Helped themselves/Hurt themselves Preseason Game 1

folz

Ike Boettger definitely looked like a keeper and for a UDFA, that would be real good.

I'm not a Whaley/Nix hater, but I sure wish they'd have been better with their OL picks. 

Beane got a good one with this guy.

7 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

Helped themselves

Newhouse, played well at LT with second unit, good depth player

Julian Stanford, late penalty notwhithstanding (as Edmunds back up)

Lacey on ST

Hurt themselves

Lafayette Pitts, was really bad in coverage 

Secondary as a whole was bad in the 2nd half

I thought Julian Stanford looked awful. He was wearing number 51 right? He was the one guy that stuck out to me as, "this guy has no business being on this team." Got burned, overran plays, I didn't see him make a good play (I did miss a bit of the late 2nd and early 3rd quarters putting my son to bed, so it's possible he made some good plays and I missed them.)

Edited by CLTbills

10 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I thought Julian Stanford looked awful. He was wearing number 51 right? He was the one guy that stuck out to me as, "this guy has no business being on this team." Got burned, overran plays, I didn't see him make a good play (I did miss a bit of the late 2nd and early 3rd quarters putting my son to bed, so it's possible he made some good plays and I missed them.)

He also had a personal foul on a third down, as well as a holding call on another earlier third down. The guy is a mountain of muscle but he definitely had a bad night.

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

All I saw Logan Thomas do was throw some good blocks. How did that hurt?

To be honest, I didn't notice his blocking much, except for the one play that the announcers mentioned him. If he was blocking well, maybe that takes him off the hurt themselves list. I put him there because he dropped one or two passes, while the guys behind him at TE made some plays. But maybe I was wrong with him.

Edited by folz

1 minute ago, folz said:

To be honest, I didn't notice his blocking much, except for the one play that the announcers mentioned him. If he was blocking well, maybe that takes him off the hurt themselves list. I put him there because he dropped one or two passes, while the guys behind him at TE made some plays.

I think you are mistaking him for someone, pretty sure he had 1 target and caught that for 2 yards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

51 Linebacker had a rough night, loved what I saw from RB Murphy, may be a diamond in the rough

Yeah. Agreed. A couple of my Panthers-fan friends commented on Murphy as well and how good he looked.

CLTBills;

Could not agree with you more. Julian Sanford was horrendous the whole time he was on the field. He was burned in coverage numerous times and then the penalty that kept a drive alive along with another penalty as well was not good. 

I will say that I was impressed with the 1's and 2's for the most part but those that are fighting for roster spots especially those 3rd safety's and corners left something to be desired as they were burned over and over on the the same play the comeback route. They are dropping too deep off in coverage and Carolina saw that and  easily exploited it the entire 2nd half.  Tackling by the 3's was also just as bad about time for McD to put that group through the wringer and work on tackling mechanics for sure.  The other player that had real issues was RB Keith Ford, he had a horrible night with penalties and missed assignments.

As a whole I really liked what i saw from this team last night, his is a game where they can take from the many positives and grow on it along with cleaning up some of the mental mistakes that plagued certain people last night.

8 hours ago, folz said:

Helped Themselves

Peterman

Murphy

Humber (really stood out amongst 2nd teamers)

RayRay

Shaq

Mike Love (making some plays with the third stringers)

Dirty Harry

Hurt themselves

Robert Foster

Keith Ford

Logan Thomas

Who am I missing? What have you got?

Humber-Helped himself? No way! That guy needs to be let go at the first set of cuts. He is horrible in pass coverage. 

Logan Thomas-Hurt themselves? Nope! He had what I could see 2 great blocks. It's not all about catches. 

Backups that impressed me:

Streater 

Ray Ray

Teller

Love

Backups that didn't impressed me & should be cut:

Humber

Wallace

LJ McCray

Foster

Proehl

For all the talk about Tremaine Edmunds, he really didn't do anything that impressed me. Only had 1 tackle, also had that 1 big miss tackle.

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Bills got 13 WRs in camp.  Cut him now and give his reps to someone who can make the PS.

Use his roster spot for another CB or OL.

Murphy is a RB not a WR..

2 hours ago, eee1776 said:

#51 Julian Stafford,  had that  personal foul that  kept Carolina's drive alive after a stop. Could have been the difference in the game.

I thought that penalty should've been against the offensive player, he lowered his head to initiate the contact with Stanford and Stanford hit him with his facemask. I'm curious to see how many penalties are called against the offense this year under that new helmet rule. 

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The thing is, he was REALLY bad, and yet he was open if not wide open if not running by defenders all night long. Not enough reason to keep him. He sucked. But that is a talent we don't have. 

Coleman is that guy. Probably why we traded for him.