doesnt get to escape blame on that INT where he was at least half at fault, but honestly more like 75% him as its a hard pass to catch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wiskibreth said:

ivorypick.JPG

This is not even close to a good angle to see the play.  I recorded the game on NFL network and this morning during the replay they showed the angle from behind the QB where you can see exactly where the ball is.  It was behind him, high, and late.  It was mostly on NP...both are to blame, but the pass was bad and more on NP.

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is not even close to a good angle to see the play.  I recorded the game on NFL network and this morning during the replay they showed the angle from behind the QB where you can see exactly where the ball is.  It was behind him, high, and late.  It was mostly on NP...both are to blame, but the pass was bad and more on NP.

I guess I'll see for myself when I watch the rebroadcast on the DVR.

10 hours ago, eball said:

Agreed, but I hope Murphy makes the team.  He's good.

He is very good, I think our RB depth chart is Shady - Ivory - Cadet - Murphy - Dimarco (FB)

That's a deep RB group and every one of them are good catching too. 

I think Shady has a career year 

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didnt think it was that bad when I was streaming it last night either, but when I watched the game I recorded off of NFL network on my big screen and they showed the angle from behind the QB, you can see how off the pass was.  It was late, high, and behind the RB.  Again, you like to see your RB find a way to haul it in, but its a tough pass catch and was not a good pass.  

He deserves kudos for the first drive, but he doesnt get to escape blame on that INT where he was at least half at fault, but honestly more like 75% him as its a hard pass to catch.

I just watched it.  It was behind him, he got his hands back to catch it but it bounced off the top of his shoulder pads.

It was bad luck it bounced into an interception, Ivory has pretty good hands for a RB. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I just watched it.  It was behind him, he got his hands back to catch it but it bounced off the top of his shoulder pads.

It was bad luck it bounced into an interception, Ivory has pretty good hands for a RB. 

He does. He really is a good compliment to Shady, IMO, and Murphy adds another dimension. I feel a little bit better about our offense in general after yesterday.