Josh Allen ain’t bad

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How about the back foot to Khari Lee right before it? That was another Rodgers special. Considering the OL he played behind and the receivers that he played with I was thrilled. He looked way better than anyone expected.

I mentioned in the game thread those are the kind of throws that a normal QB usually chucks up and if it gets completed it is because it ends up being woefully underthrown  and the receiver makes a play to come back for it - but that throw was right on the money over the defender in perfect position.  It was a crazy throw under pressure.

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Peterman and McCarron had better stats but it was easy to see who has the most talent.

For the first time in 35 years, it looks like the Bills drafted themselves a gem at QB.

That’s how I came out of that game (and I was thrilled with the play of Peterman and McCarron). We got great play from the QBs.

On that note, a game ball goes to Brian Daboll for his design. It was night and day from Rico.

• Like (+1) 4

Folks are talking about the arm strength but that's missing the point - we knew he had that.

What I saw last night was a concerted effort by Daboll to make Allen throw short touch passes as well (screens, dumps, flats, etc.) because that's a key area he didn't get exposed to in college.  And he did surprisingly well at it.

I guarantee you the coaches are happier about that than anything else.

Didn't love the 4th down play but maybe - unlike Tyrod - he actually knew it was 4th down and had to take a shot.

Not sure about that TD - the coaches might not love that throw, against decent safeties that might be a 100-yard pick-six.  Maybe not, maybe Allen's ball has eyes on it, like Eichel's passes.  We'll soon find out.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Serious question. Was this a perfectly timed pass threaded through the defenders to a place where only his guy could catch it, or an underthrown ball that the WR made a great play on?

looked to me like the WR was suppose to continue to the corner and the pass should hit him in stride.  But he Had to comeback for it.

great TD regardless.

IMO, there is no way a receiver could react in time to a errant missile.  That had to be planned route at the pylon.  

I was texting a friend during the game last night, and it is so hard to determine what the issue was for Allen and the Offense. I've said it in other places (including this board earlier) but it looked so much like his days at Wyoming, especially 2017. He was running for his life half the time, receivers weren't open, dropping passes or not putting in full effort as others mentioned Foster, and in general it looked like a fire drill out there. 

I'm sure it's easier for the coaches, but it still must be quite a challenge to evaluate where Allen is in his development when it seems everything was just a cluster out on the field. IMHO, it is near impossible to truly evaluate Allen without AT LEAST giving him the #2 unit to work with. We saw AJ and he did well enough with that unit - which by the way after the initial sack they looked quite good and I don't think depth on the O-line is as much of an issue as some thought it might be - so Allen should be able to do something similar if not better. Overall, it was a typical Rookie showing: signs of promise and tremendous talent and not just the arm and signs of needing more time to develop. But, I hope they give him the 2s in the 4th game for at least a Quarter or four series to see where he is truly at......assuming he doesn't win the job out-right which at this rate with Peterman and AJ, I don't think it happens nor do I believe it should. We all knew he needed time....with Peterman / AJ holding the spot, and presuming the Offense can continue to produce, there's no pressure to get him on the field too soon and destroy the budding star in Buffalo. 

Was hoping to see more progress with his footwork...seems like all his bad habits are still there (which is probably to be expected this early but I was still hoping anyways). Seemed to throw a more accurate ball last night than usual despite the same footwork flaws though. He still reminds me a lot of Cam Newton, which makes me very excited.

Really happy with the playcalling from Daboll. Makes me wish we had him last year; I never understood playing Tyrod while transitioning away from the shotgun handoffs that Buffalo excelled so much with under Tyrod/Rex

Edited by DCOrange

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

We can't make excuses for him either. That's the kind of stupid play that results in -7 point momentum-changer.

"Nothing to lose" isn't accurate. The Bills were still in the game.

Dude it's preseason. I don't even think of it as a game, it's a series of practice scrimmages. In a real game we wouldn't have even gone for it there. It was just an opportunity to practice a play, but the play got blown up and Allen tried to make something happen on his own. Who really cares?

• Like (+1) 1

Out of his 19 passes, there were 2 that he shouldn't have thrown, a couple drops and 2 missed long balls. There were about 4 really, really impressive throws. The other 5 completions were short and showed touch.

The biggest take away, didn't see the inaccuracy that seemed to be his problem in college. All in all I came away impressed by what he did considering the talent level around him and what he was given to work with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s how I came out of that game (and I was thrilled with the play of Peterman and McCarron). We got great play from the QBs.

On that note, a game ball goes to Brian Daboll for his design. It was night and day from Rico.

I am so beyond thrilled that he's working with the Jets.

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Jesus Christ, how much stupid sports talk radio do you listen to? To make an observation like that, it's laughable. What a dumb cliche. 

But according to the other poster I quoted, he needs to command that huddle.

None sports talk. He looked like he was swimming in his head, was not caught up with what's happening, which leads to not being able to hold other players accountable.

What's laughable is for you to pretend you know what I'm thinking.

You could make a real observation, or just talk **** because you have nothing of value to say. Welcome to my ignore list, champ.

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

For some on this board and their obvious NFL expertise over the likes of Jim Miller and Phill Simms I was waiting for a stuttering idiot that was supposed to be the next Jamarcus Russell

If you read the insight from the national media it is an absolute certainty that Allen's ceiling is a homeless man's Jamarcus Russell after a full lobotomy. 

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Good view of his TD pass:

Wow!!

That's ridiculous on so many levels!

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Serious question. Was this a perfectly timed pass threaded through the defenders to a place where only his guy could catch it, or an underthrown ball that the WR made a great play on?

looked to me like the WR was suppose to continue to the corner and the pass should hit him in stride.  But he Had to comeback for it.

great TD regardless.

Looked like to me he was slowing down into the only area he could have received the ball.  That safety help would have picked it off if it would have led him.

Just now, Your Brown Eye said:

Now we know why his highlight reel during his time at Alabama consisted of 3 plays

Robert Foster was making me livid last night......

Your a deep threat speed guy

You have a QB throwing the ball in your area deep

Stretch out and  MAKE A DAMN PLAY

Josh Allen showed some good stuff last night...imagine of Foster caught those deep throws that he didnt even bother to make a play on?

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Robert Foster was making me livid last night......

Your a deep threat speed guy

You have a QB throwing the ball in your area deep

Stretch out and  MAKE A DAMN PLAY

Josh Allen showed some good stuff last night...imagine of Foster caught those deep throws that he didnt even bother to make a play on?

Corey Coleman, you just lucked into a great opportunity. Put your past behind you and take advantage, young man.