Josh Allen ain’t bad

29 minutes ago, Fred Clause said:

Only haters with an agenda why do you ask?

At what point will his completion % be of interest to you?

Do you root for the Bills?  

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Why is this interesting? I would wager most of those were hail marys. Most QBs can't shoot the ball 60+ yards downfield with a flick of the wrist so obviously most offenses don't bother trying. I hope we throw deep a ton this year. Tooo many times I've seen the Bills secondary get a DPI on long throws and the past couple years we haven't tried to be the beneficiaries of that.

It's interesting in that long throws aren't as commonplace as you might think.

I would like to see a stat on 50+ yard passes.  I agree 60 is exceedingly long.

50 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Great stat from Aaron Schatz today.

Only 17 passes in the entire NFL in the last 5 years have travelled more than 60 yards in the air.  

Only 4 of them were caught.

Last year at Wyoming, Allen completed ONE (1) pass that traveled 40 yards in the air (or more).

Interesting. 

Now tell us what % of those were TDs.

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

60+ yard passes aren't commonplace because there are about 3 QBs in the NFL that can consistently throw that deep. But anyways throwing the deep ball is the least important part of having an arm like Josh Allen's. I'm sure you already knew that.

I'll echo what I said earlier too. As impressive as his arm strength is, his pocket presence last night was right on par. That's something I didn't expect to see based on his college tape. And I credit the Bills coaches for properly developing him as a QB (did i just say that?).

Edited by HappyDays

I’ve never seen a guy get so criticized nationally.

I understand his college stats weren’t good, and that he does have some issues with accuracy, but I think a lot can be excused to poor footwork, which I think comes from bad coaching. This is a staff that prides itself on coaching if the players show the proper work habits. 

In general there’s a lot of pressure on Allen and I think the organization can feel that, and realizes he has immense talent but is raw and could benefit from most or all of the year on the bench. 

I think its part of why they just had him throw that bomb to open the 2nd half. Blow some steam. Wow the crowd with the arm strength. 

Overall I liked his game. He showed better accuracy than I’ve seen on a lot of his short stuff. And as posted by others, the receivers did not help him at all. His mobility is also pretty impressive. 

Overall he's an an amazing talent. But he’s EXTREMELY raw, in my opinion. He needs a year to sit, work on his footwork, accuracy and touch and he’ll be ready in 2019. Remember we’re lookibg at the long-term now, not just this year. 

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you came out of there unimpressed by Allen you didn’t watch the game. I was with some Steeler fans and they were blown away. The one guy was all fired up yelling at us “how can you not love this guy?!?” He was fantastic. Allen is a great athlete, with a cannon. He made 4 or 5 throws in that game that no one other than Aaron Rodgers can make. I’m excited to see him play with Corey Coleman so he can run under those bombs. Allen played with a garbage OL and CFL receivers.

I didn't see the game and just saw the video of all his throws and some of his runs.  I agree with you.  Allen is major league talent and he is not far away.  

First, to state the obvious, he has elite arm talent. He can make every throw, he can throw under pressure, he can throw off balance, etc.

Second, he has anticipation and guts. Completed one over the middle where he threw to the receiver before he uncovered. It was exactly the thro that Taylor rarely made. 

Third, he has pocket presence and eacapability.  

Fourth, he can run.

I think he's closer to starting than most people think.  Yes, he looked like a rookie some of the time, but those other two guys are not going to make the throws the guy is making already. 

I was impressed.  If he isn't starting soon, it means one of the other two is playing really well.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't see the game and just saw the video of all his throws and some of his runs.  I agree with you.  Allen is major league talent and he is not far away.  

First, to state the obvious, he has elite arm talent. He can make every throw, he can throw under pressure, he can throw off balance, etc.

Second, he has anticipation and guts. Completed one over the middle where he threw to the receiver before he uncovered. It was exactly the thro that Taylor rarely made. 

Third, he has pocket presence and eacapability.  

Fourth, he can run.

I think he's closer to starting than most people think.  Yes, he looked like a rookie some of the time, but those other two guys are not going to make the throws the guy is making already. 

I was impressed.  If he isn't starting soon, it means one of the other two is playing really well.

Completely agree.  I'm impressed with his ball placement.  1 or 2 throws off the mark looked like miscommunication with the wr on the route.  Allen with Benjamin and Coleman is a massive difference from Foster and Proehl.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

At what point will his completion % be of interest to you?

Do you root for the Bills?  

I would like to see a stat on 50+ yard passes.  I agree 60 is exceedingly long.

So Is Completion % and Indication of Accuracy. NOPE why because proof is his first NFL pass was on a dime but because the WR drifted and carried it Out of Bounds it is incomplete. 

Personally, I'm not disappointed that Peterman and McCarron played well.  Everybody knows Josh Allen is the future of the franchise, assuming he doesn't turn out to be a complete flop.  I honestly think there are things he can learn while remaining in a back up role.  I have no problem being patient for a while.  Whether Allen's starting role begins after 4 games or 10 games, or not until 2019 the QB situation for the Bills bodes well both for immediate and long term success.  I'm much happier with a Bills team that has multiple competent QBs than I have been in the past where they've struggled to get one competent guy on the field.

15 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

None sports talk. He looked like he was swimming in his head, was not caught up with what's happening, which leads to not being able to hold other players accountable.

What's laughable is for you to pretend you know what I'm thinking.

You could make a real observation, or just talk **** because you have nothing of value to say. Welcome to my ignore list, champ.

Won't care at all. Because you sound like some dumb 40 or 50 something who played high school ball and thinks he knows what having command of a huddle means.

Save it for someone dumber than me. Lol you're ignore list. Oh for the life of me, what will I do now

Scrambled well when he had to.

Was it 1 or 2 first downs he scrambled for, before taking 50+ yard shots that out paced his WR's???

J Allen is special. Imagine a QB that can chuck it off his back foot 50+ yards on any play, or scramble for 5-10.

That is Josh Allen.

J Allen had a higher YPC average than even Murphy.

Murphey was at 5.0 ypc last game, and looked amazing.

J Allen was even better rushing YPC, and can throw it 50-60+ on any play.

Something to think about.

Edited by RocCityRoller

On 8/10/2018 at 3:26 AM, Boatdrinks said:

Hey, I loved Watson too, but I get it. They had a GM that was already a goner, knew it and didn’t want to saddle a new GM with someone’s else’s QB pick. Not every GM was high on Watson, so it was just a matter of bad circumstance. 2018 was widely considered to be a better QB year, and the team wasn’t expected to do well in 2017. So a high pick seemed likely. Stuff happens while you’re making other plans. They’ll give Allen a chance to show he can be a QB before deciding that he can’t. 

I can get behind this...good post!

When people talk about arm strength, I so often see the argument "Well how often do NFL QBs throw deep anyway?!", as if to discount it as an important trait.

Here's the thing: Arm strength is not primarily ABOUT his ability to throw the deep ball. It's about his ability to fit the ball into tight spaces and to get the ball to the receiver before the defender has a chance to make a play on it. For visual representation, watch Peterman throw a curl or 5-yard out, then watch Allen do it. 

Watching the preseason game, I didn't care a lick about the two incomplete deep balls Allen threw. I was much more interested in the over-the-middle throw, the touchdown throw, and the play where he was fading away and hit Khari Lee. THOSE were the throws that showed the importance of arm strength.  

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:08 AM, rodneykm said:

He has immense potential that the negative Nancy's will try their best to put down. He wasn't perfect tonight ( again queue the Negative Nancy's), but for a rookie he was impressive.

Hope Donald Downer never hooks up with Negative Nancy. ?  

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

When people talk about arm strength, I so often see the argument "Well how often do NFL QBs throw deep anyway?!", as if to discount it as an important trait.

Here's the thing: Arm strength is not primarily ABOUT his ability to throw the deep ball. It's about his ability to fit the ball into tight spaces and to get the ball to the receiver before the defender has a chance to make a play on it. For visual representation, watch Peterman throw a curl or 5-yard out, then watch Allen do it. 

Watching the preseason game, I didn't care a lick about the two incomplete deep balls Allen threw. I was much more interested in the over-the-middle throw, the touchdown throw, and the play where he was fading away and hit Khari Lee. THOSE were the throws that showed the importance of arm strength.  

...seen plenty of "cannons" in my 56 years of following the NFL/Buffalo...some had either the "home run ball" or struck out, with NOTHING in between....others had the home run ball but could still hit the single, double or triple effectively, based on what the "D" gave up....if the cannon is the only weapon in your toolbox arsenal, good luck.....

On 8/9/2018 at 9:44 PM, donbb said:

Kelvin Benjamin ain't bad

For all the crap I said about him he looks amazing so far

.. but that was him that dropped the ball and popped it up in the middle for an int right? Horrible. You drop the ball downwards if you feel like dropping it

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

32 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

For all the crap I said about him he looks amazing so far

.. but that was him that dropped the ball and popped it up in the middle for an int right? Horrible. You drop the ball downwards if you feel like dropping it

that was Ivory

On 8/9/2018 at 8:01 PM, zow2 said:

Allen wasn’t the incompetent, bumbling, inaccurate fool I was half expecting him to be....based on some of the “experts”.  He definitely has some tools and didn’t look overwhelmed out there.  Kinda saw a little Carson Wentz in his game.  All in all, he won’t be starting right away but the future looks good.

Agreed, I was expecting a rough night, and I'm an allen supporter. But my 2 favorite things I saw was confidence, and making things happen with his legs. I'm not a tyrod hater, but I never saw that look of confidence in his eyes that's hes gonna go out gun slingin , just my opinion. And as for Allen's legs, I dont want him running and getting hurt, but showed enough athleticism that defenses will have to respect him.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Fantastic stuff here! ?