Observations from the Carolina preseason game

KingBoots8

I just got back to the 607 area - finally got to take my dad out to his first professional football game (even if it was preseason). We had a good time, and we were on the 50 yard line (13 rows back behind the benches). I tried to make some observations on the team and the game as a whole.

1. Peterman and McCaron seemed to be in good communication on the sidelines before and during the first half. Josh was involved sometimes but looked to be spending lots of the first half with his receivers and o-line on the third string. Could see all 3 working together during the 2nd half (mostly McCaron talking with Allen from what I saw)

2. Peterman looked pretty confident both on the field and sideline. Came out and played well. I think training camp has really helped him compared to last year. The pick wasn’t on him- the ball may not have been a perfect throw but it was certainly catchable.

3: McCoy was hard to find a bit tonight. Obviously he didn’t take any snaps but I think he stayed tucked away most of the game.

4. Murphy earned his spot I believe. He played all over the place and seemed to be involved quite a bit. Excellent running and a few good catches too. I think he’s our RB3 for sure at this point- especially if he has one or two more preseason games like this.

5. Edmunds and KB are giants. They’re about the same height and frame (although Edmunds seems to have a little bit more mass on him). Edmunds played well for a rookie I thought. A few missteps but not a bad debut for him.

6. Harrison Phillips is going to be a star- he’s absolutely the Next Kyle Williams for this team and I hope he soaks in as much advise as Kyle throws at him. Seemed to be pretty close before the game going over a few things. Great showing for him.

7. McCaron can absolutely manage the offense. I definitely want to see him with the 1s but she showed some resilience bouncing back from the early sack. I don’t think he and Peterman have all that much space between them, and the coaches have put them both in a position to control their own destiny at this point. That being said, I hope after the next game they have the starter pinned down so they can get the most reps with the 1s.

8. The crowd was PUMPED for Allen to take the field, and the first play/pass going as deep as he did got people on their feet. He has an absolute canon for an arm, and his release is really quick. The TD pass was like lightning- I couldn’t even tell he made that catch right away. His physical gifts are great, and we have a lot to be excited for when his time comes. He also seemed to stay poised and sensed pressure fairly well in the pocket. It wasn’t always pretty, but not bad for the first game.

9. That being said, Allen made some rookie mistakes. People may look back at the 4th down and wonder what he was thinking. I’m not too worried- let him attempt these kinds of plays now when we don’t have anything on the line. Same with the 2-pt conversion. Was bummed we didn’t get either play, but glad to see the coaches let him roll with it.

10. I also think Allen needs time with the 2s. He seemed to need to make a lot of his own magic happen, and only had a little help from McCloud (who played admirably well on 3rd string- I think he may have a spot if he plays at least 1 more good game). I’m not sure if his first pass would have been different with the 2s, but the bomb to Foster which would have been a TD likely would have. I just want to see more people around him who can hold onto his passes. 

11.Foster had a rough game. Seemed like he had some miscommunications and definitely gave up on a play or two. I hope he has a better game next week, but tonight was not a good night.

12. I can’t remember his name, but #51 also he a rough night it seemed. I believe he blew his coverage on one touchdown, and had one or two bad decisions. The helmet penalty I believe was in him, and he committed a holding penalty on 3rd and long early in the 2nd half that would have killed a TD drive for Carolina. Definitely a rough night for him too. He also easily has some of the biggest arms I have seen on anyone. From the 13th row it was obvious he was a freaking monster. Definitely looked the part at least- maybe he turns it around next week.

13. Seemed like a good preseason crowd. Bit more calm than I’m used to, but good size considering. Lots of people there to see Allen for sure. Didnt see any blantant stupidity either, so a big plus on that lol.

All in all, a great time. Sucks we didn’t win but there’s lots to take away and to look forward to. Hope my writing wasn’t too boring to scroll through.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Great post!  Thanks for the info.  Nice breakdown of the individuals we wanna see and how well they did as a team.  Being in Okinawa, these are the things I look for when it's difficult to see the game for myself.  This is my last football season overseas, then I can finally come back to a normal football schedule. 

• Like (+1) 1

That pick was behind Ivory. I put that on Nate.

Allen's arm is a cannon, though! 

I think all three QBs played pretty well, but they also each showed their weaknesses, IMO.

1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ivory will be lucky to be on the roster by Monday

Disagree.

4 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Ivory is extremely good. Not a chance he is cut. He's the perfect compliment to Shady and has been one of the top 2-3 hardest runners in the entire league. The only question mark is whether his legs are shot and one play in TC and even one tonight, which was terrific, showed it's not. He's going to be a valuable player this year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Ivory is extremely good. Not a chance he is cut. He's the perfect compliment to Shady and has been one of the top 2-3 hardest runners in the entire league. The only question mark is whether his legs are shot and one play in TC and even one tonight, which was terrific, showed it's not. He's going to be a valuable player this year. 

Agreed, but I hope Murphy makes the team.  He's good.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

3: McCoy was hard to find a bit tonight. Obviously he didn’t take any snaps but I think he stayed tucked away most of the game.

Mccoy was right on the sideline for a lot of the game had jersey on and red sleeves. He stopped and talked to a bunch of fans on the way into tunnel for half time. 

I was at the game and I am really surprised no one is mentioning how horrible Vontae Davis  played. IMO. and I was watching him after he blew a tackle on, I think, the

third play of the game, he stunk it up. After that, he made one good tackle but his guys were beating him regularly. So, other than not being able to cover his man and not  being able to tackle, he "played great". Ugh.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Murphy played great, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Ivory has plenty to offer, and last night was a showcase of QB play for most of the first half. Let’s get through preseason before we get too excited for him.

22 minutes ago, richNjoisy said:

I was at the game and I am really surprised no one is mentioning how horrible Vontae Davis  played. IMO. and I was watching him after he blew a tackle on, I think, the

third play of the game, he stunk it up. After that, he made one good tackle but his guys were beating him regularly. So, other than not being able to cover his man and not  being able to tackle, he "played great". Ugh.

I meant to notate that- Davis has looked great in camp and had one great play early on, but had a few whiffs last night that were just ugly. I think he will be fine but it was definitely an off night.

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

That pick was behind Ivory. I put that on Nate.

Allen's arm is a cannon, though! 

I think all three QBs played pretty well, but they also each showed their weaknesses, IMO.

It was slightly behind. But that's a catch you have to make at the NFL level. Not every single pass is going to be dead on the money. That pick is absolutely on Ivory. And I am 100% NOT a Peterman fan. But No way can I blame that on him.

Edited by CLTbills

4 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

It was slightly behind. But that's a catch you have to make at the NFL level. Not every single pass is going to be dead on the money. That pick is absolutely on Ivory. And I am 100% NOT a Peterman fan. But No way can I blame that on him.

I, too, thought the pass was very catchable.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Considering the fact that no cuts need to be made until Sept 1st and based on 4 or 5 snaps its not happening.

8 minutes ago, richNjoisy said:

I, too, thought the pass was very catchable.

I thought it was thrown way too far behind him,he had to turn and it went off his back shoulder.

That pass should have lead the RB not make him twist to touch or attempt to catch it.

Other than that NP had a good showing.

I also meant to highlight the blown 4th down near the goal line for the 3rd string: From what I recall the second the ball was snapped Allen was under pressure (I think the left tackle missed an assignment or just didn’t anticipate the blitz). He tried to stay on his feet and make something happen, but he had someone at his heels the entire play. He tried for the heroics but ultimately should have thrown the ball away. I’ll chalk it up mostly to his rookie status and the line not expecting the blitz. He will learn as he continues to grow, and it could have ended a lot worse than that.